JakeDev

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

Well we're going to hit 100 pages and Zach is probably signing for 100 m :P

edit: first post on 100

Edited by JakeDev, 04 July 2012 - 09:28 AM.

#1982 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,447 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

It certainly doesn't happen PUBLICLY all that often. Teams and agents whisper stuff to each other all the time, but this is different. Putting it out there publicly was basically a guarantee they would follow through. And it also sent every other team in the league a message publicly too.

Right, this is different. It's you blowing something way out of proportion.

Parise's been a free agent for 4 days. Every team has had ample opportunity to make a better offer than anyone else.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1983 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

lol, yeah, tampering. Parise's been talking with Lou three times a day, but clearly he had no interest in coming back, it was just chit-chat, how's the weather, that sort of thing.

dr33: no, the Wild are still awful, and if they sign Parise and Suter, they're pretty much at the salary cap with (still) a pretty bad team.

Yup. And they are going to be tied into long-term cap hits at high numbers on two good, but not superstar players. If guys like Granlund, Brodin, Coyle pan out, they're going to become offer-sheet targets if there's a GM who is bold enough. The window for the Wild to try and contend may open and close in a quick fashion.

I'm not too broken-hearted over Parise leaving at the kind of money being talked about. I think the Wild may eventually suffer buyer's remorse on Parise down the road, much moreso than any Suter deal.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#1984 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,944 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

It looks like everyone is looking for something..anything to get mad at because of this situation. And if it wasn't this it be that. If it wasn't a comment after game 6, it be some comment before arbitration. I still feel Parise has handled this as well as possible given the circumstances.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1985 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,950 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Right, this is different. It's you blowing something way out of proportion.

Parise's been a free agent for 4 days. Every team has had ample opportunity to make a better offer than anyone else.

And you don't think the initial offers on July 1 all started at a higher level because of the Wild's comments? Who in their right mind would offer Parise a 13-100 (the way the Flyers supposedly did) or some of these other rumored offers, unless you knew someone was willing to offer more than that or figured you had to go to that level to hope of topping everyone else?
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1986 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,241 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

And you don't think the initial offers on July 1 all started at a higher level because of the Wild's comments? Who in their right mind would offer Parise a 13-100 (the way the Flyers supposedly did) or some of these other rumored offers, unless you knew someone was willing to offer more than that or figured you had to go to that level to hope of topping everyone else?

who cares where they started. they would've gotten there immediately. parise was ALWAYS going to see what the Wild's offer was regardless of what was put out there. his dad is clearly an influence. the suter thing is relatively new - at least that it was something that teams were trying to do.

i'll be disappointed but i can't fault parise for going to minnesotta.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#1987 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

It looks like everyone is looking for something..anything to get mad at because of this situation. And if it wasn't this it be that. If it wasn't a comment after game 6, it be some comment before arbitration. I still feel Parise has handled this as well as possible given the circumstances.

Dude, you're not allowed to be rational about this. Gotta join the anti-Parise groupthink!

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#1988 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,447 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

Yup. And they are going to be tied into long-term cap hits at high numbers on two good, but not superstar players. If guys like Granlund, Brodin, Coyle pan out, they're going to become offer-sheet targets if there's a GM who is bold enough. The window for the Wild to try and contend may open and close in a quick fashion.

I'm not too broken-hearted over Parise leaving at the kind of money being talked about. I think the Wild may eventually suffer buyer's remorse on Parise down the road, much moreso than any Suter deal.

C'mon, offer sheet, who is the last significant player to be offer sheeted? Thomas Vanek? Dustin Penner, I guess? The Wild also have some bad contracts ending soon that should free them up to make some decent moves. Even if we assume Parise and Suter to be signed for a combined 16MM, the Wild will have 52M committed to 16 players next year. That should give them significant breathing room. They're still not building a championship team unless Granlund is really something special, but they've got some pieces in place to be good.

Edited by Triumph, 04 July 2012 - 09:38 AM.

#1989 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

Sorry, I just woke up and am having trouble finding when exactly it became a forgone conclusion that Parise is signing with the Wild. Can anyone fill me in?
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#1990 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,697 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

Sorry, I just woke up and am having trouble finding when exactly it became a forgone conclusion that Parise is signing with the Wild. Can anyone fill me in?

Apparently because suter is expected to sign with the wild.

#1991 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,124 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

There really isn't anything definitive, it's more of a general feeling. I haven't ruled out his coming back to NJ (and in fairness, a lot of the posts here are using "if", in regards to Minnesota), but if he doesn't, I'm not going to be taking it all that hard. I actually think the Devils might be better off in the long run if Parise DOESN'T come back.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1992 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Suter's supposed to make his decision today

Parise decision could come at same time, especially if they are trying to coordinate destination

https://twitter.com/...527178981449728

LeBrun's even posting about Suter + Parise

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 04 July 2012 - 09:51 AM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#1993 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,950 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

Apparently because suter is expected to sign with the wild.

That, and Parise's interview last night where he admitted he was talking with Suter throughout the process. And the fact both have been unsigned for days but are supposedly both going to decide today. And the fact so many teams offered them both a package deal.

No smoking gun yet, but a ****load of circumstantial evidence.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1994 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,447 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

There really isn't anything definitive, it's more of a general feeling. I haven't ruled out his coming back to NJ (and in fairness, a lot of the posts here are using "if", in regards to Minnesota), but if he doesn't, I'm not going to be taking it all that hard. I actually think the Devils might be better off in the long run if Parise DOESN'T come back.

In 5 years, I don't think it's a question. Even though I don't think Richard Pryor from Brewster's Millions will still be running the team at that point, Kovalchuk will already be entering a decline. Having two forwards like that on a mid-budget team could be brutal.

#1995 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

Thank you for the clarifications. :cheers:
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#1996 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrunTold that over the past 36 hours, the dialogue between Parise and Suter picked up considerably...

Because of this bullsh!t.

#1997 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,124 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:53 AM

In 5 years, I don't think it's a question. Even though I don't think Richard Pryor from Brewster's Millions will still be running the team at that point, Kovalchuk will already be entering a decline. Having two forwards like that on a mid-budget team could be brutal.

And I think there's still plenty Lou can do here. And yeah, one absurd contact on the books is enough.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1998 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

jesus. if they both end up in minnesota, have fun never winning a cup!

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#1999 Allthegoodnamesweretaken

Allthegoodnamesweretaken

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

I see this Parise thread won't have the happy ending the Kovy one did. :(

#2000 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

And I think there's still plenty Lou can do here. And yeah, one absurd contact on the books is enough.

With Kovy's cap hit, I can't call his contract absurd at all. He's not going to make 100 million dollars... he won't play the last few years of the deal... he got not ridiculous signing bonus. Parise and Suter's cap hits are going to be at least 7.5-8 mil if not much more. You tell me who's the team player. I'm pretty damn happy to have Kovalchuk with a cap hit that will never screw over the team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users