2873 replies to this topic

#481 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

I know ZP is better defensively, but he just isn't a game breaker. How the **** do you get out scored by a gimpy Kovalchuk? I feel dirty typing these things about Parise, but let's call a spade a spade. Parise will never take over a playoff

I agree with this. If Zach leaves its a huge blow and theres no way to sugarcoat it, but if Zach gets 8-9 million from someone else, I think Kovalchuk is a better player at his price. He fits here like a glove now and was our best player this past year. If Kovy was healthy during the playoffs, we may have the Cup right now and he could've been THE reason and moreso than Zach or even Marty.

That being said, I'm reading speculation about trading Kovalchuk to fit Zach. This would anger me more than not re-signing Zach. I cannot see us going through all of what we did to bring Ilya in and then trading him. I can absolutely see him traded in the future, but just to fit Parise? No. If Zach wants to be "the man" so badly, he's surely not going to get that in sh!tsburgh. BTW, this http://www.hockeybuz...Moved/125/45238 is Єklund (2.3% accurate)'s "source" for the Kovy baloney. A Kings blogger who posted an opinion piece now its got "sources" and can happen now lol.

fvck, I hate Єklund (2.3% accurate). He doesnt mention this once and then some blogger mentions it as pure speculation for the future and now it has "sources" and is a "possibility" now. I admit I fell for his schtick when he first started, but I just don't see how anyone could give him a dime for his charade at this point.

Edited by ghdi, 27 June 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#482 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

I do not like comparing Parise to Kovalchuk because they bring two different styles to the team...which we need! Kovalchuk cannot carry the team, niether can Zach (maybe they can). This team is so potent and so dangeours when we have these two elite players on the ice every night. They bring so many different dynamics. Parise and Kovalchuk make the perfect offense. If Kovys playmaking abilitlies or shooting dominance cant get it done you have Parise who will never stop grinding until he jams one into the back of the net. Devils NEED these two players in order to have success.

Edited by Zubie#8, 27 June 2012 - 01:10 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#483 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

To add some more tea leaves to read, got a tweet from the official Devils twitter with a quote from Parise that "we want to try to get things worked out with New Jersey." Nothing new, but interesting that the team itself is publicizing it.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#484 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

I totally agree with ZP basically being a 3rd line grinder 5-6 years from now. He simply doesn't have the same skillset and talent as someone like Kovy (or Nash) to carry him once age sets in. I hope we sign him to a 5-7 year deal at 7M a year.
Posted Image

#485 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

I totally agree with ZP basically being a 3rd line grinder 5-6 years from now. He simply doesn't have the same skillset and talent as someone like Kovy (or Nash) to carry him once age sets in. I hope we sign him to a 5-7 year deal at 7M a year.

It is conceivable that he could live off of his "hockey sense" and still get by as a top 6 player, but otherwise I agree.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#486 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

From http://triblive.com/...-agency-believe

Armed with salary cap space — and a captain they believe can serve as hockey’s finest pitchman — the Penguins aim to go nuclear when NHL free agency opens July 1. Their plan is to pursue the two top players on the market, Nashville defenseman Ryan Suter and New Jersey winger Zach Parise, sources told the Tribune-Review this weekend at the NHL Entry Draft. Team sources said Crosby soon will sign a new contract in the range of 10 to 13 years with an average annual salary of between $9 million and $10 million and will try to recruit Parise, his longtime friend, and Suter.

The Penguins do not believe New Jersey would deal Parise’s rights to a division rival, but they are banking on a couple of selling points when he hits the market. Fresh off a run to the Stanley Cup Final with the Devils, for whom he served as captain, Parise prefers to play for a title contender, the Penguins believe. The Penguins are favored to win the Cup by Las Vegas bookmakers. Also, Parise and Crosby are good friends and share ties to a Minnesota prep school, Shattuck-St. Mary’s. Crosby is already in the ear of Parise about the possibility of playing together. Though confident they can land Parise in free agency, the Penguins believe he will receive a heavily front-loaded offer from at least one club, most likely the Minnesota Wild.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#487 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Peter DeBoer just said on NHL Live that he's "optimistic we can get something done" with Zach Parise.

#488 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

Tom Gulitti just tweets, Peter DeBoer just said on NHL Live that he's "optimistic we can get something done" with Zach Parise.
And as far as Crosby luring him Travis Zajak is his best freind they played in ND together he loves it here. The only reason we don't sign Zach is going to be because of the debt the Devils are in plain and simple.

Sorry Moustic typing on a phone!, lol

Edited by Devs1965, 27 June 2012 - 04:53 PM.

#489 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Peter DeBoer just said on NHL Live that he's "optimistic we can get something done" with Zach Parise.

Hope its true, but I wonder how much insider info DeBoer really has.

#490 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:34 PM

A whole hell of a lot more than we do, that's for sure.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#491 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

He could have zero insider info and still be "optimistic." That statement means nothing.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#492 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

I think DeBoer is really referring to the fact that he's hopeful and believes in his mind that something will get done.

Highly unlikely he knows anything or has any inside info at this point to lead to that conclusion, he's just making a personal statement.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#493 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

He could have zero insider info and still be "optimistic." That statement means nothing.

That's a bit untrue. He doesn't just have insider info, he's also part of the Devils organization, where every word is picked very carefully, especially around a sensitive subject like this. What I take from his statement is that signing Parise looks within reach. But maybe that's just me.

#494 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

Dreger tweeted that "its a good possibility" that the Caps trade Semin's rights.

If we lose Zach, Id say count Semin out. I personally didn't think that was a good chance anyway, but yeah.

Gotta hand it to the Caps if they do so. They got something out of Wideman (no matter how paltry) and may get something out of Semin too.

Posted this in the wrong thread, but I guess it kinda fits here lol

Edited by ghdi, 27 June 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#495 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

Was it real Dreger or the evil one that said Parise signed a 8 year extension

n2eg.jpg

#496 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

Was it real Dreger or the evil one that said Parise signed a 8 year extension

The real one

https://twitter.com/...104855238156288

#497 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,144 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

So you'd pay a guy who's only 5 years away from being a "3rd line grinder" 7m?

I just think the first part that post isn't very logical. I think people undervalue Parise just as much as others overvalue him. He isn't the be-all-end-all for the future of the franchise, but 5 years away from being a 3rd liner is a bit drastic.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#498 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,922 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

People way, way undervalue Zach Parise around here. Dude was a monster playdriver carrying around Kovalchuk's corpse for most of the playoffs.

The idea that Kovalchuk's skills won't go away has SOME merit to it, but look at the history of goal scorers - it's not a pretty history. Kovalchuk has back problems also, that's not exactly saying 'perfect future'. Yes, there are players like Selanne and Hull who've maintained their scoring. There are also plenty of players whose careers were over by 32.

And again - what has changed about Kovalchuk that would make him tradeable? I guess the salary cap, but no one was willing to sign him to that deal in 2010. Has really that much changed?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#499 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

People way, way undervalue Zach Parise around here. Dude was a monster playdriver carrying around Kovalchuk's corpse for most of the playoffs.

The idea that Kovalchuk's skills won't go away has SOME merit to it, but look at the history of goal scorers - it's not a pretty history. Kovalchuk has back problems also, that's not exactly saying 'perfect future'. Yes, there are players like Selanne and Hull who've maintained their scoring. There are also plenty of players whose careers were over by 32.

And again - what has changed about Kovalchuk that would make him tradeable? I guess the salary cap, but no one was willing to sign him to that deal in 2010. Has really that much changed?

Kind of. While he's not gonna win a selke anytime soon, his two way play his wayyyyyy better. He's also one of the top penalty killers in the league which no one knew about

#500 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

Brace yourself...

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey

From talking today w/ Zach Parise, I would not b at all surprised if he stays in New Jersey. Lamoriello & Parise camp trying 2 make it work.

Its from yesterday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users