24 replies to this topic

#21 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

Don't kid yourself. Newark is still a dangerous place to be by the time the game ends but as long as you stay with the crowds you're fine. Should I have told him to go explore the great city of Newark at 11pm at night? Cory Booker can't save you from that type of fire. :whistling:

Um, Ferry St where all of the restaurants are clustered is in Newark and even by midnight it isn't what I would call "dangerous". I should know since I've been there. Stop acting so damn sheltered.

Edited by Marv4Life, 02 June 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#22 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

Um, Ferry St where all of the restaurants are clustered is in Newark and even by midnight it isn't what I would call "dangerous". I should know since I've been there. Stop acting so damn sheltered.

I am sincerely glad you have been there and thank you for selecting one safe street out of an entire city.
Put food on my family

#23 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

honestly i lived in newark for 4 years when it was much worse and i walked its streets 1,2 am in the morning and nothing ever happened. it's so deserted that unless you bump in to a bad group by chance, you don't have the opportunity to have anything bad happen to you. not more than nyc or any other cosmo city anyway.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#24 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

I am sincerely glad you have been there and thank you for selecting one safe street out of an entire city.

As he rightly said before, anywhere between the Rock and University Heights is almost certainly fine. I've walked Broad and Market later than Devils games. There are certainly streets you don't go on, but not near the Rock. Newark's not perfect, but neither is any city. There are parts of New York that are considerably worse. I'm not saying you should tell a visitor to explore the city or anything, but suggesting that he needs to stay with a pack of Devils fans to be safe at night is just asinine.

Edited by mouse, 04 June 2012 - 08:36 AM.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#25 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

As he rightly said before, anywhere between the Rock and University Heights is almost certainly fine. I've walked Broad and Market later than Devils games. There are certainly streets you don't go on, but not near the Rock. Newark's not perfect, but neither is any city. There are parts of New York that are considerably worse. I'm not saying you should tell a visitor to explore the city or anything, but suggesting that he needs to stay with a pack of Devils fans to be safe at night is just asinine.

Agreed. The ONLY thing I'd be concerned with is maybe somebody trying to offer you drugs somewhere around the corner of Broad and Market. Even that is a slim chance on a game day when they got extra cops out and that tower thing is almost always there too, so it's not that big a concern. It is more desolate if you walk west down Broad towards 78, as well as just above Broad st. there, but it's certainly not a war zone or anything where you have to be worried about stray bullets.

Personally, I don't mind walking around pretty much anywhere even remotely close to downtown later at night. Basically as long as it's semi-well lit, I'm not concerned(good rule of thumb for being anywhere at night) and I've been around downtown at 1-2am and NEVER have been threatened, robbed, etc.

I understand that Newark has problems and problem areas, but by making jokes about whether or not one would be safe there, especially in the downtown area, does nothing but perpetuate the perception that Newark is most dangerous city around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users