224 replies to this topic

#41 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Those are players who take hits on a regular basis and wear the appropriate equipment. And in case you have been living under a rock for the last 10 years the NFL has been going extra miles to protect quarterbacks, kickers and defenseless receivers from the hits you are talking about because it's bad for the player and bad for the game when they get knocked out for a season.

Goalies already need to be careful, they are vacating their net. That's the risk, giving up an empty net goal to a strong forechecking team if you are sloppy. You don't need to paint giant red target symbols on them to have some kind of weird punishment to deter them from doing so.

That wasn't my point on the NFL. What I was saying is they put together videos of actual plays and explain whether it should or should not have been called for roughing the passer or defenseless reciever, or whatever the case may be. I know, because I have seen many of these videos. I ref semi-pro football, we use NFL rules and members of my group are friends with current nfl officials who will bring the videos to our meetings/training sessions. Point is, IF the NHL ever decided to make the goalie fair game when they leave the crease, they would have to do the same to show when it is ok to hit him and when it is not. Like I said earlier, doubt it becomes open-season on the goalies. Coaches would fear retribution if teams started to really light up the opposing goalie.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#42 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

You know what Matteau bitch? You are a secret admirer. Like other Rags fans, you envy Devils' accomplishments over your pathetic team for 30 years and you act like you hate devils but actually, deep down you like them. Maybe, you even hate your loser gay team because you know Rangers are one of the most hated, if not the most, NHL franchises unlike Devils. Go post here and masturbate while replying devils fans in this forum with your bullsh!t. I am not gonna even respond to you again. I thought that this forum is a classy and quality Devils forum where I would like to read opinions of other Devils fans like me but I think I am wrong. Wherever I go, these stupid rags fans appear even here. Just show your quality and ban this guy. He is ENEMY...

I really wonder which team is the most hated. Wasn't there a poll a few years ago on this? I could swear there was and the Flyers were in the top 3.

#43 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

Maybe, you even hate your loser gay team because you know Rangers are one of the most hated...

Okay, pal, this is where I draw the line.

If the Rangers want to be gay, that's nobody's business but their own.

If they want to celebrate each win by getting naked, oiling up and having a congo line through the locker room, that's up to them.

If they want to spend off-seasons in Key West, Fire Island or San Francisco, I say....good for 'em!

If they want to see how far they can get a lubed hockey stick up...ya know...that does not concern you!

New York Rangers...I may hate you for what you do on the ice...but I support you in your fight against homophobia.

BE PROUD TO BE GAY!

[waves rainbow flag]
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#44 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

That wasn't my point on the NFL. What I was saying is they put together videos of actual plays and explain whether it should or should not have been called for roughing the passer or defenseless reciever, or whatever the case may be. I know, because I have seen many of these videos. I ref semi-pro football, we use NFL rules and members of my group are friends with current nfl officials who will bring the videos to our meetings/training sessions. Point is, IF the NHL ever decided to make the goalie fair game when they leave the crease, they would have to do the same to show when it is ok to hit him and when it is not. Like I said earlier, doubt it becomes open-season on the goalies. Coaches would fear retribution if teams started to really light up the opposing goalie.

Why even bother making goalies fair game to run? What is the possible benefit? As a "semi-pro" ref you should be ashamed that you are suggesting such a change that will obviously be exploited. "Oh we are just going to make this rule, then make videos to explain how to properly use apply it, and then act in horror when people abuse it to take some goalies head off in a moment of frustration derp derp".

#45 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,248 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

haha, too funny. Here we go again, but this time the guy only has 2 posts. This obviously HAS to be someone's dual ID. This clown even pm'd me.

can't watch. you tube blocked.

Just to go on record, it isn't me. At least I have the decency to tell you what I think straight from my normal name :P

Edited by Satans Hockey, 22 May 2012 - 10:18 AM.

#46 Microwavepizza

Microwavepizza

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

If they want to celebrate each win by getting naked, oiling up and having a congo line through the locker room, that's up to them.

If they want to spend off-seasons in Key West, Fire Island or San Francisco, I say....good for 'em!

If they want to see how far they can get a lubed hockey stick up...ya know...that does not concern you!

New York Rangers...I may hate you for what you do on the ice...but I support you in your fight against homophobia.

BE PROUD TO BE GAY!

[waves rainbow flag]

im not getting involved in this topic...

i just came to say... that this is one hilarious post and you sir deserve 10000000 Internets and several hugs (and maybe some pudding)
POTATO!!!

#47 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

BE PROUD TO BE GAY!

[waves rainbow flag]

"Joey... do you like... movies about gladiators?"
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#48 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

Lunqvist is the reason the Rangers are where they are. Without him, they'd be a marginal playoff team. I hate him, and everyone who wears that uniform, but he's been the best in the league this year.

And yes, contract issues aside, you trade Marty for Lunqvist straight up in that alternative universe.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#49 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

by Sunday night, perhaps sooner, we'll have the answer as to who is better right now.

as for the question of who is better all-time, we have to wait at least a decade.

I'm leaning toward MB as the answer to both questions....

#50 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

When discussing whether or not goalies should be allowed to be hit, it's important to understand that their equipment is designed to prevent injury from being hit with pucks, not to resist against bodychecks. I thought it was fine the way it was. No need for the trapezoid, no need to let them get run over.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#51 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

fvck Lundqvist. fvck the Rangers.

#52 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

Which I said at the time was dumb. My belief has always been let the goalies go play the puck wherever, but let them be hit if they were out of their crease or not playing a shot. I don't think you would actually see goalies get lit up the way the powers that be believe it would happen. There would a be respect factor, for the same reason guys won't deliberately shoot at an opponent's head when they go down to block a shot. Would goalies get hit? Of course, but it wouldn't be open season. Players would be leery of their own goaltender getting run as retribution.

No, this is just wrong. Have you ever played high level hockey? Talk to a few players, especially the gritty, feisty guys and they will tell you they will take any opportunity to run the goalie if they know they can get away with it. Just like guys will take any opportunity to legally "punish" QBs in the NFL.

Edited by David Puddy, 22 May 2012 - 01:48 PM.

Posted Image

#53 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

@NJCroMag: Posted Image

If we are playing the "here and now" game I would take Smith or Quick over Lundqvist any day of the week.

I have to call BS on this.

You know what Matteau bitch? You are a secret admirer. Like other Rags fans, you envy Devils' accomplishments over your pathetic team for 30 years and you act like you hate devils but actually, deep down you like them. Maybe, you even hate your loser gay team because you know Rangers are one of the most hated, if not the most, NHL franchises unlike Devils. Go post here and masturbate while replying devils fans in this forum with your bullsh!t. I am not gonna even respond to you again. I thought that this forum is a classy and quality Devils forum where I would like to read opinions of other Devils fans like me but I think I am wrong. Wherever I go, these stupid rags fans appear even here. Just show your quality and ban this guy. He is ENEMY...

You're one of those teeny posters from Fire and Ice aren't you? I like how you imply this forum isn't classy with a completely unclassy post. We support debate here and stay away from name-calling. That's why we're the best hockey forum on the net. You don't like it? I'd rather have Matteau than you!

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#54 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

NFL refs are currently shown videos just like this on rules like head checks and head contact. They've worked reallly well, huh?

Edited by David Puddy, 22 May 2012 - 01:58 PM.

Posted Image

#55 daneyko_booster

daneyko_booster

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

I have to disagree with that, but that is a horse of a different color. Neither are ahead of Hasek, Tretiak, or Dryden (although what I saw of Dryden or Tretiak in their prime is limited to stuff on NHL Network and I guess in part from "folk lore".

Patrick Roy is the best goalie of all time. I love Marty as much as the next Devils fan, but he has never done anything like Roy in 1993. No goaltender in the history of the NHL has. Those ten overtime wins in a row, playing with the confidence he had and gave to his team, it was the most dominating performance a goaltender has ever delivered. He won the Conn Smythe every time he won the Cup, and he beat Marty head to head, giving up one goal in the final two games of the Devils choke job while Marty gave up 7.

Hasek didn't win enough, Dryden didn't play long enough, and Tretiak never played in the N, so there's not much to go on. He also really got lit up in the most important games in the 72 series. 6 goals a game.

When it comes to those Russians that never made it over here, I do have to say that Kharlamov was the best player I ever saw who didn't have Gretzky, Lemieux, or Messier on his back.
Official Keeper of Ken Daneyko's missing teeth, Jeff Friesen's moustache, Shanahan's Pub in the CAA concourse (only place you could buy Guinness). Unofficial Keeper of Wayne Gretzky's perm.

#56 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,472 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Well now -- you can say Roy delivered more than Marty -- but taken as a whole - I honestly would take Brodeur over Roy. I trust the rest of the team to cover for any gaffs Marty may come up with.

I think Marty is the better person in the locker room as well.

If we want to talk about insane skills Hasek.
Intensity and determination - I'd give the to Roy.
Puck handling - Brodeur

Best all-around player game in game out year to year - decade to decade... it's just Marty. Marty. Marty. Marty.

It just can't be about best individual performance because it's a team sport. That's just my opinion.

I'm here for the party

#57 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,372 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

I have one thing to say. Lundqvist will not age as well as Brodeur on the ice. As we seen with Potvin, reflex goaltenders that play deep don't play well deep into their 30's. Once they lose their reflexes they are doomed sitting on their goal line.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#58 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

"Joey... do you like... movies about gladiators?"

"You ever seen a grown man naked?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i800jcY1Q7A&feature=related
Posted Image

#59 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

I put Roy and Hasek ahead of Marty when we talk about just plain stopping the puck.

But Marty is one of the smartest and most well rounded goaltenders of all time. While Patrick had a standing/butterfly style, and Hasek had a wild stop-the-puck-at-all-costs style, Brodeur uses all kinds of different styles and techniques. Just watch how he handles breakaways. Sometimes it's a butterfly, sometimes paddle down, sometimes a poke check. There are times that he baits the shooter with the twitchy glove thing. My favorite is when he faces a right handed shooter on a break, he stacks the pads. The shooter can shoot into that. Or they can lift it, so Marty has his glove above the pads. If they pull left to the back hand, he pulls the glove behind his head and rolls through. In slow motion it's easy to beat. But at game speed, it's maddening to a shooter unless they can cut quick and go to the right and around the pads (like Briere in the shootout early this year). Very smart stuff. He loves catching guys with their head down.

The other thing about Marty is the longevity. Just one real bad half season in 18 years in the NHL. It's really incredible. I might choose Roy (in his prime) for a game 7, but I'd choose Marty (in his prime) to build a franchise.

Lunqvist on the other hand, while talented, plays a very boring style. Basically, it's 'be big'. It's effective, but not my thing. I prefer the days of athletic, reactionary goaltending.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#60 njdevils783

njdevils783

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

I have one thing to say. Lundqvist will not age as well as Brodeur on the ice. As we seen with Potvin, reflex goaltenders that play deep don't play well deep into their 30's. Once they lose their reflexes they are doomed sitting on their goal line.

Pretty much sums up his future career perfectly, reflex goaltenders while great initially quickly fade. Should be fun to watch the queen age over the next 4-6 years.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users