mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

imma resume this thread in 1 sentence

people feeding a troll

Shut your fvcking trap Matteau#32, imagine some lonely Devs fan trying to defend all the obnoxious things we've heard ever since marty step into the league from the sh!t he got from Rangers fans on a rangers board

yeah

Makes no sense at all

only Ranger fan that was truly tolerated was Derek(?) he went overboard sometime, but most of the regular could deal with it

I'll say this once and for all; I'm a Dev fan and I don't give a flying fvck about Henrik, I'm not gonna fantasize about calling him puffy cuz of his gear, not gonna call him a queen...Why? Cuz I'm not a retarded fan that'd follow what a 31year old retired guy would say ''fatso'' and chants of ''marty'' in msg so on, I care more about my team than hating a fvcking goalie that I don't give a fvck

Cya.

This coherent and thoughtful post added necessary insight to this discussion, and I for one am thankful for your contribution.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#82 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

To his credit, he didn't actually start this thread. One of the admins split most of this from the "HEENRIIK" chant thread after it got derailed pretty badly.

Oh, that's my bad then, did not realize that.

#83 abripper339

abripper339

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

I don't mind you making a spirited argument for your guy but you lose credibility with me when you make up "facts". He has been in the league and has been a Vezina finalist (top 3 in voting) 3.5 times, always as an also-ran (before this year obviously). That's not 5 or 6 out of 7.

2006: Finished third (Couldn't find the vote totals quickly but recall that Kiprusoff was the winner in a landslide over Brodeur and Lundqvist)
2007: Finished tied for third (Brodeur 122, Luongo 116, Kiprusoff 7, Lundqvist 7)
2008: Finished third (Brodeur 113, Nabokov 106, Lundqvist 8)
2012: ? (will likely win and will finish no worse than 2nd)

Worth noting: The only goalie with more top 3 finishes in that time is Marty.

soul owned.

#84 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

Playoff performance by age 30?

Lundqvist: 25-28, 2.27 GAA, 4 SERIES wins.
Brodeur: 67-48, 1.88 GAA, 2 CUP wins, 3 Finals appearances, 14 SERIES wins.

Have a good day.

#85 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

The Salvador shot he just didnt see until it was directly in front of him. Salvador just got it through, a seeing-eye shot as Olcyzk (I think) kept saying last night. The Parise shot? Lundqvist does tend to give up rebounds. The difference is the rangers skaters have been great all year at controlling the rebounds and/or tying up opponents so they can't get to rebounds. On that play, it just didn't happen. Not worried. Has been this teams M.O. all year and especially this play-offs.

well its gone from rattled to not that good.....told you that you shouldve been worried

edit...i take this back

Edited by justdo3043, 23 May 2012 - 09:17 PM.

"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#86 Mindcrime30

Mindcrime30

Draft Pick

• Pond Hockey
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

Have a good day.

/thread
Posted Image

#87 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

Have a good day.

Posted Image

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#88 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

Have a good day.

Z-Man coming down with the HAMMER!!!
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#89 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

Well, he sure picked the worst time to have a lousy game. Will respond to the rest of the stuff tomorrow.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#90 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

Well, he sure picked the worst time to have a lousy game. Will respond to the rest of the stuff tomorrow.

picked huh....more liked cracked....rattleedddddd
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#91 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

I mean not for nothing, but he didn't just play lousy last night, he played lousy on Monday as well.

#92 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

fitting no

#93 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

I don't mind you making a spirited argument for your guy but you lose credibility with me when you make up "facts". He has been in the league and has been a Vezina finalist (top 3 in voting) 3.5 times, always as an also-ran (before this year obviously). That's not 5 or 6 out of 7.

2006: Finished third (Couldn't find the vote totals quickly but recall that Kiprusoff was the winner in a landslide over Brodeur and Lundqvist)
2007: Finished tied for third (Brodeur 122, Luongo 116, Kiprusoff 7, Lundqvist 7)
2008: Finished third (Brodeur 113, Nabokov 106, Lundqvist 8)
2012: ? (will likely win and will finish no worse than 2nd)

Worth noting: The only goalie with more top 3 finishes in that time is Marty.

Believe he was also on the list for 2009. I was counting this year as well. Whatever it is, 4, 5, doesn't matter. Point is, he has had a lot more than 1 good year.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#94 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

Facts:
Cups won (most important): Marty-3 Princess-0
Vezinas: Marty-4 Princess-0
Reg. Season Wins: Marty-656 (34.52... wins avg/season; 55% win rate/gp) Princess-252 (36 wins avg/season; 53% win rate/gp)
Shutouts: Marty-119 Princess-43

Although Princess has a better win avg per season, I included Marty's rookie year (4gp, excluding that year would bring him up to 36.44... avg).

Are you really comparing career compiled numbers of one goalie who has been in the league for 19 years to another who has been in the league for 7?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#95 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

Have a good day.

Again, not a fair argument. When Brodeur became the full-time starter he was the final piece of the puzzle. The team was built and they needed a real #1 goalie. When Lundqvist became the #1, they were coming off 7 straight play-off misses, and he was the first (guess you can say 2nd if you want to count Jagr as the start as he did put up some huge numbers) piece of the puzzle. Off the top of my head, I don't think ANYONE from Lundqvist's first 3 years are still on the team. Now, the team is finally come together and we will have to re-visit these comparisons when Lundqvist is retired. Like saying Jagr was better than Sakic because Jagr had 2 cups by his 21st bday, yet Sakic did not.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#96 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

I mean not for nothing, but he didn't just play lousy last night, he played lousy on Monday as well.

Not really. Should he have prevented the rebound on the Parise shot? Probably, but goalies give up rebounds. D didn't do the job on that play by letting Parise stand there and whack at the puck. 1st goal was just a perfect (or lucky) shot that found it's way through a bunch of bodies and he didnt see the puck til it was too late. 2nd goal he had no chance on.

you should be just as worried about Marty as you claim I should be about Lundqvist. The most aggravating part of Wednesday is that Marty was clearly off and the Rangers couldn't bury some opportunities. That's hockey, but he has not looked stellar.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#97 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

Are you really comparing career compiled numbers of one goalie who has been in the league for 19 years to another who has been in the league for 7?

Z-man's comparison is fairer:

Have a good day.

But I'll admit that back then, it was easier to keep a team together...three mainstays on D (two Hall-of-Famers), a fourth in Rafalski who was also very important...in this era it'd damned near impossible to keep all of those players around for so long.

Anyway, one player's story has pretty much been written in Brodeur (and it's a hell of a story that might have the ultimate ending), and the other one's still has a long way to go in Lundqvist. Hard to say what Lundqvist's legacy will ultimately be.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#98 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

Again, not a fair argument. When Brodeur became the full-time starter he was the final piece of the puzzle. The team was built and they needed a real #1 goalie. When Lundqvist became the #1, they were coming off 7 straight play-off misses, and he was the first (guess you can say 2nd if you want to count Jagr as the start as he did put up some huge numbers) piece of the puzzle. Off the top of my head, I don't think ANYONE from Lundqvist's first 3 years are still on the team. Now, the team is finally come together and we will have to re-visit these comparisons when Lundqvist is retired. Like saying Jagr was better than Sakic because Jagr had 2 cups by his 21st bday, yet Sakic did not.

Actually, what the Devils needed more than anything else was a blueprint for success. Up until '94 they hadn't found one...this is reflected in their right-around-.500 season records, and their middle-of-the-pack GF-GA, despite having several talented players on the roster. Lou had done a great job assembling ingredients to that point, but had yet to find the right cook. He thought that man would be Herb Brooks, but he was a near-disaster as head coach of the Devils. When Lou hired Jacques Lemaire, Lemaire was able to put a system in place that finally allowed the Devils' considerable on-ice talent to mesh. Brodeur was also the perfect goalie at just the right time...Terreri was solid, but clearly nowhere near Brodeur's league.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 25 May 2012 - 07:54 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#99 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

Actually, what the Devils needed more than anyhting else was a blueprint for success. Up until '94 they hadn't found one...this is reflected in their right-around-.500 season records, and their middle-of-the-pack GF-GA, despite having several talented players on the roster. Lou had done a great job assembling ingredients to that point, but had yet to find the right cook. He thought that man would be Herb Brooks, but he was a near-disaster as head coach of the Devils. When Lou hired Jacques Lemaire, Lemaire was able to put a system in place that finally allowed the Devils' considerable on-ice talent to mesh. Brodeur was also the perfect goalie at just the right time...Terreri was solid, but clearly nowhere near Brodeur's league.

Point is, the pieces were there. Just a matter of getting it together with 94 being case of the Devils having to lose before they can win, like 92 was for the Rangers. Terreri I saw like a Sean Burke, Glen Healy type. A good goalie, a goalie capable of getting hot and raising some eye brows, but for the most part would need all the stars and planet to properly align for them to lead a team to a cup. Or, just be on a team that was ridiculously talented. Along the lines of the 80's Oilers and Islanders, or 70s Habs.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#100 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

Z-man's comparison is fairer:

But I'll admit that back then, it was easier to keep a team together...three mainstays on D (two Hall-of-Famers), a fourth in Rafalski who was also very important...in this era it'd damned near impossible to keep all of those players around for so long.

Anyway, one player's story has pretty much been written in Brodeur (and it's a hell of a story that might have the ultimate ending), and the other one's still has a long way to go in Lundqvist. Hard to say what Lundqvist's legacy will ultimately be.

Plain and simple ... unless that ending includes at least 400+ more wins, 70+ more shutouts, and 3 Stanley Cups, then Henrik's legacy will always be overshadowed by Marty's.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users