2873 replies to this topic

#681 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

My heart wants Zach back but my brain does not want him over 7.5 million. So either way I will be fine. :evil:

I am actually more interested in the Brodeur saga. :e-drama:

Edited by Zubie#8, 30 June 2012 - 04:23 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#682 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,921 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

Do you have any familiarity at all with how negotiations proceed with Lou Lamoriello?

Remember when 2 summers ago and there was all that talk from Grossman about the discussions he was having with New Jersey? I don't either.

Doesn't take long to hammer out a deal when both sides want to make one. We've seen that this week.

what i mean is more like i feel the ownership situation is really THERE in those talks and that its a main concern either from a budget point of view and in Zach's view of the organization. I don't think that numbers havent been thrown around but im starting to wonder if an actual contract has been offered at all so far.

www.SterioDesign.com

#683 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

what i mean is more like i feel the ownership situation is really THERE in those talks and that its a main concern either from a budget point of view and in Zach's view of the organization. I don't think that numbers havent been thrown around but im starting to wonder if an actual contract has been offered at all so far.

You have absolutely no idea whether or not that's happened. Nothing in those quotes indicates anything besides the fact that the two sides have talked - a contract could have been offered, or maybe it wasn't offered. We have no clue.

Again, tell me when Grossman told the media that the Devils had offered a contract to Kovalchuk, or commented on negotiations with them.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#684 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

If the Pens offer is legitimate, I don't see him staying here. I don't want us paying that anyway.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#685 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

Do you have any familiarity at all with how negotiations proceed with Lou Lamoriello?

Remember when 2 summers ago and there was all that talk from Grossman about the discussions he was having with New Jersey? I don't either.

Doesn't take long to hammer out a deal when both sides want to make one. We've seen that this week.

Speaking of... I just saw the salaries on tsn. I don't understand why Gionta would sign that contract. He could of got at least what the other two got... Unless tsn's numbers are wrong.

#686 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,921 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

You have absolutely no idea whether or not that's happened. Nothing in those quotes indicates anything besides the fact that the two sides have talked - a contract could have been offered, or maybe it wasn't offered. We have no clue.

Again, tell me when Grossman told the media that the Devils had offered a contract to Kovalchuk, or commented on negotiations with them.

dude, i know that... i just said that "for some reasons" i didnt like those quotes and had a bad feeling or wtv... take it easy on me bro it was a personal opinion/feeling thats it nothing else, i feel you're still probably irritated about our argumentation about "Lou's way" the other day but it's over now. Hug ?

www.SterioDesign.com

#687 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,921 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

Speaking of... I just saw the salaries on tsn. I don't understand why Gionta would sign that contract. He could of got at least what the other two got... Unless tsn's numbers are wrong.

the other 2 we're NHL players, Gionta a minor leaguer who got hot at the right time. Great great great playoffs but still a very limited sample to sign a contract

www.SterioDesign.com

#688 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

the other 2 we're NHL players, Gionta a minor leaguer who got hot at the right time. Great great great playoffs but still a very limited sample to sign a contract

I understand that but he could definitely go more somewhere else. Someone would have double that for sure.

#689 Cirkus

Cirkus

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

So how does this work anyway with what Zach is doing tomorrow? He sits in his agent's office and GM's come in one by one with offers? Or do they make phone calls? It sounds pretty stupid. I remember when I read about Richards doing this last year thinking "for Richards? really?" and now its Zach. I'm picturing a line of GM's sitting in a waiting room and then the Penguins show up with Mario, Sid, Malkin, loads of cash and some good pastries to smooth it over.

#690 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

So how does this work anyway with what Zach is doing tomorrow? He sits in his agent's office and GM's come in one by one with offers? Or do they make phone calls? It sounds pretty stupid. I remember when I read about Richards doing this last year thinking "for Richards? really?" and now its Zach. I'm picturing a line of GM's sitting in a waiting room and then the Penguins show up with Mario, Sid, Malkin, loads of cash and some good pastries to smooth it over.

Phone calls. I doubt these GMs are going to be coming to him.

I think the Wild rumors are more believable than the Pens. I dont see Shero going 10 years/80 on Zach with Malkin and Crosby already having mammoth contracts.

#691 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

Yeah, its fvcking stupid. But that's how Newport does business with their big clients I guess.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#692 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,921 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

I understand that but he could definitely go more somewhere else. Someone would have double that for sure.

he was captain of the AHL team and had a magical run in NJ. Sometimes its not always about money, he seems like a loyal guy and we can only like him even more now.

www.SterioDesign.com

#693 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

Who? Gionta has been available on waivers multiple times. He's been an unrestricted free agent multiple times. He's played 20 decent NHL games and now he's going to make $1M a year? NHL GMs overvalue small samples, but his minor league numbers are totally unimpressive.

It would be real easy for Gionta to sign somewhere else, have a bad training camp, and be buried and never get a shot at the NHL again. It makes sense for him to sign here.

#694 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Who? Gionta has been available on waivers multiple times. He's been an unrestricted free agent multiple times. He's played 20 decent NHL games and now he's going to make $1M a year? NHL GMs overvalue small samples, but his minor league numbers are totally unimpressive.

It would be real easy for Gionta to sign somewhere else, have a bad training camp, and be buried and never get a shot at the NHL again. It makes sense for him to sign here.

Why would he care if he had a bad camp after getting paid? He's been riding buses for the last 5 years anyway. It's better to be riding buses a millionaire.

#695 Cirkus

Cirkus

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

Phone calls. I doubt these GMs are going to be coming to him.

I think the Wild rumors are more believable than the Pens. I dont see Shero going 10 years/80 on Zach with Malkin and Crosby already having mammoth contracts.

Ah ok, that makes more sense. Yea, I don't know about the Pens, I mean they'd be tying up about $25 million in cap space and who knows what in actual $ every year for the foreseeable future for 3 forwards. Not the best plan long term. I'd be shocked if Zach went to Minnesota. Obviously if he does its mostly about money. Yes its close to home but the Wild have very little prospect of being any good for a while and they'll likely throw the most ridiculous contract at him tomorrow.

#696 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

Why would he care if he had a bad camp after getting paid? He's been riding buses for the last 5 years anyway. It's better to be riding buses a millionaire.

Believe it or not, there are some people out there that don't let money rule their world.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#697 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

I doubt very, very much that someone like Stephen Gionta could've made the NHL if this sort of thought ever crossed his mind.

And again, you assume that he would get paid, which is not something that I would assume. His pro resume is totally unimpressive.

#698 Troy from NJ

Troy from NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

I think it should be like Napoleon Dynamite. After presenting their offers, each team has to put on a little skit. I can just see Crosby and Malkin doing a "Who's on First" bit with Zach whispering "what did he say?" after every word spoken by Malkin.

Sheet I'm bored.
"What's the difference between a catfish and Rangers Fan?
One is a low life bottom feeder that lives on the feces of others. The other is a fish"

Official Keeper of THE BUD LIGHT GOAL BAR
Posted Image

#699 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

Believe it or not, there are some people out there that don't let money rule their world.

I don't think that was why he signed. If it wasn't about money his brother would still be here. I realize Stephen just wanted to keep living the life and that's why he agreed to this contract but he definitely could have got more by waiting to July 1.

#700 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,448 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

If the Pens offer is legitimate, I don't see him staying here. I don't want us paying that anyway.

That's presuming we have to match it. I don't think we do, just come close enough where it doesn't matter (and hope no real contender outdoes the 10-80)...a 10-75 which I feared it might take, and pretty much as far as I'd go anyway.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users