2873 replies to this topic

#2681 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Yeah I think that's because DM has turned certain functions off because of the high traffic. Should be able to change it in a day or two.

Add one more week of craziness & high traffic as we have sign Krys Barch..

#2682 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

For the last time, the amendment to the CBA specifically sets out the parameters of long term frontloaded deals. If you are in compliance, no cap circumvention.

Yep.

First: For long-term contracts extending beyond the age of 40, the contract's average annual value for the years up to and including 40, are calculated by dividing total value in those years by the number of years up to and including 40. Then for the years covering ages 41 and beyond, the cap charge in each year is equal to the value of the contract in that year.

This contract doesn't extend Zach beyond the age of 40, so this part doesn't pertain to him.

Secondly, for long-term contracts that include years in which the player is 36, 37, 38, 39 and 40; the amount used for purposes of calculating his average annual value is a minimum of $1 million in each of those years (even if his actual compensation is less during those seasons).

This contract doesn't have any seasons that drop below $1M, so again, is doesn't pertain to him.

I coulda swore there was something else in the amendments about how much the salary can drop from one season to the next, but can't find anything to corroborate that. In the end, it doesn't appear that there is anything in Zach or Suter's contracts that circumvents anything in the current CBA or the Kovy-inspired amendment.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#2683 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

Question:

Has any player past or present ever played Parise's style of game effectively beyond their lat 20's? I don't recall any...

The majority of forwards that seem to be effective past their mid 20's have great vision and shooting skills which I believe Parise lacked. Kovalchuk however has the skills that are effective as a player ages.

ZP's goals come from within 10 feet of the net, and he is going to have a harder and harder time getting those.

Edited by oofrostonoo, 05 July 2012 - 12:11 PM.

Posted Image

#2684 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

Yep.
I coulda swore there was something else in the amendments about how much the salary can drop from one season to the next, but can't find anything to corroborate that. In the end, it doesn't appear that there is anything in Zach or Suter's contracts that circumvents anything in the current CBA or the Kovy-inspired amendment.

I believe, without looking it up, the contract can't drop more than half of the average of the first 2 years of the contract, so Parise can drop 6 million a year, if that's the case.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#2685 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

I believe, without looking it up, the contract can't drop more than half of the average of the first 2 years of the contract, so Parise can drop 6 million a year, if that's the case.

If that's the case, then it could get a little tricky. In both of these contracts, the salary in each of the first two years is $2M. The other $10M comes from signing bonuses. I guess those all get lumped together for cap purposes? Because if it goes by pure salary, then the value wouldn't be able to drop by more than $1M a year.
Posted Image

#2686 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

If that's the case, then it could get a little tricky. In both of these contracts, the salary in each of the first two years is $2M. The other $10M comes from signing bonuses. I guess those all get lumped together for cap purposes? Because if it goes by pure salary, then the value wouldn't be able to drop by more than $1M a year.

Signing bonuses count when they're paid, I believe. Capgeek lists them as such.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#2687 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

Question:

Has any player past or present ever played Parise's style of game effectively beyond their lat 20's? I don't recall any...

The majority of forwards that seem to be effective past their mid 20's have great vision and shooting skills which I believe Parise lacked. Kovalchuk however has the skills that are effective as a player ages.

ZP's goals come from within 10 feet of the net, and he is going to have a harder and harder time getting those.

and has been having a harder and harder time getting those.
It's the whiskey talking.

#2688 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

Just my $.02 after taking yesterday to calm down about this a little.

First, Zach was a great player for us. Not only did he consistently put up points, his presence with Kovy gave us a dynamic scoring line that was a threat each time they were on the ice. He was the motor of this team and losing him will hurt, greatly. I understand everyone is angry and upset with how he handled things, what he said previously, and didn't say, but his competitiveness was unquestioned and when he said he gave everything he had on a nightly basis, I would agree with him. I still think this team can be competitive without him, but we are not nearly as good today as we were a month ago. And with no forward
depth in the organization, no easy answers are to be found from within. However, Parise is not worth $100 million, especially to a team that, according to the NY Post "sources" is about to declare bankruptcy. :rolleyes: Therefore, I have conflicting emotions today, as I surely will miss watching Parise play 82+ games per year in a Devils jersey, but would not have wanted any part of the ridiculous contract (in terms of both years and $) that he got from Minnesota.

You can't just replace Parise with someone like Semin. On a line with Kovy, you need the other wing to forecheck and dig pucks out of the corners. You need someone to be able to stickhandle in tight spaces with great effect. Semin has a great shot, but he doesn't possess those skills. Maybe Henrique will be able to do it, but we will be asking him to play an unnatural position and also decrease our strength down the middle in the process. For my money, the best option would be a trade for Ryan, depending on the price.

Amazingly, the team that is sitting back and watching all of this unfold with a great big smile has to be the Rags. Over the past 3 weeks, all of their major rivals have gotten markedly worse since last season (Devils - lose Parise; Flyers - lose Carle and Jagr - who had great chemistry with Giroux and Hartnell, and helped turn Sideshow Bob into a legit scoring threat; Pens - lose Staal and Michalek and replace them with "prospects"; Isles - well, who really gives a sh!t). Meanwhile, the Rags continue to stock up on goons like its 1974, but generally return their entire roster that still can't score more than 1-2 goals per game, but was good enough for first in the East during the regular season and a loss to us in the ECF.

It will be interesting to see what comes next for this team. This one hurt, a lot. However, we've been through it before with Niedermayer (IMO it was much worse losing Nieds than Parise), and somehow we always find a way to survive.
Posted Image

#2689 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

Signing bonuses count when they're paid, I believe. Capgeek lists them as such.

I was finally able to find some other info on it. In short, the only difference between salary and signing bonus is when the player receives the money. For cap purposes, they're treated as one and the same.
Posted Image

#2690 mort4345

mort4345

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

I heard the Wild just signed Chris Bosh - now they are indeed unstoppable.

#2691 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

Can you imagine our offense in two years if Zajac left via FA and Elias retired?

I don't want too.

#2692 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

Can you imagine our offense in two years if Zajac left via FA and Elias retired?

I don't want too.

We'd be Atlanta pre-Kovy trade.

#2693 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

This tweet sums up everything.

New Jersey Devils ‏@NHLDevils

RT @vicricci: "Sorry to see Zach go....But The #NHLDevils have never been about an individual player. It's about the sweater! Go Devils!"

#2694 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

Well thank the maker for Baghdad bob-esque propaganda.

The guy wearing the sweater is pretty important. If you don't think that, then you must be pretty stoked about signing Krys F'n Barch.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#2695 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

its true but put... Jim Carey instead of Brodeur, Stephane Quintal instead of Niedermayer, Brad Werenka instead of Stevens, Jamie Rivers instead of Daneyko and Andre Savage instead of Elias... not sure those jerseys would have done it lol

www.SterioDesign.com

#2696 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

I don't want too.

I don't see Patty retiring...at all

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#2697 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Oh I think Elias is done after 2 more seasons. Likely by his choice.....However I think he has less than 60 goals left in his career. He may play a 3rd year if its needed to reach 1000 pts.
Just my .02

#2698 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

The guy wearing the sweater is pretty important. If you don't think that, then you must be pretty stoked about signing Krys F'n Barch.

I think he meshes better with Kovy.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#2699 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

Oh I think Elias is done after 2 more seasons. Likely by his choice.....However I think he has less than 60 goals left in his career. He may play a 3rd year if its needed to reach 1000 pts.
Just my .02

Elias is still producing in his old age. I expect him to put up 55-60 at the worst this year, and similar numbers the year after. He will play for another year or 2 after his current deal expires.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#2700 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

I don't see Patty retiring...at all

he outproduced a guy worth 98 millions last season, im sure he has a decent amount of gas left in the tank

Edited by SterioDesign, 05 July 2012 - 03:24 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users