101 replies to this topic

#1 smelly

smelly

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

Lou has to bid him farewell. Neither the fans nor the players would -- or should -- tolerate his return. It would be an act of mercy. And justice.

#2 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

Lou has to bid him farewell. Neither the fans nor the players would -- or should -- tolerate his return. It would be an act of mercy. And justice.

It's all extremely unfortunate. You can't give up three PP goals, but that penalty was incredibly stupid.

#3 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

Maybe in a couple of days I'll appreciate the good work he did throughout the postseason, but right now he's the guy Lou rescued from a career in the AHL, who cost the team a shot at the cup tonight.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#4 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

Bernier is sticking around. One hit doesn't ruin a full season of good. It still sucks.

Lets put it this way too, if they Refs had called the Gio bording the play would have never progressed to that point.

#5 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

My wife asked me what I was hoping for after the boarding major, and I said, "That the Devils kill it all." I missed it by three goals.

#6 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

I think he's not only played his last Devils game, but maybe his last in the NHL.

#7 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

All I can say regarding Bernier:

:argh:

Edit: Which, ironically, is exactly what Scuderi did on the hit. :giggle:

Edited by Devilsfan118, 11 June 2012 - 08:46 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#8 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

Bernier is sticking around. One hit doesn't ruin a full season of good. It still sucks.

Lets put it this way too, if they Refs had called the Gio bording the play would have never progressed to that point.

I can't imagine Lou being that diplomatic about this particular situation. He'll have an equally diplomatic reason to have Bernier out on his ass.

I'm here for the party

#9 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

I can't imagine Lou being that diplomatic about this particular situation. He'll have an equally diplomatic reason to have Bernier out on his ass.

I don't know if you were trying to be funny, but that was funny. :D

#10 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

Not a chance. He's had a couple other instances. This is not only unforgiveable. It's now his NHL legacy. He's done as a Devil. Lou will never forgive this or allow him to get crucified by the Devils fans to boot.

I think his NHL career to be quite honest is completely over. He was basically rescued by Lou from the AHL. There was talk he was thinking of hanging up his skates this year.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#11 smelly

smelly

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:52 PM

Sorry -- totally disagree. It's simply not tenable. He's frankly not good enough to warrant a break on this. Some things are unforgivable -- fresh start somewhere else. Or nowhere. As the case may be.

Edited by smelly, 11 June 2012 - 08:52 PM.

#12 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

Bernier is gone. That hit (and the 5 minute call/misconduct) will just leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth forever. It sucks but that's life.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#13 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

I think he'll be back. He's been playing great lately (besides that incredibly stupid hit) and I'm confident that if someone else got the penalty (depending on who obviously) and Bernier was still playing the game would be different. That 4th line had been great for us.

#14 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

He should have never been in there. Oncw Sykie was back JJ should have been in his spot.

#15 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,927 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

He's taken a few dumb penalties before and he deserves to go. I don't care about the positives this major(pun intended) negative has ruined all the good he did for me.

#16 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

I think he'll be back. He's been playing great lately (besides that incredibly stupid hit) and I'm confident that if someone else got the penalty (depending on who obviously) and Bernier was still playing the game would be different. That 4th line had been great for us.

Not a chance brother. He's actually been mediocre lately. Carter and Gionta have outplayed him this series for the most part. The 4th line was a great story for the playoffs, but I doubt highly this line will still be together next season at this point (never mind all these guys still being Devils). They were a flash-in the pan story. Turnover is necessary, even on Cup-qualifying teams.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#17 Hades

Hades

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

If it was not him it would have been someone else. The NHL fix was in.

#18 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

He will be gone 5 minutes after the team photo ala Oliwa a few years back.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#19 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

wow love how everyone dumps on BERNIER for a ridiculous inexcusable call by the stripes. If anything I'd accept 2 mins and that's it. It was not Steve's fault the king turned around half a second before the hit. Sorry the ref blew it, gift wrapped it for the Kings and the league should be embarrassed they pandered to LA all series. The whole situation sucks but dumping on Bernier is not where the hate should go. He didn't cost us the game, the men in stripes did. Hope the Kings enjoy their tainted cup. Maybe next year they'll actually be unbiased...

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#20 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,087 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

Bernier is gone. That hit (and the 5 minute call/misconduct) will just leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth forever. It sucks but that's life.

It's one thing if you're a Kovy or a Parise and you do what he did, but when you're a Bernier-type, you gotta go. Might seem harsh, but he can't come back here after that.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users