2873 replies to this topic

#661 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

Parenteau is definitely someone to look at signing tomorrow if Parise is gone. Don't know what he might be looking for but he's due for a good raise over his $1.25 million last year. Probably could go 4-5 million, cheaper than Zach at least. I don't know who the Devils replace Marty with. Hedberg as a starter is a little scary. This could speed things along with the team figuring out its goalie situation going into the future which I keep feeling Lou is putting off. I'd rather Marty 1 more year to allow the younger guys to develop.

What worries me is Zach's unquestionably going to take several hours at least, especially if he's inviting teams to come up to Toronto. During that time all the secondary options will go off the board probably. So we get put in a position where we're waiting around for Zach and if he doesn't come back, hello Tedenby in the top six :rant:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#662 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

How much do you think Parenteau will sign for? I'd be all for going after him but I have a feeling he'll want something around 5.

#663 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

What worries me is Zach's unquestionably going to take several hours at least, especially if he's inviting teams to come up to Toronto. During that time all the secondary options will go off the board probably. So we get put in a position where we're waiting around for Zach and if he doesn't come back, hello Tedenby in the top six :rant:

I usually think the main guys go before the secondary guys. The secondary guys want all the teams that missed out on the big prizes to get in a bidding war to win the secondary prize, rather than leave with nothing.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#664 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,010 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

How much do you think Parenteau will sign for? I'd be all for going after him but I have a feeling he'll want something around 5.

A similar player in age and career path in Ville Leino got a 6-year $27 million deal. That was coming off 19-34-53. I can see Parenteau coming off 18-49-67 getting a bit more. Maybe 6 years and $33 million?

Edit: By similar career path, I just mean they were NHLers for a few short seasons before free agency.

Edited by devilsrule33, 30 June 2012 - 01:09 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#665 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,576 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

A similar player in age and career path in Ville Leino got a 6-year $27 million deal. That was coming off 19-34-53. I can see Parenteau coming off 18-49-67 getting a bit more. Maybe 6 years and $33 million?

Leino's deal had to have blown everyone else out of the water, plus he had a huge playoff and teams think that's valuable. Also the Sabres were under the delusion that Leino could play center. I think Parenteau gets something like 4-20 to 5-30.

Edited by Triumph, 30 June 2012 - 01:09 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#666 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

Although it appears that Parise won’t re-sign with the Devils before he hits the open market, he could still go back to them after listening to what other teams have to say.

Parise was reportedly scheduled to meet with Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello today before hitting the UFA market. He has spent the last two weeks at his home in Minnesota.

http://blogs.northje..._agents_office/

#667 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

The Devils tying up that kind of money in Parenteau is bad news. I'd rather Lou sit back and not do anything tomorrow in the doomsday case than spend stupidly like he did in the wake of the Niedermayer situation. I'd rather make trades instead trying to solve problem through free agency.

#668 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

If Parise leaves, while it won't be devastating to the franchise, this team needs to find a band-aid to satisfy a (finally) growing fan-base.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#669 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

If Parise leaves, while it won't be devastating to the franchise, this team needs to find a band-aid to satisfy a (finally) growing fan-base.

Band-aids (like Parenteau)do not a good team make. If we lose Parise, don't waste good money on average players. I'd say the one must is to make sure that Merrill does not become Schultz. If they reach their potential, a top pairing of Merrill and Larsson almost automatically makes you a perennial contender.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#670 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,576 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

Band-aids (like Parenteau)do not a good team make. If we lose Parise, don't waste good money on average players. I'd say the one must is to make sure that Merrill does not become Schultz. If they reach their potential, a top pairing of Merrill and Larsson almost automatically makes you a perennial contender.

I'm not worried about that. Merrill has said he's attending the Devils prospect camp. As far as I can tell, Justin Schultz did not attend camp in 2010 or 2011.

#671 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

Merrill should be signed after the camp and perhaps even make the big club this year. If not, it's time for maturing in Albany.

#672 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

TGfireandice: Parise's agent, Wade Arnott, said plan for Parise to spend Sunday at his office , "doesn't mean right now" he's definitely going UFA.

Arnott on Parise: "He’ll get in later tonight and we’ll walk through this one more time and see where things stand but he’s always said he’s going to include the Devils whether it’s before we start tomorrow or after.”

www.SterioDesign.com

#673 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

Pens are offering 10 years 80 million don't even think about giving him that much Lou. Devils can go after Latendresse offer him a 1 year deal and hope he is healthy.

#674 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

Just do what the Caps did and market the hell out of their own Russian superstar. One who is already a left-winger.

Edited by Marv4Life, 30 June 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#675 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

Merrill should be signed after the camp and perhaps even make the big club this year. If not, it's time for maturing in Albany.

The Devils don't have that much of a say in it.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#676 Cirkus

Cirkus

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

I usually think the main guys go before the secondary guys. The secondary guys want all the teams that missed out on the big prizes to get in a bidding war to win the secondary prize, rather than leave with nothing.

Yea, I get the feeling really most of the NHL is waiting on Parise and Suter before things start going nuts with signings and trades. I think though some teams won't want to wait or aren't really in the running for big names and the longer Parise takes to make a decision players are gonna get plucked off the UFA market and we could very well get left with much less to work with. I'm thinking noon Monday we'll know what Zach is doing. I just hope thats not too late to go get a secondary guy. And then who knows what Marty is thinking and how long he anticipates waiting.

#677 Anhkheg

Anhkheg

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

I hope Lou simply wishes Zach the best of luck and lets him go. Based on everything I am hearing, Parise is acting like a Diva and there is no place for this on the Devils roster. Kovy was highly valued, but never left his home, took his time and made the decision by boiling it down to two teams. If Zach had used a similar approach, I would've said fine, but I feel he has shown his true colors and his heavily influenced by his agents instead of being himself and making his own decisions.

#678 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

for some reasons i really don't like those quotes... sounds like they are talking but nothing deep in term of contract, could be wrong tho

Parise said earlier this week that the sides were talking. Arnott would not discuss specifics of their discussions.

“Let’s just say there’s always ongoing dialogue with Lou,” Arnott said.

Parise was reportedly scheduled to meet with Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello today before flying up to Ontario. Arnott would not comment on that, calling it “private.”

www.SterioDesign.com

#679 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,068 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

I hope Lou simply wishes Zach the best of luck and lets him go. Based on everything I am hearing, Parise is acting like a Diva and there is no place for this on the Devils roster. Kovy was highly valued, but never left his home, took his time and made the decision by boiling it down to two teams. If Zach had used a similar approach, I would've said fine, but I feel he has shown his true colors and his heavily influenced by his agents instead of being himself and making his own decisions.

Yeah, I get the feeling these a$$holes are leading him around by his nose. It happens to a lot of pro athletes, but I honestly thought Zach wouldn't be the type to allow that to happen. I'm starting to think I was wrong about that. Be your own fvcking man.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#680 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,576 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

for some reasons i really don't like those quotes... sounds like they are talking but nothing deep in term of contract, could be wrong tho

Do you have any familiarity at all with how negotiations proceed with Lou Lamoriello?

Remember when 2 summers ago and there was all that talk from Grossman about the discussions he was having with New Jersey? I don't either.

Doesn't take long to hammer out a deal when both sides want to make one. We've seen that this week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users