224 replies to this topic

#141 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

I wasn't one of the ones jumping on him for the obvious...

I wasn't talking about you, for what it's worth. Like ben00rs said, a couple of noobs have gotten antagonistic with a couple people, and I think it's a problem. Like crasher said before, a bunch of good posters have left the board, and the discussions are getting more and more stale. Manta was blatantly wrong, but he got run off for defending his opinion about Kovy. I hope we see him more and more, he seems to be working his way back in, but losing a poster that good (and full of sh!t as his Kovy predictions were, he's a damn good poster) is a blow, especially when the people who ran him off add NOTHING.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#142 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

Manta was blatantly wrong, but he got run off for defending his opinion about Kovy. I hope we see him more and more, he seems to be working his way back in, but losing a poster that good (and full of sh!t as his Kovy predictions were, he's a damn good poster) is a blow, especially when the people who ran him off add NOTHING.

This exactly. I was just about to add the manta example.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#143 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

Manta's never bothered me with his constant woe posts. He's a very opinionated fan with unique ideas about the direction of the team. It just so happens that his predictions for what would happen have been completely wrong. I don't think he deserves to get run off (if thats how he feels), but at the least he is a fan of the team and wants the best. He just didn't agree with the direction. I love it when fans of the team have different viewpoints. None of us can really change anything alone.

As for Matteau, I've felt from the beginning that he was here to troll. I get that he engaged in intelligent discussion with some of the posters, but he was clearly here to get a rise out of everyone. He was only here to big up the Rags on a Devils board, which is silly and rather annoying. It'd be one thing if he was gracious after losing, instead he disappears. I can't even imagine the "I told ya so" crap he'd be posting now.

#144 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

The problem with Manta isn't that he defended his opinion on Kovalchuk, it's that he shouted it in virtually every thread about the Devils. We all knew his opinion on Kovy but he kept shoving it in our faces when it wasn't even relevant to the discussion, which is a lot different than just defending it.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#145 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

The problem with Manta isn't that he defended his opinion on Kovalchuk, it's that he shouted it in virtually every thread about the Devils. We all knew his opinion on Kovy but he kept shoving it in our faces when it wasn't even relevant to the discussion, which is a lot different than just defending it.

Its better to have Manta than to not and we shouldn't bring this up now that he is posting again but your statement has truth to it. Of course he was also ridiculed in every thread he did so in.

#146 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

As for Matteau, I've felt from the beginning that he was here to troll. I get that he engaged in intelligent discussion with some of the posters, but he was clearly here to get a rise out of everyone. He was only here to big up the Rags on a Devils board, which is silly and rather annoying. It'd be one thing if he was gracious after losing, instead he disappears. I can't even imagine the "I told ya so" crap he'd be posting now.

I don't think of Matteau as a pure troll, but agree that he liked stirring the pot. And I agree 100% that he would've been intolerably brutal had his team won the series. If he had just poked in here to say "Nice series, sucks that we lost, see ya later", I would've been fine with him.

I like Manta too...but whether he wanted to come off this way or not, along with beating his feelings about Kovy into the ground in one too many threads, almost to the point of becoming a characature (sp?), it was beginning to seem like he wanted to see the Devils and Kovy fail just to prove his point. Quite a few posters were not on board with the Kovy signing, and I was one of them, but Manta was becoming shrill about it. And I think that wasn't the "real" Manta...he was an excellent poster in the football threads, and I have had several pleasant conversations with him, both public and private, as well as some great debates. I would love to see him contribute again. Manta can have some extreme observations at times, but the board is better with him than without him.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 28 May 2012 - 07:15 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#147 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

Right now we have basically no fans of different teams on NJDevs (they've left)....and to continue to be a great board we need to make an effort to make this a great place for all fans of hockey to come and post.

I liked the Sens fans and the Sabres fan, both quality posters but I'll also agree to disagree with you about the current state of other teams fans on this message board. It's a Devils board after all and having all Devils fans isn't a bad thing. Personally I'd be happy with never having any Rangers fans on this board because I have no use for them.

And when it comes to disrespecting Matteau, I was the one who started telling him to get the fvck off here because I watched him do his same trolling nonsense back in 2006 and in 2008 and I knew he was going to do the same stuff in these playoffs.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 28 May 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#148 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

It's a Devils board after all and having all Devils fans isn't a bad thing. Personally I'd be happy with never having any Rangers fans on this board because I have no use for them.

And when it comes to disrespecting Matteau, I was the one who started telling him to get the fvck off here because I watched him do his same trolling nonsense back in 2006 and in 2008 and I knew he was going to do the same stuff in these playoffs.

I agree, it's a Devils board, not an NHL board...don't think it's imperative that other team's fans come in here for the board to flourish. Having said that, as long as they're not coming in here to stir the pot and get a rise of posters, and can discuss/debate topics respectfully, I don't have a problem with them being here.

Pretty sure this isn't Matteau's first disappearing act...I can't remember exactly when it was, but I do remember calling him out on vanishing once before.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#149 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,783 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

I agree, it's a Devils board, not an NHL board...don't think it's imperative that other team's fans come in here for the board to flourish. Having said that, as long as they're not coming in here to stir the pot and get a rise of posters, and can discuss/debate topics respectfully, I don't have a problem with them being here.

Pretty sure this isn't Matteau's first disappearing act...I can't remember exactly when it was, but I do remember calling him out on vanishing once before.

Yeah, probably 2006 when we swept them.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#150 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

I don't think of Matteau as a pure troll, but agree that he liked stirring the pot. And I agree 100% that he would've been intolerably brutal had his team won the series. If he had just poked in here to say "Nice series, sucks that we lost, see ya later", I would've been fine with him.

I felt like he needed to do a little more lump-swallowing than that. How about a "The better team won this meeting of the Hudson River Rivalry," or something similar?
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#151 American_Psycho

American_Psycho

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Successful troll is successful. This topic has 3000+ views since its inception, and we're still pumping its tires.

Why should we keep giving this fool attention? Let's just close this, and focus on our team.

#152 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

Successful troll is successful. This topic has 3000+ views since its inception, and we're still pumping its tires.

Why should we keep giving this fool attention? Let's just close this, and focus on our team.

+1 cause you're 100% correct.

#153 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

is their an equivalent rangers board i can go on as Henrique2012
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#154 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

I liked the Sens fans and the Sabres fan, both quality posters but I'll also agree to disagree with you about the current state of other teams fans on this message board. It's a Devils board after all and having all Devils fans isn't a bad thing. Personally I'd be happy with never having any Rangers fans on this board because I have no use for them.

All this proves is that you've been trying to dictate who should and shouldn't be allowed to post here for years.

Matteau's been a quality member ever since he got here. Granted, he usually only shows up when the Rangers are involved, but what else would you expect from a Rangers fan? (Similarly, Eztarget's not a bad guy for a Flyers fan, and he only shows up when we're playing the Flyers.) He got a little annoying this year, but I think that was mostly a response to people who were trying to play board police and run off all non-Devils fans.

Derek was an okay guy, but he melted down too often, especially toward the end of his tenure here. He was ripped by Rangers fans and Devils fans alike for his almost-neutral analysis of the Devils, and that probably led to most of his meltdowns. Eventually just about everyone turned against him, and we haven't seen him in almost a year and a half.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#155 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:21 AM

He got a little annoying this year, but I think that was mostly a response to people who were trying to play board police and run off all non-Devils fans.

Rowdy sees it as I do, I'm quoting it, because perhaps he better articulated the point.

is their an equivalent rangers board i can go on as Henrique2012

Not gonna lie, this post is win.

#156 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:00 AM

So basically he was doing a 3-man forecheck on the Kovalchuk issue?

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#157 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:14 AM

All this proves is that you've been trying to dictate who should and shouldn't be allowed to post here for years.

Matteau's been a quality member ever since he got here. Granted, he usually only shows up when the Rangers are involved, but what else would you expect from a Rangers fan? (Similarly, Eztarget's not a bad guy for a Flyers fan, and he only shows up when we're playing the Flyers.) He got a little annoying this year, but I think that was mostly a response to people who were trying to play board police and run off all non-Devils fans.

Derek was an okay guy, but he melted down too often, especially toward the end of his tenure here. He was ripped by Rangers fans and Devils fans alike for his almost-neutral analysis of the Devils, and that probably led to most of his meltdowns. Eventually just about everyone turned against him, and we haven't seen him in almost a year and a half.

I don't mind eztarget either, like I said I hate rangers fans, all of them. The vast majority always end up trolling here and I have no problem telling them exactly what I think of them. I wasn't the only one, there were several other fans who thought the same thing about matteau and they would have mentioned it eventually anyway.

I'm sorry but I don't live in a world where I want to get along with rangers fans. I have some friends who are rangers fans but their true douchebag always comes out when they start talking about the rangers to me. I was told kings are gonna win in 4.

I have 0 use for their entire fanbase and organization. fvck the rangers, fvck their stupid fans and fvck their entire organization.

#158 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

Manta's never bothered me with his constant woe posts. He's a very opinionated fan with unique ideas about the direction of the team. It just so happens that his predictions for what would happen have been completely wrong. I don't think he deserves to get run off (if thats how he feels), but at the least he is a fan of the team and wants the best. He just didn't agree with the direction. I love it when fans of the team have different viewpoints. None of us can really change anything alone.

Not disappearing. Couldn't bring myself to even turn on my computer on saturday. Yesterday and Sunday, I was out all day.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#159 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

This series was tough to take, but overall the Devils did outplay the Rangers. For whatever reason the Rangers abandoned the all-out shot blocking after game 2, but then didnt try to dictate the pace of the game. To have the comebacks twice only to lose makes it even worse. Overall, can't complain about the season, they did better than I expected back in September. They are a young team. Richards just turned 32, Gaborik and Lundqvist just turned 30, everyone else who plays a major role on this team are under 30. Plus, the Giants just gave me a Super Bowl so I can't get too greedy. Some people have asked if I would trade the Giants Super Bowl for a Rangers Cup, and the answer is no. Enjoy the Finals, and hopefully LA takes it in 4.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#160 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

This series was tough to take, but overall the Devils did outplay the Rangers. For whatever reason the Rangers abandoned the all-out shot blocking after game 2, but then didnt try to dictate the pace of the game. To have the comebacks twice only to lose makes it even worse. Overall, can't complain about the season, they did better than I expected back in September. They are a young team. Richards just turned 32, Gaborik and Lundqvist just turned 30, everyone else who plays a major role on this team are under 30. Plus, the Giants just gave me a Super Bowl so I can't get too greedy. Some people have asked if I would trade the Giants Super Bowl for a Rangers Cup, and the answer is no. Enjoy the Finals, and hopefully LA takes it in 4.

I give you major kudos for coming back and posting, especially after we had written you off as having disappeared. And for giving the Devils credit for winning the series. No hard feelings here.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users