If Zach Parise doesn't score next game....

Neb00rs

C to Kovy??? I hope you are kidding. . .

If Zach departs, Kovy is easily the Captain and I dont think theres even a debate as its clear Patty is not interested in that. The way he's changed his game and been the man this season cannot be disregarded. He's stunk this series, but its clear that he's injured. Kovalchuk is the best player on this team (when healthy) right now.

I've been mentally preparing myself for Zach to leave since the one year deal was agreed to this past offseason. That said, I think this run has solidified him in NJ. If he leaves, its going to be because someone blows him away with the offer. I said before the playoffs that I believed a run to the Conference Finals was what it would take to keep him here. Only one other team can say they made it to the Finals this year and I think this run will go a long way in his decision making.

The only thing I don't want this franchise to do is get involved in a bidding war. I do not want to see Zach get an 8 million dollar deal from us. I don't think he's worth that much and I think it would be a mistake to commit that much to him.

If we lose him, I just hope it happens fast so Lou can do something to attempt to replace him, or make the team better in some way. We won't be as good without him, but we would obviously have a huge hole to fill. I really hope Vanderbeek is being up front about the financial woes being cleared up soon, but I'm very skeptical of that and that is the one fear I have in preventing a long term deal here.

If Zach departs, Kovy is easily the Captain and I dont think theres even a debate as its clear Patty is not interested in that. The way he's changed his game and been the man this season cannot be disregarded. He's stunk this series, but its clear that he's injured. Kovalchuk is the best player on this team (when healthy) right now.

I've been mentally preparing myself for Zach to leave since the one year deal was agreed to this past offseason. That said, I think this run has solidified him in NJ. If he leaves, its going to be because someone blows him away with the offer. I said before the playoffs that I believed a run to the Conference Finals was what it would take to keep him here. Only one other team can say they made it to the Finals this year and I think this run will go a long way in his decision making.

The only thing I don't want this franchise to do is get involved in a bidding war. I do not want to see Zach get an 8 million dollar deal from us. I don't think he's worth that much and I think it would be a mistake to commit that much to him.

If we lose him, I just hope it happens fast so Lou can do something to attempt to replace him, or make the team better in some way. We won't be as good without him, but we would obviously have a huge hole to fill. I really hope Vanderbeek is being up front about the financial woes being cleared up soon, but I'm very skeptical of that and that is the one fear I have in preventing a long term deal here.

This +1000. Salvador would most likely become other A if he still with us. Another person I can see taking a leadership role in about 4 years is Henrique.

This +1000. Salvador would most likely become other A if he still with us. Another person I can see taking a leadership role in about 4 years is Henrique.

If Zach leaves and they dont sign a character guy to wear the C I would easily give it to Zajac. when healthy he is one of the best players on the team ALL AROUND Defensively as well as offensively.

If Zach leaves and they dont sign a character guy to wear the C I would easily give it to Zajac. when healthy he is one of the best players on the team ALL AROUND Defensively as well as offensively.

I actually wouldnt mind Travis at all. However, Travis is a UFA next offseason. Its possible we'll be going through this same baloney that we are with Zach this year, next year. For that alone, I don't think he'll get it, but he's another possibility for an A. Kovy is here for 10 more years or however long it is. I also dont understand why some people are still against him. He's proven himself this year beyond a shadow of a doubt, despite his poor play this series which I think has more to do with his health. He's said all the right things and its clear the rest of the team love him.

I think Travis would make a good captain if Zach leaves, but the money clearly is on them giving it to Kovy. He's the centerpiece for the present and future even with Zach here, and I can't see them realisitically giving it to anyone but Kovy (unless DeBoer decides Elias deserves another shot at captain) if Zach goes via FA.

I think Parise is a great player, but as several people here pointed out, he's not skilled enough to create offense out of nothing. Usually people who get payed as well as he will from july 1st are players who can dominate a game. I still hope he resigns with a cap hit similar to Kovys. Would be fun to see what this team can do next year if everyone is healthy and Henrique/Josefson take another step forward.

The problem I see with keep Parise is that there will always be a team or teams willing to overpay for an "overrated" player. I'm not using that word in a negative way but in a realistic market way. Look at the contracts given to some players compared to why they are really worth. Ville leino is an example. Jayson Werth, jimmy rollins, and Carlos Beltran in baseball. There will be a team offering him some outrageous contract that his play and statistics simply do not warrant.

The problem I see with keep Parise is that there will always be a team or teams willing to overpay for an "overrated" player. I'm not using that word in a negative way but in a realistic market way. Look at the contracts given to some players compared to why they are really worth. Ville leino is an example. Jayson Werth, jimmy rollins, and Carlos Beltran in baseball. There will be a team offering him some outrageous contract that his play and statistics simply do not warrant.

The Carlos Beltran contract, assuming we're talking about the ones the Mets signed, was excellent. And Parise is a player like Beltran in a way in that his best contributions don't always end up on the scoresheet in an obvious way, but they're definitely there if you look.

Parise is a poor public speaker and command of dialog/language counts when you're leader of the DEVS, he doesn't have those skills. Zach already earns $6 Million per year so I can't see him getting more than Kovy... I would like to see Parise stay if he agrees not demand a exorbitant salary, by giving him a long term secure deal, but comprising on salary to acquire a top defenseman. (sorta what Detroit is attempting to do)

It's obvious the back-end effects the performance of the front end... I wanta see where the money is coming from to pay for a top 2 Dman.

The Carlos Beltran contract, assuming we're talking about the ones the Mets signed, was excellent. And Parise is a player like Beltran in a way in that his best contributions don't always end up on the scoresheet in an obvious way, but they're definitely there if you look.

Yes, Beltran contract was a no-brainer at the time, can't dispute it.

I've argued this point with nmig many times, but my main issue with Beltran was that, when the game was on the line and he was coming up to the plate, if I was the opposing pitcher, I wasn't afraid of him...there are certain guys that scare me sh!tless when they come to the plate...guys like Jeter, Chipper Jones...they obviously don't come through every time in the "big spot" moments, but sometimes it just feels that way. As a fan of the Mets, Beltran never quite filled me up with that kind of confidence...when he took strike 3 against Wainwright, it didn't come as that big a shock...if Jeter had struck out there in the same way, I know I would've been surprised. Beltran's numbers always looked good by the end of the season, but more than one Met fan would wonder by season's end how he got them.

I do feel more confident that Parise will find a way to come through when needed, game on the line, than I did with Beltran...no real reason why, as it's not like he's had a playoff season anywhere close to what Beltran did with the Astros in '04...and it's really a hard comparison to make, probably couldn't make more of an apples-to-oranges comparison than this one, given the respective venues.

Parise is a poor public speaker and command of dialog/language counts when you're leader of the DEVS, he doesn't have those skills. Zach already earns $6 Million per year so I can't see him getting more than Kovy... I would like to see Parise stay if he agrees not demand a exorbitant salary, by giving him a long term secure deal, but comprising on salary to acquire a top defenseman. (sorta what Detroit is attempting to do)

It's obvious the back-end effects the performance of the front end... I wanta see where the money is coming from to pay for a top 2 Dman.

Oh please, so now everyone ever to lead a team or be a Captain had to be a wordsmith who can spew inspirational dialog on command?

I'm sorry, so many fans have this fairy-tale idea of what a Captain should be...it's actually quite comical.

Yes, Beltran contract was a no-brainer at the time, can't dispute it.

I've argued this point with nmig many times, but my main issue with Beltran was that, when the game was on the line and he was coming up to the plate, if I was the opposing pitcher, I wasn't afraid of him...there are certain guys that scare me sh!tless when they come to the plate...guys like Jeter, Chipper Jones...they obviously don't come through every time in the "big spot" moments, but sometimes it just feels that way. As a fan of the Mets, Beltran never quite filled me up with that kind of confidence...when he took strike 3 against Wainwright, it didn't come as that big a shock...if Jeter had struck out there in the same way, I know I would've been surprised. Beltran's numbers always looked good by the end of the season, but more than one Met fan would wonder by season's end how he got them.

I do feel more confident that Parise will find a way to come through when needed, game on the line, than I did with Beltran...no real reason why, as it's not like he's had a playoff season anywhere close to what Beltran did with the Astros in '04...and it's really a hard comparison to make, probably couldn't make more of an apples-to-oranges comparison than this one, given the respective venues.

But you weren't the opposing pitcher. Beltran's value wasn't in his ability to hit, although that was certainly part of it, he was a phenomenal fielder, and was second to none in his ability to steal bases without getting caught.

Beltran's playoff stats: .366/.485/.817 - that doesn't seem like it's been very easy for people to get him out in big spots. I don't understand why Met fans insist on boiling his career down to one at-bat, much like I trust that Devils fans will knock Parise for not scoring in the Cup Finals if he goes elsewhere.

But you weren't the opposing pitcher. Beltran's value wasn't in his ability to hit, although that was certainly part of it, he was a phenomenal fielder, and was second to none in his ability to steal bases without getting caught.

Beltran's playoff stats: .366/.485/.817 - that doesn't seem like it's been very easy for people to get him out in big spots. I don't understand why Met fans insist on boiling his career down to one at-bat, much like I trust that Devils fans will knock Parise for not scoring in the Cup Finals if he goes elsewhere.

In bold: well, yeah, duh.

Don't want to turn this into a Beltran debate, but Beltran never really stole bases like he did before he became a Met, though he did continue to steal them at about the same success rate, %-wise.

And you know full well that Beltran's playoff sample size consisted of all of two postseasons, one monster, off-the-charts one, and one good one. I'm not holding his career to one single at-bat either...more just that the result wasn't that much of a surprise.

I know his numbers were a sabermetrician's wet dream, but there was just something missing about him, and there was a reason that when he strolled up to the plate with runners on and his team down late, I wasn't feeling strongly that he was going to get the job done. And I'm not the only Met fan who feels this way.

Anyway, re: Parise, kind of hard to single him out when no one else is scoring. I don't doubt that some fans (I won't be one of them) will indeed knock Parise for not scoring, but then they'd better knock nearly everyone else.

In bold: well, yeah, duh.

Don't want to turn this into a Beltran debate, but Beltran never really stole bases like he did before he became a Met, though he did continue to steal them at about the same success rate, %-wise.

And you know full well that Beltran's playoff sample size consisted of all of two postseasons, one monster, off-the-charts one, and one good one. I'm not holding his career to one single at-bat either...more just that the result wasn't that much of a surprise.

I know his numbers were a sabermetrician's wet dream, but there was just something missing about him, and there was a reason that when he strolled up to the plate with runners on and his team down late, I wasn't feeling strongly that he was going to get the job done. And I'm not the only Met fan who feels this way.

Anyway, re: Parise, kind of hard to single him out when no one else is scoring. I don't doubt that some fans (I won't be one of them) will indeed knock Parise for not scoring, but then they'd better knock nearly everyone else.

I know you're not the only Met fan who feels that way, but it doesn't make sense to me and never has. It's merely perception, with no basis to it. Most players don't get the job done with runners on, that's why it's hard to score runs. His stats in high leverage spots are good. His stats in late-and-close situations aren't great but they're certainly not terrible. His stats with RISP are real good. And even if these things were or were not true, there's no way you could perceive them to be true or not true.

Anyway - these are the sorts of things that will be said about Parise if he stops scoring 30 goals a year, but I imagine he'll still be driving play forward.

Oh please, so now everyone ever to lead a team or be a Captain had to be a wordsmith who can spew inspirational dialog on command?

I'm sorry, so many fans have this fairy-tale idea of what a Captain should be...it's actually quite comical.

Stevens was known for not being much of a speaker but always leading by example, as Zach does.

Since this became a Carlos Beltran thread:

Disregarding the fact that Mets might not have been able to pay for it with the Madoff issues, it was clearly a good signing since he helped the Mets and they were able to trade the last year of it for a decent prospect. It's like the Gomez contract for the Rangers. Gomez was a decent Ranger for a few years and they were able to trade him for McDonagh. That worked out brilliantly for them. (Of course you can always claim massive opportunity costs with made up scenarios where the teams save the money and sign player X instead a year later, but most of these are usually fantasy)

The whole premise that you are "overpaying" for free agents is kind of flawed anyway. You are acquiring talent from nowhere. You don't have to pay for the talent in terms of years and games of development time like you have to do with rookies. If you want talent you have to pay for it somehow. Comparing a FA contract with a cost controlled RFA contract is kind of ridiculous in terms of arguing that you're overpaying. Obviously I'd rather give Parise Giroux's contract if I were the Devils, but it's just ignoring the nature of the marketplace. It's like complaining that your rent is overpriced after you compare it to another rent controlled apartment.

Have you heard Dustin Brown speak? He sounds like he has a bowl of cornflakes rattling around his mouth. Not sure what you say matters as much as what you do. Do you remember what Stevens "said" to Kozlov and Lindros?

I'll put my hockey credentials and experience in the sport up against your pukeazz snipes anytime.