56 replies to this topic

#21 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

Ever since he was smashing his sticks on the post and sprinting off the ice after shootout losses I knew Thomas was a nut job. Lately he's also shown to be a serious attention whore. Stanley Cups playoffs under way? Better make a big deal to the media about how I'm considering not playing next year. He also embarrassed himself with the White House stuff. If he doesn't play, the Bruins are still on the hook for his $5 mil cap hit. So if this "sabbatical" nonsense turns out to be legit and not just a huge attention-seeking stunt, he'll really be screwing over his team. Tuukka Rask would be happy.

Edited by iamtheprodigy, 01 June 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#22 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

He's only 2 years older than Brodeur...sabbatical? Are you kidding me? What a drama queen...you only have so many quality years left. If you dont love the game then just outright retire and shut up.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#23 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

He's only 2 years older than Brodeur...sabbatical? Are you kidding me? What a drama queen...you only have so many quality years left. If you dont love the game then just outright retire and shut up.

:doh1:
-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

#24 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

Younger, but yeah you are correct. It's a curious decision to say the least from a career standpoint. Maybe he's just burned out.

In any case there's all these stories about the cap ramifications for the Bruins out now if this happens, which are all moot because a new CBA will be negotiated this offseason.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#25 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:57 PM

Who cares? It's his career, let him do what he wants.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#26 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:08 AM

There's always room for criticism :boogie:

believe-zubrus.jpg

#27 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

He signed a 4 year contract to play for the Bruins. He's basically not honoring it. Under the current CBA the Bruins can suspend him for it. It's a big story especially if you're a Bruins fan, or a fan of another team looking to acquire a goaltender in a trade.
Posted Image

#28 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:51 AM

He signed a 4 year contract to play for the Bruins. He's basically not honoring it. Under the current CBA the Bruins can suspend him for it. It's a big story especially if you're a Bruins fan, or a fan of another team looking to acquire a goaltender in a trade.

That is the only legitimate gripe. For everyone saying he shouldn't take time off because he's already getting old and whatever, contract issues aside then hey if that's what he wants to do then that's what he wants to do.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#29 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,099 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:57 AM

If you watched Bruins hockey say, before 08-09, you'd know that Thomas was average overall for most of his career. I think the sudden stardom and appreciation just went to his head. He peaked and didn't realize it.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#30 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

Tim Thomas just confirmed on facebook that he's not playing next season, its official

www.SterioDesign.com

#31 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

This man worked hard throughout his life to make it in the NHL and now he does this. I do not care if you are being traded or going to be a backup on a team. You are getting paid FIVE MILLION DOLLARS to play a sport you love. This just disgusts me. My team pays $2200 every fall and summer just to play 15 games. If you told me two years ago that Thomas wouldn't show up at the White House and now taking a year off I would not believe it.

Edited by Zubie#8, 03 June 2012 - 12:44 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#32 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,514 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

This man worked hard throughout his life to make it in the NHL and now he does this. I do not care if you are being traded or going to be a backup on a team. You are getting paid FIVE MILLION DOLLARS to play a sport you love. This just disgusts me. My team pays $2200 every fall and summer just to play 15 games. If you told me two years ago that Thomas wouldn't show up at the White House and now taking a year off I would not believe it.

Tim Thomas has paid his dues in the NHL more than just about anyone. He spent his mid-twenties bouncing from team to team and country to country.

If I were a Bruins fan, the only thing I'd be upset about is the $5M cap hit that might be left because of his contract, but the Devils disposed of Malakhov's deal and I imagine the Bruins will be able to send the fake Thomas contract somewhere as well. But any player has the right to say he doesn't want to play anymore - it's their life.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#33 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

Tim Thomas has paid his dues in the NHL more than just about anyone. He spent his mid-twenties bouncing from team to team and country to country.

If I were a Bruins fan, the only thing I'd be upset about is the $5M cap hit that might be left because of his contract, but the Devils disposed of Malakhov's deal and I imagine the Bruins will be able to send the fake Thomas contract somewhere as well. But any player has the right to say he doesn't want to play anymore - it's their life.

Exactly, he worked hard to get here and now he is just going to take a year off? I am sorry but that is not right to the team, the fans, and to himself.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#34 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

If he were retiring, I'd agree with this. But he's just taking a year off. He's not honoring his contract because he wants a year long vacation, I don't think it's so clear. Bruins committed X amount of dollars to him to get Tim Thomas for the next 4 years, he's given more than enough back on that contract but the fact remains.
Posted Image

#35 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,514 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

Exactly, he worked hard to get here and now he is just going to take a year off? I am sorry but that is not right to the team, the fans, and to himself.

So it's right for him to keep playing because his teammates might want him to? He was terrible in the 2nd half of last year. Would they really want that Tim Thomas?

Thomas isn't holding out - he just doesn't want to play. If the Bruins want to toll the contract and get him in 2013-14, they can.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#36 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

Every NHL player has obligations to the fans and the team. Everyone sacrifices their personal life to contribute to the game of hockey. This man has an obligation to that 4 year contract and for him to take a year off is a slap to the face to everyone. Just retire. He is a disgrace to the NHL that's the bottom line.

Edited by Zubie#8, 03 June 2012 - 01:40 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#37 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

It's not like they don't have another goalie. Thomas has lost the job back to Rask in the past. The big deal is getting stuck with the cap hit, until the Islanders stupidly actually give something up to acquire the cap space.

#38 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

Does expect to come back in Boston because he won't. Rask will get the starting job and he won't suddenly lose it or split the next season. Plus you can't just take a year off.

#39 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

Good. I'm glad he's not going to play. Let him take his stick and go home.

This also means he won't be playing for the national team. While that is 2 years away, him taking a year off almost certainly will rule out an invite. I'm perfectly fine with Quick and Miller handling that.

I also find it hilarious he tries to sell stuff in his stupid statement.

From the earliest age I can remember, I've wanted to be a hockey player. I've been blessed in my life to not only be able to live that dream, but to achieve more than I ever thought possible.

The singleminded focus that is necessary to accomplish a dream of this magnitude entails (by necessity) sacrifice in other areas and relationships in life.

At the age of 38, I believe it is time to put my time and energies into those areas and relationships that I have neglected. That is why at this time I feel the most important thing I can do in my life is to reconnect with the three F's.

Friends, Family, and Faith.

This is what I plan on doing over the course of the next year.

On top of this, I will continue to train using the ARP/POV system www.ultrafitevosport.com and work with G-Form www.g-form.com in the development of protective equipment.

What does this portend for the future?

We'll seeā€¦.God's will be done.

Edited by ghdi, 03 June 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#40 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,099 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

Doesn't Tim Thomas belong to the party of personal responsibility?

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users