#81 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Countdown to no more pipedreams about Ryan Suter becoming a Devil: 14 days

He found a way to get Griffey and Bonds without giving up too much.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#82 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

A quick read on the five Devils restricted free agents.

Mark Fayne Tops List of RFA's for NJ

#83 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,325 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

Nice article man. I didn't realized you blogged, I'll have to add it to my list.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#84 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,689 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

Think about it, signing Parise and Suter in the same off season would have the Devils sign the two most lucrative free agents on the market, by a long shot. When have we ever done that before?

They came pretty close two offseasons ago with Kovy and Volchenkov lol. I don't even remember who else was a big deal that year, Paul Martin? :lol:

the issue isn't so much spending to the cap on a year by year basis. i would think this team has about $80mm in revenue w/ one round of playoffs. the issue is that they need to make enough profit to somehow get this loan paid off in the next 10 years. there's no $80mm payment coming this summer in any way. Its going to be refinanced to where, say, $20mm is paid and the loan is stretched out another 5-10 years.

regarding suter - everyone is right - technically he is affordable. but its a huge waste of resources to go after him. it is not a position of need for the devils. unless volchenkov is being traded (NMC) there's not really a slot for him. the devils defense was fairly excellent this year and should only improve next year with a full year of tallinder and zidlicky and a sophomore year from Larsson.

The other issue is if you do re-sign Zach it'll probably be a frontloaded deal. To what degree, who knows...but if you have Kovy getting $11 million per year the next few years and Zach getting some hefty salaries too, then you have to spend at least several million over the cap just to get to the cap.

The RFA season won't be the same without Mark Fraser taking us to arbitration.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#85 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

Nice article man. I didn't realized you blogged, I'll have to add it to my list.

Thanks man. I was/am a freelance journalist for a little while in to keep busy and a friend of mine asked me to help out for his blog. Just a more constructed place to put my thoughts.

I really think Fayne is a great defensemen, it is disappointing to think replacing him would be easy and he isn't worth much more than $1.5M

#86 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said Monday that not all of team's potential RFAs will receive qualifying offers, but D Mark Fayne already did.

#87 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

Are we rumored to be after any players besides parise? I havnt heard anything. But maybe thats good news cause it seems like whenever we are rumored to be after players in free agency we dont get them. I remember being really surprised by the volchenkov, tallinder, moose summer. I dont think we were connected to them at all going into free agency*

Edited by njd3b1ink, 19 June 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#88 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

Josh Harding is off the board. Re-upped with Minnesota.

#89 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

@TGfireandice: RT @Russostrib: #mnwild announces Josh Harding has been re-signed to multi-year deal; teams looking for goalies have one less to pick from.

#90 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

Are we rumored to be after any players besides parise? I havnt heard anything. But maybe thats good news cause it seems like whenever we are rumored to be after players in free agency we dont get them. I remember being really surprised by the volchenkov, tallinder, moose summer. I dont think we were connected to them at all going into free agency*

The Devils are never connected to anyone until it happens, besides our own guys staying/going. I cannot recall one Devils rumor (aside from midseason trades Kovalchuk and Zidlicky) that have ever happened and none in respect to free agents. Its best to disregard Devils rumors for the most part, especially free agents that have never played here before.

#91 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:06 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, but one or both of the Volchenkov/Tallinder signings were almost reaction actions when Martin left.

What also was confusing last year was when we got Janssen then Boulton after that. Still doesn't make sense.

#92 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,323 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:28 AM

Maybe I'm wrong, but one or both of the Volchenkov/Tallinder signings were almost reaction actions when Martin left.

What also was confusing last year was when we got Janssen then Boulton after that. Still doesn't make sense.

You could say they were reactions but Lou already knew Martin was gone. He asked him before July 1 if he would take a discount to stay. He said no and Lou was ready to offer Tallinder an Volchenkov more than anyone else but still less than Martin. I was against that move at the time but it has proven to be correct.

Boulton doesn't make sense now but he was not the worst player in hockey before he got here. He is now of course. And Janssen was on a 2-way. I don't know that Lou really thought over the summer they'd both make the team.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#93 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

You could say they were reactions but Lou already knew Martin was gone. He asked him before July 1 if he would take a discount to stay. He said no and Lou was ready to offer Tallinder an Volchenkov more than anyone else but still less than Martin. I was against that move at the time but it has proven to be correct.

Boulton doesn't make sense now but he was not the worst player in hockey before he got here. He is now of course. And Janssen was on a 2-way. I don't know that Lou really thought over the summer they'd both make the team.

I agree with the last paragraph. Even though I hate how Boulton still has a year left, I can't beat up Lou too badly. It appears that Boults is well liked in the locker room and you really don't want to mess with chemistry. I recall Kovalchuk being upset when news broke of him being placed on waivers

#94 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

A piece on the status of our UFA netminders

Marty and the Moose

#95 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,724 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

All you have to do is Google "Paul Martin bad contract", and you'll see how things have been going for him in Pittsburgh. Lou was 100% right on that one. I never looked at Martin and thought "$5 mil per year", same as I never looked at Gio and thought "$5 mil per year". Gotta give Lou credit for not being the guy who follows everyone else jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge. When it comes to guys he let walk, he's usually been proven right.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#96 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

Via TG

Confirmed that D Mark Fayne (previously reported), D Matt Corrente and RW Vladimir Zharkov all received qualifying offers.

Interested in the # for Fayne, not surprised at Corrente, and glad about Zharkov. I have no complaints.

#97 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

Interested in the # for Fayne, not surprised at Corrente, and glad about Zharkov. I have no complaints.

Usually qualifying offers are for the minimum that can be offered, it ensures you retain the players rights while you negotiate the real contract. So Fayne likely go offered $582,750, with both sides knowing that isn't a real offer, just a formality.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#98 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

What's everyone think about Zharkov? Is he off to the KHL if he isn't guaranteed time in the NHL (aka 1-way contract?)

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#99 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

Usually qualifying offers are for the minimum that can be offered, it ensures you retain the players rights while you negotiate the real contract. So Fayne likely go offered $582,750, with both sides knowing that isn't a real offer, just a formality.

Im aware of this being a formality. Fayne will be getting more than that. Thats why Im curious about the #, I know he wont be sticking at the qualifier.

#100 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

What's everyone think about Zharkov? Is he off to the KHL if he isn't guaranteed time in the NHL (aka 1-way contract?)

I love Zharkov! I hope he stays here and impresses everyone during camp, maybe he can put some pucks in the net for once...I can dream. :rolleyes:

believe-zubrus.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users