85 replies to this topic

#61 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,623 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

if the Leafs got fined for tampering when Wilson talked about their interest in the Sedins i dont know why the wild isnt tampering now... i guess because it wasnt said "directly" in a press conference or wtv

the person who made these comments does not work for the Wild.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#62 LaCava83

LaCava83

Rookie Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

exactly...

#63 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

There could be an investigation to determine whether Wild management intentionally brought it up with the aim of getting the statement out there. Same thing in principle as a third-party "independently" contacting a player's agent saying, "I've got it on good authority that this is what team x is prepared to offer."

Honestly, if this plays out the way Nanne claimed it would, I would not be shocked if there is some kind of investigation.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#64 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,277 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

There could be an investigation to determine whether Wild management intentionally brought it up with the aim of getting the statement out there. Same thing in principle as a third-party "independently" contacting a player's agent saying, "I've got it on good authority that this is what team x is prepared to offer."

Honestly, if this plays out the way Nanne claimed it would, I would not be shocked if there is some kind of investigation.

Yeah, this is a sneaky way to try to get around the tampering charge, no question. In many ways, this is far worse than Wilson saying 'we might have an interest in the Sedins', especially since Wilson has no power to negotiate. People that do have the power to offer contracts (the Wild owner and GM) let word leak through a friendly third party that they would be ready to basically throw Zach a blank check by saying they won't be outbid, and in another article the numbers $8-9 million a year were floated out there.

Really, something needs to be done to close this tampering loophole because if it isn't, a million teams are going to get figures out in the media this way, through an intermediary. People who work for the organization just cannot be allowed to tell anyone outside of the organization their plans for free agent X, period. I realize it's going to happen surreptitiously at times, but it can't be done in such a brazen public fashion, or the 'exclusive negotiating' window is meaningless.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 15 June 2012 - 11:32 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#65 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

How about just letting GMs talk about whatever players they want? I don't understand why this tampering rule even exists really. Why is it so awful for a GM to talk about interest in another team's player in the media? I guess it could be used as a weapon (pretending to have trade talks about players) but why is that so bad? It would make for more interesting copy.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#66 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

How about just letting GMs talk about whatever players they want? I don't understand why this tampering rule even exists really. Why is it so awful for a GM to talk about interest in another team's player in the media? I guess it could be used as a weapon (pretending to have trade talks about players) but why is that so bad? It would make for more interesting copy.

You have tampering rules because, otherwise, there would be no point in having a date that opens free agency. Also imagine a situation where a player's agent, or perhaps the player himself, is getting calls from a bunch of teams during the season. Permitting tampering would also make the idea of trading a player's rights pointless.
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#67 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

I think Parise will sign with the Rags before the NHL does ANYTHING to the Wild here. i don't think the league goes out of their way to hurt us necessarily, but they sure won't go out of their way to help us.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#68 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

I think Parise will sign with the Rags before the NHL does ANYTHING to the Wild here. i don't think the league goes out of their way to hurt us necessarily, but they sure won't go out of their way to help us.

We got a pretty nice reward for the Blues tampering with Stevens, not to mention being awarded Stevens in the first place. And that was back during the time when it was common wisdom that the Devils were destroying the league.

Edited by Daniel, 15 June 2012 - 11:55 AM.

Posted Image

#69 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

i am kind of confused with the role of an agent during free agency but here is an example:

Lets say hypothetically these three teams offer 10 year contracts:

DEVILS $75 million
WILD $110 million
RANGERS $85 million

Now lets say Parise only wants to play with the Devils and has no interest in signing anywhere else. Can the agent force him or encourage to him play elsewhere to get the most money (since the agent will get a cut of the money)

I doubt this happens but was just curious. I am assuming if this happens, Parise would just fire his agent

#70 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

i am kind of confused with the role of an agent during free agency but here is an example:

DEVILS $75 million
WILD $110 million
RANGERS $85 million

Now lets say Parise only wants to play with the Devils and has no interest in signing anywhere else. Can the agent force him or encourage to him play elsewhere to get the most money (since the agent will get a cut of the money)

I doubt this happens but was just curious. I am assuming if this happens, Parise would just fire his agent

Everyone should be like Marty and have no agent. B )

Edited by Zubie#8, 15 June 2012 - 12:08 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#71 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,623 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

We got a pretty nice reward for the Blues tampering with Stevens, not to mention being awarded Stevens in the first place. And that was back during the time when it was common wisdom that the Devils were destroying the league.

There was physical evidence of the Blues GM negotiating before the assigned date.

This isn't tampering, guys. If Zach's agents didn't know that Minnesota would make the biggest offer, they probably shouldn't be his agents.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#72 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

There was physical evidence of the Blues GM negotiating before the assigned date.

This isn't tampering, guys. If Zach's agents didn't know that Minnesota would make the biggest offer, they probably shouldn't be his agents.

I think the Stevens debacle was also just before we started destroying the league, not during :)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#73 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

DEVILS $75 million
WILD $110 million
RANGERS $85 million

The agent can't force anything. He can suggest, and his job is to get his client the best possible offer. Parise has the final say.

Brodeur fired his agent in 95 because the agent wanted him to hold out and Marty just wanted to work out a deal.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#74 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

All Brian Burke did was answer a question and say he might be interested in signing the Sedins and he was fined for tampering.

This isn't a matter of being a homer. Someone who used to be with the organization, who, after having a meeting with current management, makes essentially the same pitch that they would make after noon on July 1. That, at the very least, warrants an investigation.

Ultimately though, the worst that would happen is a fine, or maybe the forfeit of a low draft pick.
Posted Image

#75 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

You have tampering rules because, otherwise, there would be no point in having a date that opens free agency. Also imagine a situation where a player's agent, or perhaps the player himself, is getting calls from a bunch of teams during the season. Permitting tampering would also make the idea of trading a player's rights pointless.

I think this is the exact scenario that happens in international soccer. Their transfer policies are a mess, and there is constant talk amongst agents and team managers about player movement in the middle of the season with the player under contract to another team. It's great for bloggers nad journalists, but horrible for the fans as there's always talk about who's getting brought in and who's leaving once the transfer window opens.
Posted Image

#76 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

Everyone should be like Marty and have no agent. B )

If I played for the devils I wouldn't have an agent. In lou I trust!
Devils.

#77 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

I think the Stevens debacle was also just before we started destroying the league, not during :)

Yes. We began destroying the league about 2 years later!
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#78 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:12 AM

The agent can't force anything. He can suggest, and his job is to get his client the best possible offer. Parise has the final say.

Brodeur fired his agent in 95 because the agent wanted him to hold out and Marty just wanted to work out a deal.

Brodeur's agent (Gilles Lupien) did negotiate Brodeur's '95 deal (a three-year contract), but the process was so contentious and acrimonius that, by the time Marty was ready for his next contract, Lou told Marty straight out "Do what you want, but I'm not dealing with Lupien anymore." Lou and Marty then sat down and negotiated a four-year deal (I think for about $4 million per season). This was actually pretty miraculous in ways, in that Marty felt his '95 deal was unfair, so much so that he had said after he signed it that he would never sign another contract with the Devils again.

Shortly after his new four-year pact was signed, Marty had lunch with Lupien, where Marty informed Lupien about what he had done...Marty then asked Lupien how much money he owed him. Lupien took out a pen, wrote something on a napkin, then handed it to Brodeur. Tha napkin read "0". Lupien was furious with Marty for basically acting as his own agent. Marty realized he didn't need Lupien anymore, so they quickly settled a previous debt (Marty owed Lupien some money), then they went their separate ways.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 16 June 2012 - 05:15 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#79 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

I WANT SUTER. am i tampering?? Do we really view the wild as a threat? I dont

#80 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,005 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

A look at the Parise situation along with why I think Zach wouldn't sign with the Rangers.

My Take

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users