Bernier claimed he didn't even see the Gionta hit so it wasn't a retaliation situation.
So much for benefit of the doubt. It was just a senseless, stupid followthrough. Maybe the NHL needs the same jerseys as the Pee Wees where there's a giant stop sign on the back.
I'm not going there, I'm really not. Bernier wasn't trying to sell a call, it was a natural reaction when the stick is inches from your eyes.
I don't buy it. I believe it was the next game where Josefson took a stick straight to the grill and he wasn't phased at all. And that's Josefson. New Jersey's own Mr. Glass.
Bye Bye, Bernie. I really, honestly do appreciate all the guts and heart you showed throughout 99% of the playoffs. But the other 1% was ugly and non-Devil enough to where I won't bemoan your departure.
Besides, let's be honest. After these playoffs, both Carter and Bernier will be courted by other teams. If I had to choose between the two as to who I'd be more willing to overpay and give $1M+ to in order to keep him, it's an easy choice. Carter.