#81 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

No, this is all true.

4 goalies who played last year in the NHL were drafted in the same round in the same NHL draft. Of course, that was the 9th round of the 1994 draft: Tim Thomas, Evgeni Nabokov, Johan Hedberg, and Tim Thomas.

One of these isn't the real Tim Thomas.

#82 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

Doh. The 4th one is Tomas Vokoun, aka the Czech Tim Thomas.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#83 Kovys Puck

Kovys Puck

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

Not to mention the low draft positions of Quick, Holtby, Lunqvist, Rinne, Mike Smith, and that's just off the top of my head.

Hopefully we can be as lucky as those franchises in the later rounds. What are the expectations of Wedgewood? Does he have a legit shot making the team this year? Man I already can't wait for the season again :)!

#84 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

Don't recall if this was posted on here yet but tsn is reporting on it now too per the bergen record

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398296

#85 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

Is Subban or Vasilevski are available NJ should take one.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#86 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

Posted Image
Your nawt Tim Tawmas. This is Tim Tawmas.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#87 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

Haha yes! I'm glad someone got the reference.

#88 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,651 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

Hopefully we can be as lucky as those franchises in the later rounds. What are the expectations of Wedgewood? Does he have a legit shot making the team this year? Man I already can't wait for the season again :)!

They won't throw a 19 year old into the NHL. Wedgewood is going to have to do his time in the ECHL or AHL first. My guess is they will start him in the ECHL to see how he does since they already have Frazee and Kinkaid at the AHL level. I don't think the Devils want to bring up Kinkaid yet, either.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#89 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

Is Subban or Vasilevski are available NJ should take one.

I assume you've been hit on the head recently.

#90 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

i think lou was hit on the head
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#91 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

I assume you've been hit on the head recently.

Nope, towards the end of the 1st round you have mostly 3rd liners. These two goaltenders are two of the better in the last group of years. This pick should be used on a goaltender whether it is drafting or trading for one. Our offensive and defensive core are set for a foreseeable future.

#92 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

I actually like Vasilevski from what little I have seen of him. I'm not sure on Subban. He may be the more athletic of the two, but a lot of reports say he's incredibly raw and will likely require quite a bit of time and work. I think if his last name was Walters or something, he'd probably not be as high.

Either way, if we decided to keep this pick, I think it's a pretty good indication Lou and Conte are targeting somebody in particular or a couple of players they want at the very least.

I don't want Bernier from the Kings as I don't like goalies that are under six feet. Schnieder is a pipe-dream as Vancouver seems to be deciding on using him going forward and any trade price would be too ridiculous and costly. Only team that has a goalie or prospect that I can think of potentially for trade is Ottawa.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#93 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

I'm finished doubting Lou for this year I think ;)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#94 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

Nope, towards the end of the 1st round you have mostly 3rd liners. These two goaltenders are two of the better in the last group of years. This pick should be used on a goaltender whether it is drafting or trading for one. Our offensive and defensive core are set for a foreseeable future.

Yes, Subban had a .930 SV% in the OHL, but he played 37 games. If he goes back to .910 next year, that pick sure looks awful foolish, doesn't it?

I just hate the idea of a goalie in the 1st round, categorically. It's just too likely that the player is of absolutely no use.

#95 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

I'm finished doubting Lou for this year I think ;)

Pretty much this, yeah.

This decision has me shaking my head, but if I've learned one thing..it's to trust in Lou :koolaid:

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#96 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

Yes, Subban had a .930 SV% in the OHL, but he played 37 games. If he goes back to .910 next year, that pick sure looks awful foolish, doesn't it?

I just hate the idea of a goalie in the 1st round, categorically. It's just too likely that the player is of absolutely no use.

Just as HS kids in the 1st round statistically makes no sense in MLB, sometimes you need to take a risky pick to compete. If NJ took the safe route in 1990 and took Smolinski how much different do they look...you can't count on an even flukier 7th round pick to get a star goaltender cost controlled.

How much risk is there when comparing it to a potential 3rd liner. It's nearly a 2nd round pick in a weak draft...jeeze it isn't a top 10 pick.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 13 June 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#97 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

Keeping the pick may actually be a "posturing" move by Lamoriello. By giving up the pick, its like showing your hand in poker. Maybe Lamoriello wants to see what's out there at this year's draft, and on top of that, use it as a negotiation tool with Parise.

Tough to convince your best forward to stay when you gave up your 1st round draft pick without even seeing what's out there.

Ummm... what? The draft is in a couple weeks. All the GMs and scouting departments should already "know what's out there". And it's not like they can get to the draft, sit through the first round, decide they don't like anyone left, and forfeit the pick on the spot.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#98 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

My hunch is Lou has an idea that he wants to move a player and he's using the pick as part of a deal.
It's a high pick, but it's still a first rounder.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#99 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

I have to think that Lou's got some master plan here. Either he's got his eye on someone that he thinks will still be available at #29 or he has a trade up his sleeve. Either way, it seems he feels he can get enough value from this pick to justify possibly losing a higher pick later on.

You know, I just had a thought... maybe the language of the forfeiture order allows him to retroactively turn in a pick? Like, he can decide next year that he really wanted to give up this year's pick and he's willing to lose the rights to the player in the process? Then again, it wouldn't be wise to try and pull the wool over the league's eyes given the nature of the situation.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#100 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

My hunch is Lou has an idea that he wants to move a player and he's using the pick as part of a deal.
It's a high pick, but it's still a first rounder.

I foresee a trade as well. For some odd reason I believe it will be Lehner. Ottawa sort of blocked him this season.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 13 June 2012 - 04:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users