Photo

If Zach Parise doesn't score next game....

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#21 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:59 PM

If we lose Zach start courting Crosby. He is UFA after next season. :dance:

Wouldnt want that bitch on this team and besides, there's no way Shero lets him get to UFA.

#22 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

Right now in my opinion Kopitar, Crosby, Malkin, Datsyuk, Stamkos, Giroux, Karlsson...I could go on.

I really do not think Parise is worth a contract that would be similar to these guys but he is going to get it somewhere.

Maybe I'm just getting hung up on terminology here, but I don't see any of these players as single-handedly winning games for their teams. You would think a "game-changing" player would lead his teams to more success than any of these players have. But whatever, I'm not saying Parise is the best player in the world and we should hand him a blank check on July 1st, but he's a very good player who has been a huge part of this playoff run. In general, people pay way too much attention to goals and points when evaluating players. It's a cliche, sure, but Parise does so much for this team that doesn't always get onto the score sheet. How many times have we heard players and coaches around the league commenting on how hard he works and how difficult he is to play against? I think a lot of us take for granted the impact he has. If he leaves, we'll see it.

#23 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

Hardest working player on the team, one of the hardest working Devils ever. I'll never be happy to see him leave.

#24 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:02 PM

Parise is not a true game changer.

Agreed. He rarely makes something out of nothing, unlike a healthy Kovalchuk.

#25 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:02 PM

Maybe I'm just getting hung up on terminology here, but I don't see any of these players as single-handedly winning games for their teams. You would think a "game-changing" player would lead his teams to more success than any of these players have. But whatever, I'm not saying Parise is the best player in the world and we should hand him a blank check on July 1st, but he's a very good player who has been a huge part of this playoff run. In general, people pay way too much attention to goals and points when evaluating players. It's a cliche, sure, but Parise does so much for this team that doesn't always get onto the score sheet. How many times have we heard players and coaches around the league commenting on how hard he works and how difficult he is to play against? I think a lot of us take for granted the impact he has. If he leaves, we'll see it.

Yeah I agree, I should not of used the word game changer. I guess I am saying is that his skill set is not worth the contract he will get. Of course the man plays all out every night but I do not think it is worth it. Just my 2 cents.

I am definitely not saying I want him gone but the contract has to be reasonable.

Edited by Zubie#8, 04 June 2012 - 11:03 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#26 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

Yeah I agree, I should not of used the word game changer. I guess I am saying is that his skill set is not worth the contract he will get. Of course the man plays all out every night but I do not think it is worth it. Just my 2 cents.

I am definitely not saying I want him gone but the contract has to be reasonable.

Maybe, but we'll see. A few people have mentioned a similarity to the Elias situation. Elias could have gone for bigger money elsewhere, but NJ offered enough that he decided to stay, even if it was a bit less. I am hoping Lou can get this to work out with Parise the same way. It's possible Zach will jet for more money, but I'm going to at least remain optimistic that he will take a bit less and stay. At least he can't say that the he doesn't feel like he has the chance to compete for the Cup in NJ.

#27 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

No more than 8 million per. I'll take it if that's the case...

#28 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

I am not buying one iota of that. What about the other veterans, especially those that have Stanley Cup rings? btw Kovy got a really large contract and never won anything. If Kovy is injured then get his sorry ass off the ice. Elias and being 36 mean diddly. Stevens was 36 in 2000 when we won the cup in 2000 and 39 in 2003. Daneyko was 36 in 2000 and 39 in 2003. Joe Nieuwendyk was 37. Not buying the age thing. Sorry.

Stevens and Elias are different players. Age wouldn't effect Stevens's game as much. Bringing up Daneyko and Nieuy are silly as they aren't Parise status and were not relied on as heavily. But that's irrelevant - because like I have said a few times now - I don't want to "get rid" of anyone." I am saying we shouldn't re-sign Zach Parise (IF HE DOESN"T SHOW UP IN GAME 4) to a big contract. Everyone else is signed. And that's a completely legit POV.

So Zach should start taking runs at people in open ice? Zach has played his game about as well as he can. So far as I've seen, he hasn't made any egregious errors out on the ice or shown any signs at all that he's giving anything less than 100% effort. I understand that you want him to magically just force the team to win, but I don't see how you can fault him at all for the team being down 3-0 right now.

Nope didn't say any of this.

Edited by ben00rs, 04 June 2012 - 11:15 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#29 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

Rally if Zach wants to win a cup where would he go? He's there right now and we just have a few puzzle pieces missing. he could go to LA, but there's no guarantee Dean Lombardi will be in for him if the same Kings players return next season.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#30 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

If we lose Zach start courting Crosby. He is UFA after next season. :dance:

What are you talking about?

EDIT: Oh crap. You're right. Sorry, pissed off.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 04 June 2012 - 11:18 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#31 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

While Zach might or might not be among the league-leading goal scorers ever again, I believe he will keep improving as an all-around player. I'd hate to lose him.

#32 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

This thread is ridiculous because Kovalchuk played like hot garbage tonight not Zach.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#33 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

Ya'll have to understand....the premise of this thread is: I want Zach to show up big next game, because I support him and want to be able to argue for him to stay. As of right now I cannot reasonably do that.

This thread is ridiculous because Kovalchuk played like hot garbage tonight not Zach.

Again - I think everyone else is more emotional here because they aren't reading what I am saying. I don't deny Kovy played like garbage. Kovy is not an FA next year. Nor did I say it was all on Zach. He is the Captain though and he does need to prove to us he's worth the $ right now. And he isn't.

Edited by ben00rs, 04 June 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#34 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

Nope didn't say any of this.

You didn't, but what you say has implications. Be more specific if you don't want people to call you out on vague criticisms. Zach Parise isn't Scott Stevens, so why bring up Stevens when analyzing Parise's playoffs?

If you don't think Zach has done enough for the team to get them this far, then I flat out disagree. He has shown more than enough for me to realize that I want him to re-sign. It just comes down to whether we can fit him in cash-wise.

#35 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:39 PM

You didn't, but what you say has implications. Be more specific if you don't want people to call you out on vague criticisms. Zach Parise isn't Scott Stevens, so why bring up Stevens when analyzing Parise's playoffs?

I respectfully think you inferred poorly. What should I be more specific about - you chose to assume those things.

Vague criticisms? What I've said is:
I like Zach parise.
Zach Parise is a FA this summer.
Zach Parise is going to get a big contract.
Zach Parise hasn't yet proven he is worth that big deal.
Zach Parise hasn't risen to the occasion on the scoresheet.
Zach Parise hasn't risen to the occasion in general.
Zach Parise can still prove in game 4 he is worth that big deal.
If he does not, let him walk because he is a FA.

#36 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

zach has played his heart out every single game i have witnessed. that guy is the poster image of what playing with passion looks like. nobody can deny that

its really only this one series (these last 3 games) where he hasn't been producing. i know its THE cup, and it'd obviously be desired that he start to produce.. but when nobody at all has been able to really get going, its a little unfair to insist that we let one of the biggest free agents just walk away

cmon zach, we need you buddy. now and in the long term

:cheers: :cheers:

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#37 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

zach has played his heart out every single game i have witnessed. that guy is the poster image of what playing with passion looks like. nobody can deny that

its really only this one series (these last 3 games) where he hasn't been producing. i know its THE cup, and it'd obviously be desired that he start to produce.. but when nobody at all has been able to really get going, its a little unfair to insist that we let one of the biggest free agents just walk away

cmon zach, we need you buddy. now and in the long term

:cheers: :cheers:

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#38 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:43 AM

Kovy hasn't been playing well, but anyone who thinks he isn't injured should start paying closer attention. He would be absolutely lethal at 100% health. It's amazing that he was able to be so effective in the previous series due to his vision and shot alone. It's just that now that the games are so much tighter, he can't rely on that as much. I'd like for him to either take a game off, or else just take very limited minutes with time on the PP.

As for Zach, I think we're all being a bit emotional here. He has been playing hard. Unless he's looking to be the top paid player in the league, I think the Devils should do anything they can to keep him. I will be scared for the Devils offense in the future if Parise is no longer here.

#39 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

Parise is not a true game changer.

I'm coming to the conclusion that Zach really stands out in the regular season because he plays every game like it is a playoff. Yet when the actual playoffs arrive & other guys now raise their level, Zach doesn't stand out so much.
Its not that he plays any worse, but others rise to his level. I still hope the Devs can re-sign him, at least for the next 3 years. He wants to win so bad. In my mind, he gets one more playoff season to show he is that game-changer

#40 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,181 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

I'm coming to the conclusion that Zach really stands out in the regular season because he plays every game like it is a playoff. Yet when the actual playoffs arrive & other guys now raise their level, Zach doesn't stand out so much.
Its not that he plays any worse, but others rise to his level. I still hope the Devs can re-sign him, at least for the next 3 years. He wants to win so bad. In my mind, he gets one more playoff season to show he is that game-changer

I've been saying something similar for years. Others rise to his level and he just doesn't have the skill - outside of a five-on-five box in front of the net - to score. And that five-on-five area gets defended much better in the playoffs. The only time Zach ever had a big postseason was when he wasn't the go-to-guy.

That said, he's more important to this team than he would be somewhere else. He's the captain sure that can be overrated in some places, but he's the captain of a team that is hard-working, finally overachieved in the postseason, and finally bought in to what a coach was selling. God knows you gotta give him some credit for that.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users