2873 replies to this topic

#1161 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,417 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

The ownership situation is crucial here IMO. Never trust a former vp of Lehman bros.

Such a bad timing... Im absolutely sure that without that trouble they could have locked him up for way cheaper than wtv hes gonna get anywhere (unless his agent would REALLY be pulling the strings hard to reach UFA)

But wtv... Long term i would have picked kovy eventhough zach is my fav... Kovy outscored him during the season and in the playoffs while playing at like 60%, this run was somehow encouraging showing us what we could get from a slowed down kovy in his late 30s...

www.SterioDesign.com

#1162 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,326 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:16 AM

I'm starting to get the feeling that if Parise wanted to come back to the Devils he would have re-signed by now.

I think it's the opposite. Parise can shop around and take the offers back to the bargaining table w/ Lou.
Posted Image

#1163 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:54 AM

Not that I have been following much today but this reminds me of LeBron stringing around Cleveland when he full well knew he was going to Miami. "They were in it to the end" or some bs like that. Even if the Devils are out, it's good damage control from the Parise camp to say the Devils are still in the mix.

If the bidding has gotten this ridiculous...forget about it.

Parise is a good Player and I want him on the team but he is not a franchise player that is worth as much as some moronic gm/ team will give him.
Sorry but I tend to think like billy beane on this stuff and what Parise gives you is only worth it at a good price and we all know that some team will overpay. Player contracts are bloated because of moron gms.

#1164 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:40 AM

The money that is thrown is ridiculous. Zach is good, at times he is great, but not worth the sums we're hearing. July 1st living up to its reputation indeed.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#1165 Joonas #6

Joonas #6

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:05 AM

I STILL believe he's going to sign with the Devils.

I fvcking hate animated avatars and signatures.

#1166 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

Sounds like he is gone to either the Wild or Pens.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#1167 Jmorc2003

Jmorc2003

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

A lot also depends on who else is available in that particular year. Teams will want to throw money around to get better on paper, and Parise is the cream of the crop this summer. Good for Zach's bank account, bad for the Devils.

Question, do the other teams know what the other offers are and how much? Are they not allowed?

However I don't think the fact that he hasn't signed yet is a bad sign for the devils. I don't think Lou isn't one to promise the ranch right off the bat and I'm sure everyone around him is telling him to hear out the other teams' offers even if he fully intends to stay with nj.

Edited by Jmorc2003, 02 July 2012 - 08:23 AM.

#1168 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Hey if we heard that the Hawks offered Brodeur 12M over two years, we would have said he's a goner, but there is team loyalty that Parise saw from Brodeur and his signing will definitely impact Zach.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#1169 mikepeluso8

mikepeluso8

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

Hey if we heard that the Hawks offered Brodeur 12M over two years, we would have said he's a goner, but there is team loyalty that Parise saw from Brodeur and his signing will definitely impact Zach.

I wish the whole world works the way you just described...

EVERYONE WANTS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ME YOU MARTY ZACH EVERYONE

I don't like the way this is panning out...we are all going to be VERY disappointed by the end of today. I can feel it.
DIE HARD DEVILS FAN SINCE '90

#1170 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

I think you are really reading or buying into the whole team loyalty concept a little too much.

I just hope Parise maybe feels like this is the team for him and he has the best chance at a cup on this team. Perhaps the extra bonus of being the captain and not having to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle on the other teams add an extra incentive.

#1171 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,086 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

Nobody is going to give a 4+ million loyalty discount. If these offers are true and he still signs here for less I will be the first in line for an authentic sweat stained Parise jersey.

#1172 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

The money that is thrown is ridiculous. Zach is good, at times he is great, but not worth the sums we're hearing. July 1st living up to its reputation indeed.

See also Gomez, Scott...Holik, Bobby...Rafalski, Brian...new year, new player, same old story. And the Devils "overpaid" Elias in his last contract in order to keep him on this side of the Hudson, if the whisperings were at all legitimate...his deal just has worked out better than most imagined.

It would be interesting to see how the NHL would change if the free agency process was like that of the NBA...get a week to field offers, then start signing. Maybe it would lessen some of the crazy contracts tossed about in the early frenzy.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#1173 Beck27

Beck27

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

I think you are really reading or buying into the whole team loyalty concept a little too much.

I just hope Parise maybe feels like this is the team for him and he has the best chance at a cup on this team. Perhaps the extra bonus of being the captain and not having to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle on the other teams add an extra incentive.

I kind of feel like the only hope the Devils have at this point is if it's a lifestyle choice. The Devils have arguably one of the most attractive travel schedules of any NHL team, and his soon to be wife is from NJ (at least that's what everyone always says). Maybe those two factors weigh more heavily than anyone thinks? Not likely when we're talking about the sums of money that are being thrown his way...but you never know what's going on in a person's head.

#1174 mikepeluso8

mikepeluso8

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

I kind of feel like the only hope the Devils have at this point is if it's a lifestyle choice. The Devils have arguably one of the most attractive travel schedules of any NHL team, and his soon to be wife is from NJ (at least that's what everyone always says). Maybe those two factors weigh more heavily than anyone thinks? Not likely when we're talking about the sums of money that are being thrown his way...but you never know what's going on in a person's head.

His soon to be wife is from NJ?

That's news to me.

#1175 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

FWIW, a lot of people also say, even on this board, that she is a teacher. Every source I read says she is a nutritionist. Also from what I read she is not in fact from NJ and that they met in college.

#1176 mikepeluso8

mikepeluso8

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

Zach, 27, who played at Shattuck-St. Mary's in Faribault and has purchased a home on Lake Minnetonka, can become an unrestricted free agent at season's end. He and University of North Dakota college sweetheart Alisha Woods will be married this summer.

#1177 Beck27

Beck27

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

FWIW, a lot of people also say, even on this board, that she is a teacher. Every source I read says she is a nutritionist. Also from what I read she is not in fact from NJ and that they met in college.

Yea, I'm just going off this board's hearsay. If you're correct, then we're screwed.

#1178 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Zach, 27, who played at Shattuck-St. Mary's in Faribault and has purchased a home on Lake Minnetonka, can become an unrestricted free agent at season's end. He and University of North Dakota college sweetheart Alisha Woods will be married this summer.

This is correct. A lot of posters here make a lot of assumptions or get bad rumors.

Yea, I'm just going off this board's hearsay. If you're correct, then we're screwed.

As Mikepeluso just posted, we're screwed.

#1179 Brick Pig

Brick Pig

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

EVERYONE WANTS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ME YOU MARTY ZACH EVERYONE

This is very true. There is no player in the league that I enjoy watching more than Zach, and I will be truly sad if he signs anywhere else. But still, I don’t really see how anybody leaves something like $20 mil laying on the table. If it was a couple million over the life of the contract then I think other considerations would be a bigger factor, but if the numbers we’re hearing are real, then I expect him to go and I can’t truly blame him. Twenty million is a sh!tload of money, even if you already have sh!tload of money to start with.

That said, if these numbers are the market price for him then I’m fine with letting him walk. Although I love having Kovy on the team, I think his deal is ridiculous, and we don’t need a second ridiculous deal to go with it. I love what Zach brings to this team, but it’s not worth the numbers we’ve seen tossed around.

On the other hand, if he does turn down all that money to stay here, then in my mind he will be the greatest Devil ever.

#1180 mikepeluso8

mikepeluso8

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

This is very true. There is no player in the league that I enjoy watching more than Zach, and I will be truly sad if he signs anywhere else. But still, I don’t really see how anybody leaves something like $20 mil laying on the table. If it was a couple million over the life of the contract then I think other considerations would be a bigger factor, but if the numbers we’re hearing are real, then I expect him to go and I can’t truly blame him. Twenty million is a sh!tload of money, even if you already have sh!tload of money to start with.

That said, if these numbers are the market price for him then I’m fine with letting him walk. Although I love having Kovy on the team, I think his deal is ridiculous, and we don’t need a second ridiculous deal to go with it. I love what Zach brings to this team, but it’s not worth the numbers we’ve seen tossed around.

On the other hand, if he does turn down all that money to stay here, then in my mind he will be the greatest Devil ever.

Exactly. Turning down $20 million dollars??? What are you nuts?

That is insane.

He and his entire family will be set for the rest of their lives.

There is no I in TEAM, but there are a sh!t load of zeroes that Zach just isn't going to turn down....and neither would any of us here. We just like to think we would because we bleed Black and Red, but this is Zach's JOB, Zach's WELLBEING, Zach's CAREER...if anyone offered you $20 million dollars today to leave your current job and do the same thing for another company, you would be RUNNING OUT THE DOOR...SPRINTING.

This is over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users