65 replies to this topic

#41 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:55 AM

I just had one of my rangers fan friends try to troll me tonight. He's saying he would rather have lost to us then get swept in the finals. What a fvcking joke. I told him he should be embarrased to call himself a rangers fan. Even mattaeu32 on here would never try to troll that hard. What a fvcking joke.

after 18 years, thats a lie. you always want to win & have a chance at the trophy. its been 9 years for us and I'm happy the Devs made it to the Final.

Sure points are a little inflated nowadays but the Kings beat west seeds 1, 2, 3 and if we lose it will be the 3rd 100 point team they've beaten.
So I won't say it's all luck for them. Marty's kryptonite of playoff-OT was the worm that I'd thought would turn, but it did not...
No shame in what the Devs have done this year. FFS, We're playing in June. Eastern Conference Champs !

#42 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,393 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

When our guys can lighten up mentally while retaining focus, the worm will turn. I'm not disappointed - we still have a chance :evil:

I'm here for the party

#43 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

I usually eat the worm if given the chance.
It's the whiskey talking.

#44 PaDevsFan

PaDevsFan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:53 AM

I totally agree with this thread. We have not gotten 1 SINGLE BOUNCE this series. Wathcing that 5 - 3 powerplay last night. . . the chances we had and didnt score??? I told my son we are in trouble (when we didnt get the bounces there). I still think we can make a series about it but we ned to make some of our own luck here too. By that I mean we have had a lot of the better play especially in games 1 and 2 and even for stretches last night. Now its time to make a few needed changes. Sykora comes in and Kovy sits. He has been REALLY BAD this series. Obviously he is hurting but he needs to sit for now. Larsson in and Harrold or Zidlicky comes out 1 or the other. . . We need to change it up a bit. I also limit Clarkson's ice time he has been BAD this series as well. . .

Parise needs to step up as the Captain and get it done now. 4 shots last night but he needs to BURY 1!!!

Go Devils 1 game at a time!!! We cannot get swept by this team show something here!!

Edited by PaDevsFan, 05 June 2012 - 07:54 AM.

#45 CMONPETEYD

CMONPETEYD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

My opinion is you work hard and you get luck. YOu are in the right position, you get your stick in the right position and things happen. How many sticks has Kopitar had on blocked shots, or just disrupting our play. How many times has Kopitar been in the right position.
My name changes every summer
Posted Image

#46 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

We're going to look back and wonder where this luck had been the first three games.

Devils in 7

Edited by Devils Pride 26, 05 June 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#47 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

I'll fill in for Triumph here:

Coming back from 3-0 in the SCF has been done once I believe in 1942. The cup has been handed out every year since 1893 so 120 times. 1 out of 120 is .83%. So the Devils have a less than 1% chance of coming back.

So the Devils have a chance? Okay, I'll run with that. If the chances are better than winning the lottery I figure we are good to go.
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#48 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Coming back from 3-0 in the SCF has been done once I believe in 1942. The cup has been handed out every year since 1893 so 120 times. 1 out of 120 is .83%. So the Devils have a less than 1% chance of coming back.

And if Triumph were to post that, I would point out two things that I don't like about it. One is the inclusion of pre-NHL years, I'm not a fan of that. Two, you're counting all years, namely ones where one team didn't not get a 3-0 lead. So the probability that you give is really one of a particular scenario playing out in the finals, not the percentage of times a team down 3-0 has come back to win in the finals.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#49 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

i guess the one comfort is that post lock out teams are a lot more balanced so we are equal in winning opportunities if you look objectively. scoring opportunities will obviously have to be capitalized at very high percentages for us to have a shot though.

all it takes is games like 1 and 2 where we bury some of the chances we fanned. it's not as hard as it looks on paper.

let me also add, one win tomorrow and we are back home. home crowd can tip them over if they have the one game confidence. going back to LA with a 3-2 will put serious pressure on them to win. that's the tipping point game.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat, 05 June 2012 - 01:19 PM.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#50 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

That's not how probability works, what you quoted is the ratio of historic events, it has nothing to do with future ones when you consider the events (different teams, years, rules etc) aren't the same.

#51 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

No puck luck? we scored 2 goals in 3 games and both we're puck luck

www.SterioDesign.com

#52 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

No puck luck? we scored 2 goals in 3 games and both we're puck luck

That game 1 goal was completely lucky, but if you delete that one and get better bounces for Parise and Fayne in close, that game is a 2-1 win in reg.

Edit: Or was the Parise chance that I'm thinking of in game 2? It's kind of a blur to me.

Edited by Devils Dose, 05 June 2012 - 01:36 PM.

Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#53 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

We only scored 3 goals in the first 3 games against the Rangers, hopefully our offense has just hit a rut and will explode over the next 4 games.

#54 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#55 Devilsrock01

Devilsrock01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

we need to get better quality chances and fvcking score on our chances especially on open net chances.... ahem clarkson....

Posted Image

#56 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

i guess the one comfort is that post lock out teams are a lot more balanced so we are equal in winning opportunities if you look objectively. scoring opportunities will obviously have to be capitalized at very high percentages for us to have a shot though.

all it takes is games like 1 and 2 where we bury some of the chances we fanned. it's not as hard as it looks on paper.

let me also add, one win tomorrow and we are back home. home crowd can tip them over if they have the one game confidence. going back to LA with a 3-2 will put serious pressure on them to win. that's the tipping point game.

And I think the kings will crack under that pressure. They haven't been tested or faced adversity this postseason. Let's see what making them sweat does. Devils in 7.

#57 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

fvck luck, winner takes all
Posted Image

#58 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:01 AM

And I think the kings will crack under that pressure. They haven't been tested or faced adversity this postseason. Let's see what making them sweat does. Devils in 7.

The Kings will not feel *ANY* pressure unless we somehow won the next 2 and stretched it to Game 6 back at their arena...

They have a lot of room for error right now, and I think they will play loose.....

Let's just hope we can somehow win tomorrow and go from there....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#59 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

And if Triumph were to post that, I would point out two things that I don't like about it. One is the inclusion of pre-NHL years, I'm not a fan of that. Two, you're counting all years, namely ones where one team didn't not get a 3-0 lead. So the probability that you give is really one of a particular scenario playing out in the finals, not the percentage of times a team down 3-0 has come back to win in the finals.

Okay, well we'll do what you asked since you are right. There have been 70 cup finals since the 7 game series came into effect. One team has come back from 0-3 to win. I'm not going to go into what teams came back to tie or win one game or win two games. We are expecting the maximum outcome to be a Devils victory. This particular scenario has happened once. Am I correct? Only one team has come back down 0-3 to win the Stanley Cup. The question is what are the odds, historically speaking, that the Devils will come back and WIN the Stanley Cup being down 0-3. Let's not talk about baseball or basketball, let's keep it to hockey and the Stanley Cup finals only. The theoretical probability is 1 out of 70, historically. Now we divide the numerator by the denominator and 1.4% chance, historically, that the Devils will come back to WIN the cup.
Capisce?

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#60 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:10 AM

Okay, well we'll do what you asked since you are right. There have been 70 cup finals since the 7 game series came into effect. One team has come back from 0-3 to win. I'm not going to go into what teams came back to tie or win one game or win two games. We are expecting the maximum outcome to be a Devils victory. This particular scenario has happened once. Am I correct? Only one team has come back down 0-3 to win the Stanley Cup. The question is what are the odds, historically speaking, that the Devils will come back and WIN the Stanley Cup being down 0-3. Let's not talk about baseball or basketball, let's keep it to hockey and the Stanley Cup finals only. The theoretical probability is 1 out of 70, historically. Now we divide the numerator by the denominator and 1.4% chance, historically, that the Devils will come back to WIN the cup.
Capisce?

Haha how do u not get it?? Dude the only way you can come up with a legit probability is if you take all the series' that have started 0-3 and then use the 1 comeback to come up with your answer. I know there hasn't been 70 Stanley cup final series' that hav started out 0-3

Like Devils Dose said, you need to find the percentage of times a team down 3-0 has come back to win in the finals

Edited by Onddeck, 06 June 2012 - 01:14 AM.

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users