Photo

Bench Kovalchuk

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Poll: Bench Kovalchuk (92 member(s) have cast votes)

Bench Kovalchuk?

1. No (62 votes [67.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.39%

2. Yes for Harrold (7 votes [7.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.61%

3. Yes for Josefson (23 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

I'd rather see Harrold come in and do his Kovalchuk impression again. They guy is clearly hurt, and I admire his toughness to play through pain. But I think the team is better off with him out of the lineup. The Power Play is just an absolute train wreck with him in there.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#2 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

the easiest way to fix the PP is to use two defensemen. they're not pulling him at this point. whether they'll be able to shove him on a plane against after tonight/tomorrow morning is a whole other thing. but if they can get him on the plane he's playing

#3 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

i can see why you are saying he's i liability- he does look a little slow.

but listen, in our current situation, you cannot pull out our star because he is just way too dangerous. you cannot bench that shot

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#4 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

I voted no because there is absolutely NO CHANCE he gets benched.

#5 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

i can see why you are saying he's i liability- he does look a little slow.

but listen, in our current situation, you cannot pull out our star because he is just way too dangerous. you cannot bench that shot

he doesn't really have it. he's borderline stationary and has no skating speed. logically he shouldn't be playing but you can't tell the guy no if he's killing himself to play. if he's bad enough that they can't give him any more shots because they're afraid he'll maim himself, it's gotta be pretty bad.

#6 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,893 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

Kovy's 'only' impact is on the power play, but he really shouldn't be playing the point. Problem is there aren't too many other people that can even do it. The only other guy who does it (Zidlicky) is also hurt, and our #3 PP QB was benched in favor of Tallinder.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#7 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

I get the logic, but you need the shot, and probably the leadership.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#8 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

Yeah, you really can't bench Kovy, but you HAVE to limit his minutes. He shouldn't be playing the entirety of every power play.

When we had the back-to-back power plays, someone noted he was on ice for something like 5 minutes of a 5:30 stretch, which is probably a little nuts when he's 100%, let alone the MacGyver'd version of him we have right now, being held together with a guitar pick, wad of chewing gum, and a #2 pencil.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#9 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

I know they have to fly cross country, but with 2 days off I'm hoping the medical staff can work some sort of magic. Every little bit counts.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#10 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

Hopefully Kovy will have some more magic done and he comes back fresh.
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#11 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,351 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

I know they have to fly cross country, but with 2 days off I'm hoping the medical staff can work some sort of magic. Every little bit counts.

yea, loads of oxycontin. I don't think there's much they can do for kovy at this point except numb him
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#12 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

Kovy just needs to have his minutes shortened.

#13 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

yea its wishful thinking but how amazing would it be if another two day rest helps Kovy out just a little.

regardless, i think the only thing we really can/ should do is just cease to double shift him

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#14 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

yea, loads of oxycontin. I don't think there's much they can do for kovy at this point except numb him

Shot of cortisone in his spine. Yep, they aren't fun but they work.
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#15 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

I don't think they're doing it anymore. He looks worse than he did in the first 2-3 weeks of the playoffs after looking halfway decent skating wise for most of the Flyers series and the beginning of the Rangers series. If you keep numbing someone up, they don't feel pain and then they fvck themselves up worse. If you feel it at least you have limits.

He looks around 37-38 years old out there right now.

And if they ARE doing it and this is what he looks like I'm a bit concerned for his future

#16 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

I get the logic, but you need the shot, and probably the leadership.

This

#17 socbrian

socbrian

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:08 PM

Shot of cortisone in his spine. Yep, they aren't fun but they work.

Yeah I think this is what they did to him during the PHI series.. Not all to knowledgeable with them, but can you do two in a close period of time?

#18 MoKovy

MoKovy

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

I can see why people would want him subbed out but to be honest he has had some great plays cause his passing is still one of the best to set up some good plays. But that's not the only reason, I think it could be a moral crusher to the team to see one of your best players taken out of the game and a show of weakness to the Kings even though both of those reasons could also be untrue. If he would be taken out though i could see JJ be a good replacement I remember seeing him hustle for the puck quite well this series when he played the first 3 games but it angers me when he is almost afraid to shoot the puck when it should be of been fired.

Edited by MoKovy, 06 June 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#19 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

the easiest way to fix the PP is to use two defensemen. they're not pulling him at this point. whether they'll be able to shove him on a plane against after tonight/tomorrow morning is a whole other thing. but if they can get him on the plane he's playing

Agreed

#20 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

This.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users