2873 replies to this topic

#461 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

I think one way or another Zach decides quickly...he's getting married in like 3 weeks, I'm sure he wants the wedding to go A-OK and have all the contract crap done and behind him.

#462 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

I think one way or another Zach decides quickly...he's getting married in like 3 weeks, I'm sure he wants the wedding to go A-OK and have all the contract crap done and behind him.

He's likely going to set the market. It will be done by Monday one way or another.

#463 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

you'd think that if he is a beat writer for a actual newspaper he wouldn't make sh!t up, who knows

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib

Just spoke with two NHL sources who believe Parise to the Penguins is a very strong possibility.

if Parise did end up with the Penguins I would be extremely disappointed in him.

#464 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

you'd think that if he is a beat writer for a actual newspaper he wouldn't make sh!t up, who knows

if Parise did end up with the Penguins I would be extremely disappointed in him.

I would be heart broken to say the least. Ne one wants to see him go to a division rival.

@DarrenDreger: "Shane Doan wants to stay in Arizona, but ownership instability may force him to test free agency."

If Parise does not resign is Doan is a possibility? He might not want to stay in the West if he leaves PHX.

Edited by NJDevils1214, 26 June 2012 - 09:07 PM.

815631765.gif

#465 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

Don't understand why the Pens would go after Parise when they have a crap defense and a goalie whose performance is inconsistent.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#466 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

Don't understand why the Pens would go after Parise when they have a crap defense and a goalie whose performance is inconsistent.

So they can go "haha look what we got"? :hah:

815631765.gif

#467 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

unless those two NHL sources are Don Meehan and Wade Arnott, I don't really care. Anyone can see that Parise to the Penguins is a distinct possibility if both sides want to make it happen.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#468 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

Does anyone know exactly how those contract discussion goes?

Cause really i just cant imagine how it can possibly take so long....

You give a price... He gives a prices... Lenght... Etc and you do a little tug war with numbers trying to reach an agreement... But i just cant imagine all those conversations taking THAT LONG... Especially since both side must have known everyone's intentions after last season? Id assume that the NTC and everything come at the end once the structure and everything is established... I cant picture a discussion like that taking more than a few hours really?

I just dont get it, does anyone here have a clue?

www.SterioDesign.com

#469 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

You give a price... He gives a prices... Lenght... Etc and you do a little tug war with numbers trying to reach an agreement... But i just cant imagine all those conversations taking THAT LONG... Especially since both side must have known everyone's intentions after last season? Id assume that the NTC and everything come at the end once the structure and everything is established... I cant picture a discussion like that taking more than a few hours really?

It comes down to whether or not they get a year of free Sirius XM and covered oil changes for the first 30,000 miles

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#470 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,051 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

unless those two NHL sources are Don Meehan and Wade Arnott, I don't really care. Anyone can see that Parise to the Penguins is a distinct possibility if both sides want to make it happen.

Even if they were Meehan and Arnott I wouldn't care, cause I'd suspect they were intentionally leaking rumors about the Pens just to get more leverage on Lou.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 26 June 2012 - 10:25 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#471 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

For all we know Parise may still just want to see whats out there.

There are a ton of variables at play right now.

1. The Devils ownership issue (do we have the money?)
2. What $$ Parise wants and what Lou is willing to give
3. Length, distribution, clauses, etc.
4. Does ZP really want to stay?

This is his biggest deceision. This will determine where he will live and play for the majority of his career.

I just hope something happens today even if its not ZP related. Maybe resigning someone.

I would say that if there isn't a deal by end of tomorrow he is defiantly going to hit the market. I think he will anyways.

#472 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

It comes down to whether or not they get a year of free Sirius XM and covered oil changes for the first 30,000 miles

As well as a minature giraffe like the one Kovy got when he signed a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=MATuAugCtbo

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 27 June 2012 - 08:56 AM.

Posted Image

#473 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

For all we know Parise may still just want to see whats out there.

There are a ton of variables at play right now.

1. The Devils ownership issue (do we have the money?)
2. What $$ Parise wants and what Lou is willing to give
3. Length, distribution, clauses, etc.
4. Does ZP really want to stay?

This is his biggest deceision. This will determine where he will live and play for the majority of his career.

I just hope something happens today even if its not ZP related. Maybe resigning someone.

I would say that if there isn't a deal by end of tomorrow he is defiantly going to hit the market. I think he will anyways.

I think the ownership issue is a bit overrated. It's a salary cap league, so if Parise gets more money, someone else gets less. It more or less evens out. The only way that finances become an issue depends on how front-loaded the contract is, and how many fake years there are. The Kovy amendment to the CBA makes the fake years more difficult to work in.

How much he wants to stay is nothing more than speculation. So far as I can tell, there is not a single credible source that has anything to report on the issue, except for his public statements, which would be the same however he felt. The only exception might be his statements regarding the Rangers. He would really look like an ass if he went back on that.

While he could test the market, if he wants to stay for whatever reason, I think he takes a market rate deal prior to July 1, rather than run the risk that he's offered too much money to pass up from a crappy team.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#474 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

I think the ownership issue is a bit overrated. It's a salary cap league, so if Parise gets more money, someone else gets less. It more or less evens out. The only way that finances become an issue depends on how front-loaded the contract is, and how many fake years there are. The Kovy amendment to the CBA makes the fake years more difficult to work in.

How much he wants to stay is nothing more than speculation. So far as I can tell, there is not a single credible source that has anything to report on the issue, except for his public statements, which would be the same however he felt. The only exception might be his statements regarding the Rangers. He would really look like an ass if he went back on that.

While he could test the market, if he wants to stay for whatever reason, I think he takes a market rate deal prior to July 1, rather than run the risk that he's offered too much money to pass up from a crappy team.

I agree with this 100%. Plus, it's not like he was making $1 million this past season, and now they are talking of bumping his salary up to $7-8 million per. If the management of the team (Lou and ownership) feel this is a player worth making a long term commitment to, they will be able to make this deal happen.
Posted Image

#475 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

The ownership issue is THE issue. I think Parise wants to stay. I think he can get a nice contract here - not what he'd get on the open market, and not Kovalchuk money, but nice. But if this is going to turn into a floor team while Vanderbeek continues to pull his Worm-from-Rounders act writ large, it's going to turn into a terrible situation quickly, because this team doesn't have enough young players to make it into a Stanley Cup contender in the near future as a floor-ish team. It'd be Parise and Kovalchuk taking up $18M and the rest of the team would be getting $40 M. Tough to win that way.

The thing is, if Parise does get a fair contract, he can be moved if he wants out. Kovalchuk's contract is just about unmovable even with the season he had.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#476 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

The ownership issue is THE issue. I think Parise wants to stay. I think he can get a nice contract here - not what he'd get on the open market, and not Kovalchuk money, but nice. But if this is going to turn into a floor team while Vanderbeek continues to pull his Worm-from-Rounders act writ large, it's going to turn into a terrible situation quickly, because this team doesn't have enough young players to make it into a Stanley Cup contender in the near future as a floor-ish team. It'd be Parise and Kovalchuk taking up $18M and the rest of the team would be getting $40 M. Tough to win that way.

The thing is, if Parise does get a fair contract, he can be moved if he wants out. Kovalchuk's contract is just about unmovable even with the season he had.

I don't think we'll ever be a floor team, more like a middle-of-the pack to top 3rd. So far as I can tell, the team hasn't had trouble being current on its debt payments, save the advance that it got this year. It's really the balloon payment that's the issue. That's unobtainable whether total salary is $5 million more or $5 million less than what was paid out this year. Plus, I think creditors look at the $30 million in revenue the team brought in during the playoffs, and will realize that you need to spend money to make money. That is unless there's a lot of faith in Lou that he can get similar results with a lot less.

I also think Kovy is more movable than you think, so long as there isn't a huge drop off in his performance in the next three years. He's got a lower cap hit than any major free agent is going to have going forward, and there are enough teams that make enough money to afford it from a financial standpoint.

Or maybe I'm just being delusional.
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#477 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

I don't think we'll ever be a floor team, more like a middle-of-the pack to top 3rd. So far as I can tell, the team hasn't had trouble being current on its debt payments, save the advance that it got this year. It's really the balloon payment that's the issue. That's unobtainable whether total salary is $5 million more or $5 million less than what was paid out this year. Plus, I think creditors look at the $30 million in revenue the team brought in during the playoffs, and will realize that you need to spend money to make money. That is unless there's a lot of faith in Lou that he can get similar results with a lot less.

I also think Kovy is more movable than you think, so long as there isn't a huge drop off in his performance in the next three years. He's got a lower cap hit than any major free agent is going to have going forward, and there are enough teams that make enough money to afford it from a financial standpoint.

Or maybe I'm just being delusional.

I agree on Kovy being moveable if need be. His hands, shot and passing will be that the last to go and he does have a very cap friendly contact

Re Parise- I hope people don't stress if we don't re-sign him. Of course we would be a bit worse off, but I don't think a team with financial issues should massively overpay for a player like Parise who will be a shell of his former self in five years. Let's face it: Parise will never beat you with a shot or a pass. Once his speed goes, he'll essentially become a checking forward. How many of you will be comfortable paying over 7 million for a 3rd liner?

Edited by SMantzas, 27 June 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#478 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

I agree on Kovy being moveable if need be. His hands, shot and passing will be that the last to go and he does have a very cap friendly contact

That said, you only move Kovy as a last resort. He's an awesome player and has gotten a lot better since the trade. All things being equal, I think he has at least five or six more years playing at an elite (yes I consider him elite) or very high level.

And for me, it's almost a wash between Kovy and Parise.
Posted Image

#479 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

That said, you only move Kovy as a last resort. He's an awesome player and has gotten a lot better since the trade. All things being equal, I think he has at least five or six more years playing at an elite (yes I consider him elite) or very high level.

And for me, it's almost a wash between Kovy and Parise.

I know ZP is better defensively, but he just isn't a game breaker. How the **** do you get out scored by a gimpy Kovalchuk? I feel dirty typing these things about Parise, but let's call a spade a spade. Parise will never take over a playoff

#480 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

I know ZP is better defensively, but he just isn't a game breaker. How the **** do you get out scored by a gimpy Kovalchuk? I feel dirty typing these things about Parise, but let's call a spade a spade. Parise will never take over a playoff

Big shutdown defensemen like Pronger and Chara neutralize Zach in the corners pretty easily. Thankfully, there are not many of them but the images of Pronger making Parise his little b**** in the 2010 playoffs is still fresh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users