363 replies to this topic

#261 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:15 AM

I saw quite a few Kings fans there. What are the odds that they're fairweather Rags fans being faurweather Kings fans?

Haha not a bad guess. The odds that they are rags fans is pretty low.. The odds that they're fair weather? I'm guessing 75-76%

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#262 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,973 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:18 AM

I don't have much to say but we had way too many chances in this game that we couldn't capitalize on. Parise needed to bury that one in the third, same with Fayne. Frustrating night because it makes game 2 a must win.

#263 themiddle91489

themiddle91489

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

I was I 230, probably about 10 seats fom where he fell. I saw a woman that showed she was crying. I literally was scared of the worse- some form of a heart attaché ( god forbid because it's a horrible thing to even mention). But it was immediately following the start of the light show and the ppl surrounding were extremely sad and they were gathering for a long time

I saw the woman crying, and I agree, I was fearing the worst too. It was a really uneasy situation. However I saw that same woman back in her seats later on, so either she was with him and he was OK, or she was just a concerned bystander. Either way, I was hoping that one of his friends (or even he) is a poster on here and could just update everyone on his status. It definitely didn't look good from my vantage point.
Attended Games: 2-1-1.
GDT's: 0-0.

#264 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,187 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:25 AM

I saw quite a few Kings fans there. What are the odds that they're fairweather Rags fans being faurweather Kings fans?

It's LA, I'm sure some of the Hollywood types flew in on their jets and got a limo ride lol.

Of course the seats directly in front of us were filled with opposition fans again, though at least it was two instead of four this time.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#265 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,215 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:26 AM

Always tough to lose a Game 1, especially in OT on home ice, but I have faith in DeBoer to make the necessary adjustments before Game 2. I'm just hoping to get a split at home and a split on the road now.

I got tired of hearing and reading about the Kings physicality during the days leading up to tonight, but I feel like I underestimated just how much of an impact it has. They were doing a great job of separating the attacking Devil from the puck on dump ins to prevent the Devils from getting pressure down low. The Devils still had some great shifts where they did get solid pressure but it seems like they were having trouble consistently doing this as the game went on and they couldn't bury their chances at all.

I wasn't too impressed with the Devils breaking out of their zone and all of those missed stretch passes were frustrating. I'm sure they'll be better in Game 2.

I hate to get on the guy since he was great in the first 2 rounds, but Zidlicky's game has been real frustrating ever since the start of the Rangers series. I do have to acknowledge he has been going up against tough competition these past 2 rounds but I'd like to see him just do more of the little things right. I'm not even asking him for his offensive game at this point, just make the defensive game sound. He's made a few dangerous turnovers and has been caught out of position the past few weeks. Hopefully he can elevate his game once again.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#266 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

If we don't tighten things up, this series will be over quick.
Posted Image Posted Image

#267 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

They didn't play very well the last two games of the Ranger series either, other than the fourth line but stole Game 5 cause Lundqvist sucked and after a good first period were fortunate to win Game 6 cause of Marty. I just hope they aren't running out of gas, we'll see in Game 2.

I still can't see the Kings going 10, 11-0 on the road in the playoffs and never being challenged. Teams just don't go through four rounds and blitz their way to a Cup with zero adversity. But this has been a crazy year anyway.

Its crazy to think the Kings can just march right to the Cup adversity free, but anything's possible I guess. One thing they do a great job at is taking the body to seperate the man from the puck when its deep in their defensive zone. They snuffed out our forecheck like that most of the night, and it limited any sustained pressure we tried to create. The Devils did start to dictate more later in the game, which is a good sign. But there is tons of work to be done.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#268 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:54 AM

I saw the woman crying, and I agree, I was fearing the worst too. It was a really uneasy situation. However I saw that same woman back in her seats later on, so either she was with him and he was OK, or she was just a concerned bystander. Either way, I was hoping that one of his friends (or even he) is a poster on here and could just update everyone on his status. It definitely didn't look good from my vantage point.

ok yea i see your point because if she's back in her seat, regardless, its straying from the worst.

i worried because when i saw the man lying on the steps (all i saw was the back of his Brodeur jersey) i didn't see him sitting up, or even move.. obviously, we gotta hope for the best

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#269 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:21 AM

lets be honest. this game was a toss up.

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

#270 sassquash

sassquash

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

Just got home.. worst part was that the Kings didnt do anything to make us bad, we just sucked.

Didn't challenge the D
Didn't challenge Quick
Didn't forecheck like we did in previous rounds

Looked flat from the get go.

The only thing the Devs had going for them was LA was just as timid as they were.

Hope we didn't blow our load beating the Rags. :huh:

functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism

#271 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:36 AM

Just got home from the game. balls.

#272 #9Delieve

#9Delieve

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:03 AM

Apparently beating the rangers was the cup,please nj make me eat this statement!

#273 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:05 AM

The last period and overtime give me a lot of hope, they just didnt go in tonight.

I think we take the next 4 games.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#274 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:17 AM

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#275 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:22 AM

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#276 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:27 AM

The last period and overtime give me a lot of hope, they just didnt go in tonight.

I think we take the next 4 games.

:clap:
I like this!

815631765.gif

#277 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:09 AM

No killer instinct. They find ways to lose and tonight's no exception.

:troll1:

Do you purposely try to post the dumbest possible thing everytime you comment in a GDT? You are such a complete joke of a fan...the one good thing about the Devils ever going through a downturn someday is that you'll disappear...hopefully forever.

As for the game:

Not going to overreact to it...I made the mistake of doing that in Game 1 against the Flyers. There were times during the first two periods that the Devils looked slower and overwhelmed, but they didn't buckle...Marty made some huge saves, but of course that's not good enough for some Devils fans (what else is new?). Clearly they have to get more shots on goal and do a much better job of finishing opportunities than they did last night, but there were positives. The Devils deserve some kind of pass for having gotten this far, and it's not like they played horribly in this one...I have to see how Game 2 goes before criticizing them too much.

Last time I checked, the paper read "LA leads series 1-0." Nothing about LA having won the Cup. Long way to go in this one.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#278 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,187 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

Last time I checked, the paper read "LA leads series 1-0." Nothing about LA having won the Cup. Long way to go in this one.

I know we've had a long time between series, but I guess people already forgot we were down 1-0 to the Flyers AND Rangers. Plus we have a winning OT record (4-2) this postseason, for once. I know people say there's more urgency to win Game 2 because it's a home series but after this team's postseason run they deserve a lot more slack than the trolls saying 'no killer instinct again'.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#279 mackchi

mackchi

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:49 AM

I know we've had a long time between series, but I guess people already forgot we were down 1-0 to the Flyers AND Rangers. Plus we have a winning OT record (4-2) this postseason, for once. I know people say there's more urgency to win Game 2 because it's a home series but after this team's postseason run they deserve a lot more slack than the trolls saying 'no killer instinct again'.

Yeah but there are two things you can never get back. The spoken word and The missed opportunity. The stage was set for some great dramatics and the guys didn't capitalize on it. Could have been an opportunity to solidify the fans, the city etc. They had their chances but seemed hesitant. I sure hope they get some fire after this because you know the Kings have...
LET'S GO DEVILS!

#280 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,187 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

Yeah but there are two things you can never get back. The spoken word and The missed opportunity. The stage was set for some great dramatics and the guys didn't capitalize on it. Could have been an opportunity to solidify the fans, the city etc. They had their chances but seemed hesitant. I sure hope they get some fire after this because you know the Kings have...

As even DeBoer said, the Devils didn't deserve to win anyway. The Kings dominated the first two periods a lot more than the shot total suggested, never mind the tie score. And Marty had to make a couple of spectacular saves in the third just to get it to OT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users