27 replies to this topic

#1 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

How come Marty is the greatest goalie against the penalty shot but only so-so on breakaways? Drives me crazy. I started cursing as soon as Kopitar grabbed the puck.

#2 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

Delete Thread. Seriously?

#3 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

How come Marty is the greatest goalie against the penalty shot but only so-so on breakaways? Drives me crazy. I started cursing as soon as Kopitar grabbed the puck.

My guess is that, during shootouts and penalty shots, the skater isn't coming in full-speed. I think Marty gets a better read when they're taking their time or only coming in at half-speed.
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#4 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,672 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

Honestly I think Brodeur is one of the better goalies in the league when it comes to breakaways and I really thought he had it. It was just great patience and shot by Kopitar.

#5 abripper339

abripper339

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

was a little to passive for me on that breakaway.. would of like to see one of his poke checks on that move.

#6 Devs4LordStanley

Devs4LordStanley

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

My guess is that, during shootouts and penalty shots, the skater isn't coming in full-speed. I think Marty gets a better read when they're taking their time or only coming in at half-speed.

Exactly. I think that's what Marty told Kovy to do - full speed ahead.

Let's Go Devils!

@NTylerNJD

#7 abripper339

abripper339

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

penalty shot is also a different situation.. the player chooses to come in at any speed/angle which greatly tips their hand on what their end move is going to be. b/c if you have the chance to changed your angle/speed to help your end move you will.. in a game, the player comes in as he comes in through the flow of the game and all options are possible.

#8 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

There are lots of guys better than him in the shootout, plus he still only stops 72% of shootout attempts. Kopitar is one of the best players in the world, he's not going to miss there that often.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Are there any statistics to back up this assertion? If not, it's almost certainly a grass-is-greener on the other side observation.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#10 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

He overuses the poke check. Kopitar totally baited him into it before he made his move. Also, it didn't help that Zubrus was too slow (out of gas?) to do anything on the backcheck. C'mon, man, you have to dive and make some kind of contact.

EDIT: Just rewatched and it was the paddle down, not a poke check. Same damn thing... takes away mobility.

Edited by David Puddy, 31 May 2012 - 09:17 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

Kopitar is an incredibly smart player. There was part of an interview from TG on how he remembered as he was skating in on what move he last used on Marty in the shootout and changed it up in case he remembered.

I guess that goes back a few years when, you know, we were in the shootout in L.A. and I went backhand on him. Maybe he thought I was going to do it again. Tonight, I just wanted to mix it up a little bit.”

The game Kopitar was referencing came during his rookie season. The Kings beat the Devils and Brodeur, 3-2, in a shootout, at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Nov. 27, 2006 as both Kopitar and Alexander Frolov scored in the shootout – Kopitar, apparently, on the backhand.

To have the foresight to think of that, whilst coming in one on one in OT in the Stanley Cup Finals tells you a lot about the sort of player he is.

(I have a feeling this series is going to stop him from being my favourite non NJD NHL player.)

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#12 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,938 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

I think everyone was cursing when Kopitar grabbed the puck, but it had nothing to do with Marty being good or bad on breakaways. It had to do with one of the most skilled players in the league having the most time and space on a breakaway in NHL history.

Edited by devilsrule33, 31 May 2012 - 09:53 AM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#13 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

seriously dude
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#14 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

im more bummed parise or fayne didnt pot their goal mouth chances.

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#15 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

im more bummed parise or fayne didnt pot their goal mouth chances.

Fayne HAS to bury that!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#16 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

And that whole play is set up by Zajac not coralling the pass from Parise. The d was pinching up expecting the puck to stay in the zone longer. It was a weird set up, that allowed one of the best scorers in the league (and someone who's good on the breakaway) to get in by himself. Marty's gonna lose some of those battles. So did Roy, Hasek, and every other goalie.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#17 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

Marty is the reason we even got to OT. That sequence of saves in the 3rd starting with Doughty was some vintage #30. We may NEED him to steal a game this series, let's hope last night wasn't the one we needed to have when it is all said and done.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#18 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

I thought Marty played that breakaway about as well as he could. He loves using the poke check and I'm sure if he had an opportunity to he would have, but this is Kopitar we're talking about. Make the first move and miss and he eats you alive. If only Marty had left his pad on the ice he might have had it. Oh well. As others have said, it's not like we didn't generate any chances in OT or in the 3rd to put it away either. On to game 2.

#19 Jmorc2003

Jmorc2003

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

I thought Marty played that breakaway about as well as he could. He loves using the poke check and I'm sure if he had an opportunity to he would have, but this is Kopitar we're talking about. Make the first move and miss and he eats you alive. If only Marty had left his pad on the ice he might have had it. Oh well. As others have said, it's not like we didn't generate any chances in OT or in the 3rd to put it away either. On to game 2.

Would want to see stats before I believe that Marty is better or worse on breakaways but If there is a difference, I suspect that a reason could be (as mentioned already in this thread) that on a breakaway, the player is coming full speed while in the midst of regular game play, leaving the goalie with a lot less time to position and read what he's doing. I've always hated when players go in at 50-75% on a shootout. I understand wanting to stay in control, but I think flying in at full speed you're increasing the chances the goalie will be back on his heels.

#20 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

Yeah, that wasn't the problem. The problem was the game was a mess and we made more mistakes. Game could have ended earlier in the OT when Kovy got a chance to destroy a puck off a faceoff. Dunno if the King who was stupid enough to throw a glove at it, got it or not, but there were two plays that could have ended the game, we didn't end it on ours, they did end it on theirs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users