2873 replies to this topic

#401 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

If they replace Parise with Kane, again I know how much of a long-shot it would be, but it would completely put me at ease. The problem with Parise, though it's a small one, is that he seems to be more of an unbelievably talented hardworking role player... I rarely see him generate or score the way someone like Kane can.. and on nights when Kovy is off, Zach seems almost invisible.. I don't know, I mean, obviously Parise is a better player - the face of the franchise to boot, but Parise/Kane swap wouldn't upset me.

I agree. Many elite players have off nights and still find ways to score with a wicked shot or a tremendous play. Zach rarely scores when he is not on his game.

Edited by Zubie#8, 26 June 2012 - 08:46 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#402 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

The only two ways the Pittsburgh Penguins can be successful: Tanking for #1 and #2 picks in drafts & free agency.

#403 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

I don't think we are going to see a sign and trade here but it could make sense from the Blackhawks perspective if their was some kind of package involved. Say Zach and a 2nd for a 1st rounder + dead weight cap player. Hawks get their guy before having to worry about anyone else, We secure a 1st round pick when we know we need to drop one of ours over the next pair of years and Zach could get a max contract and play with an established team.

Again, I don't think it's likely, I don't think Lou really operates that way but I could see the mechanics and how all parties benefit.

How does Zach benefit from this scenario? And from Chicago's standpoint, they'd necessarily have to be negotiating with Zach before the swap took place. Basically, this sign and trade scenario is a roundabout way of trading for his rights. They would simply cut out the middleman, so to speak, and in the process, have to give up a lot less to do that rather than the sign and trade scenario.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#404 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

This whole Patrick Kane stuff is nonsense. I'll add some more nonsense.

I wish ownership was settled, because it's the only thing standing in between us and #9. But, if ZP and Ryan Suter are friends - why wouldn't/couldn't we get Suter to come here (if the money is right).

#405 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

How does Zach benefit from this scenario? And from Chicago's standpoint, they'd necessarily have to be negotiating with Zach before the swap took place. Basically, this sign and trade scenario is a roundabout way of trading for his rights. They would simply cut out the middleman, so to speak, and in the process, have to give up a lot less to do that rather than the sign and trade scenario.

He goes to a contender that makes cap room for him from a team that otherwise might not have dropped cap space. For arguments sake lets say the Hawks consider Hossa or Hjalmarsson expendable if and only if they were to get Parise. They could wait until July 1st, try to sign Parise and then try to shop whomever to get under cap, but they might end up paying a lot more as other teams drive up the price.

Zach benefits because he is still going to get "roughly the salary he wants" but gets to go to a contending team and not settle for the Wild or Av's. Yes, Zach could do this anyway but maybe the Hawks don't even bother knowing they have more work to do, or maybe the Hawks sign someone else right away and then have no room for Parise.

All of this is based on the precondition that Zach doesn't want to play here for "roughly the salary he wants" for whatever reason, which I don't buy into. Also as you note; this would be more or less equivalent to trading his rights for conditions yes, but I don't think you can send players back on conditional trades.

#406 Microwavepizza

Microwavepizza

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

i've come to grips with this whole situation...

whatever happens, happens, as fans, all we can do is speculate and wait for something to happen.

i know its frustrating (cuz we all want him a Devil for life) but i've just given up on reading into rumors or whatever he said to the media (and all the stupid fans of other teams giving lame reasons why Zach will be a *insert favorite team here*

The Devils will be The Devils
POTATO!!!

#407 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

I wish ownership was settled, because it's the only thing standing in between us and #9. But, if ZP and Ryan Suter are friends - why wouldn't/couldn't we get Suter to come here (if the money is right).

This whole idea that the two are friends and will go somewhere together is overblown. Sure they might, but Zach and Suter have tons of friends playing for other teams who they would enjoy playing with. From the Devils standpoint, one thing at a time.
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#408 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,582 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Because the money won't be right. Even if ownership is settled, the Devils have the Kovalchuk contract which is eating up tons of available money. Ownership being settled doesn't move this into being a cap team unless they get Vanderbeek to sell his share and the new owners hate money as much as Vanderbeek apparently does.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#409 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

If we whiff on Parise, is Suter even a remotely viable option?

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#410 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

If we whiff on Parise, is Suter even a remotely viable option?

No.
Posted Image

#411 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,582 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

i'd like to clear this out, or for anyone else who would want us to go for semin...

let me get this straight... you guys would want Semin... a sniper... super soft and not physical and not going in the corners to play in a team with a system oriented in dump and chase and play the whole shift fighting along the boards and making all their plays on the outside...

doesnt make any sense to me, with our system we need warriors. Soft guys with speed and good hands and no grit are absolutely useless in NJ's system. Semin would pretty much be GUARANTEED to have his worst season ever in NJ

The Devils adapted a dump and chase system out of necessity. Kovalchuk was their main transition offensive player - he's capable of making plays in traffic, of backing off defenders, etc. But when he's hobbled as he was, that option was gone. Teams were also playing solid defense against NJ - there weren't that many chances in transition.

Semin is almost as good as Parise at forcing pucks off players' sticks. He's not going to go into the corners and forecheck that way, but he is definitely excellent at forcing turnovers. I don't see why a player like him couldn't be worked into the system NJ has got here.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#412 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

The Devils adapted a dump and chase system out of necessity. Kovalchuk was their main transition offensive player - he's capable of making plays in traffic, of backing off defenders, etc. But when he's hobbled as he was, that option was gone. Teams were also playing solid defense against NJ - there weren't that many chances in transition.

Semin is almost as good as Parise at forcing pucks off players' sticks. He's not going to go into the corners and forecheck that way, but he is definitely excellent at forcing turnovers. I don't see why a player like him couldn't be worked into the system NJ has got here.

Because as much as I wouldn't mind Semin he wants too much money for the inconsistent play he creates... thats why I don't think the Devils will chase Semin, he wants 6.5 Mil for a 4-4.5 mil player, I'm not sure he's worth the cap hit.

n2eg.jpg

#413 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

No.

Ah, I forgot the whole "Stay in the West" thing.

Also, thanks for your input. Involved and well-thought-out as always, brah :thumbsup:

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#414 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

According to this guy (whoever he is), there's zero chance that Zach is returning.

http://sports.yahoo....00430--nhl.html

With the New Jersey franchise teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, there is no way Parise returns to the Devils, not with the kind of stability and payday that await him in any number of other cities.

And who can blame him? Would you want to make a long-term commitment to an employer whose financial situation is so tenuous when you have dozens of other options available? Of course not.

#415 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

According to this guy (whoever he is), there's zero chance that Zach is returning.

No new info just the usual speculation.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#416 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

Yeah he's just basing this on our finance problem...............something nobody really knows how bad or close to being resolved it is.

#417 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

its pretty well known that Semin is inconsistent and has no heart, i dont want anyone like that in NJ especially when the guy with arguably the bigger heart in the league left and youre trying to replace him.

and they played that way most of the season, thats devils hockey, our guys are facing the boards in the ozone for the whole shift not creating chances in front unless they are coming from behind the net or from a point shot. Guys like Semin, Cammalleri, gaborik wouldnt produce as much as they could in NJ's system, they are all snipers scoring from the inside. Devils are simply not even trying to go down the middle.

www.SterioDesign.com

#418 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

@TGfireandice: Won't talk about that. RT @Nmm90392: @TGfireandice did Lou meet with zach or his agent yet?
Tg just tweeted this. I dont think there really is anything to look into with this. Just seems like Lou's normal "status quo" stance.

#419 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

@TGfireandice: Won't talk about that. RT @Nmm90392: @TGfireandice did Lou meet with zach or his agent yet?
Tg just tweeted this. I dont think there really is anything to look into with this. Just seems like Lou's normal "status quo" stance.

i hope not... but for some reasons when i read that it came out kinda odd to me... i dont know if TG said he wouldnt talk about that or if Lou or Zach wouldnt talk about that?

coming from TG its weird... he's a reporter and he'd most likely report anything he knows and he's usually open and would just say he hasnt heard anything not that he "wouldnt" talk about something...

anyways... thats exactly what we needed... to possibly lose our 2 assistant coaches just so Zach have that extra uncertainty about the team, thank god Deboer is still there.

www.SterioDesign.com

#420 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

TG said he was not going to comment on the Parise stuff daily until there is something to report. He is doing a status quo thing he bitches about every time. I guess I would be sick of replying to a billion qs too if i had nothing to report.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users