85 replies to this topic

#21 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,730 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

not only did holik never say this, he specifically wanted to go to the rangers (although never stated that publicly) after he lost his arbitration case. it was the one team he wanted to go to and demanded they raise their initial offer. if HOI checks in, he'll confirm that.

gomez never said anything except "i'll see you in newark."

At the time I remember adding, "when I come back wearing Broadway Blues". One guy told me no way that would happen, but I had a feeling he was going be a Ranger...especially since New Jersey was so bereft of bookstores and Starbuck's at the time. How could Gomer resist?

And no matter what, I'll always believe that tampering goes on in the NHL (and likely other leagues)...those deals that get signed early on July 1? I'm sure Gomez had no idea what a potential Ranger offer might be until July 1, 12:01 am. Please...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 13 June 2012 - 01:56 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#22 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

Didn't Gomez also have a dispute with Lou and say he always wanted to play in NY? Major difference between Parise and that slug

n2eg.jpg

#23 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

And no matter what, I'll always believe that tampering goes on in the NHL (and likely other leagues)...those deals that get signed early on July 1? I'm sure Gomez had no idea what a potential Ranger offer might be until July 1, 12:01 am. Please...

One concrete example of what teams do: Won't name the team or the player involved, but, prior to July 1, a team sent a DVD to a pending UFA-to-be basically touting how great the team was, how he would be a great fit, etc. The DVD comes with instructions though not to view prior to the opening of free agency. Even if the player abides by the instructions, it at least is made clear that there is an interest there. This is just one example, I'm sure it's probably a common practice.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#24 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,748 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

Wasn't that "See you in Newark" that Gomez said by him done on a Newark promo video that they showed at Meadowlands? I remember being there and seeing it at some point.

Yep. It was the one they had Jim Nantz host to show off the Rock back in 2007, the last year at CAA.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#25 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

As far as I know, Holik never said anything to "I won't play for NYR" - he wanted to play for NYR because he didn't want to move and they pay him big money. He lived next to Dano and Marty, but played for a different team.

#26 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

I think the Rangers are very handy for guys with kids in schools here and wives that like the area. they know the fans won't like it, but the bottom line is the fans are composed of strangers, and family wins that battle. It is a business at the end of the day for lots of guys. I eventually got over MacLean and Driver, but Zach is different. Zach is a young guy wearing the C and the home grown future face of the franchise. Glad to read his comments here :)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#27 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

New york Rangers - where superstars go to see their careers die !

#28 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

Yep. It was the one they had Jim Nantz host to show off the Rock back in 2007, the last year at CAA.

Yup, that's the one. I was trying to find the full thing but this is all I could find so far...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAhaBHjKH0s

#29 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

I'd like to think this run has a lot to do with him potentially re-signing. I said it before, but yesterday greeting the players off the bus, he was easily the most awestruck it looked like. After chants of 'Come back, Zach', he said not to worry.

#30 Rangerfans

Rangerfans

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

It would be cool if Zack resigned with New Jersey. One of the few teams that actually has loyal, devoted players. It's pretty cool to see.

If he doesn't sign, my bet is either Detroit or Nashville.

#31 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

At the time I remember adding, "when I come back wearing Broadway Blues". One guy told me no way that would happen, but I had a feeling he was going be a Ranger...especially since New Jersey was so bereft of bookstores and Starbuck's at the time. How could Gomer resist?

Yeah it's probably done through the agents. The agent has a particular player the team already has under contract or is looking to re-sign, agent and team talk about player and during the conversation feelers get sent out about their FA clients.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#32 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

SVCK IT DANIELLE
Posted Image

#33 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

I think as long as Jersey is close money wise to his other offers, Zach stays. If not, my bet is Detroit and my dark horse pick is San Jose assuming they decide to shake things up and trade a big contract to have spending cash in free agency.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#34 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

why are there like five new topics a day about some of the same stuff... like instead of the parise thread, theres "Parise says he doesn't want to sign with the rags"

lol

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#35 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,325 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

Wasn't that "See you in Newark" that Gomez said by him done on a Newark promo video that they showed at Meadowlands? I remember being there and seeing it at some point.

everyone else already got to it but i was using the reference as a joke. it was meant to say that gomez never said he would not sign with the rangers. 90% of us knew he was gone but were'nt sure it would be to the rangers.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#36 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

I was hoping he would say he would never sign with the Canes either! :P
It's the whiskey talking.

#37 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,748 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

I was hoping he would say he would never sign with the Canes either! :P

Lmfao, I don't really think he needs to. Everyone already knows there's no chance of that.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#38 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

The LA Kings will make a push to sign Parise too

Edited by slasher72, 13 June 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#39 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

Well I think that would bring a sh!tstorm of hate if Zach were to go with the Rainjahs. Pull a Gomer, or a MacLean, or a Driver, or a Sykora (he made up for playing with them) or a Holik. Glad we won't see him there at least. I think Zach is smart enough to know he'd be selling out going there and it would destroy his career playing with that group of primadonnas

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#40 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,389 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

One concrete example of what teams do: Won't name the team or the player involved, but, prior to July 1, a team sent a DVD to a pending UFA-to-be basically touting how great the team was, how he would be a great fit, etc.

The Rangers did this with/to Holik.

I remember reading about it at the time.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users