#102 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,507 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

I could see this crippling our defense.

Yeah. Goddamn that rule that says you can't sign or trade for defensemen from other NHL teams!

#103 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

Yeah. Goddamn that rule that says you can't sign or trade for defensemen from other NHL teams!

Ok I lol'd there.

Also:

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Sharks sign Brad Stuart to a three-year deal.

Edited by TheMazz, 26 June 2012 - 03:54 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#104 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

Shane O'Brien resigns at 6M, 3 years, 2M cap hit.

#105 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

My link

Schultz to meet with the Oilers. Very interesting. I guess the pitch is that he gets to play relatively close to home (he's from B.C.) and be part of a team that has a great shot of being really special in a short time.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#106 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,055 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

My link

Schultz to meet with the Oilers. Very interesting. I guess the pitch is that he gets to play relatively close to home (he's from B.C.) and be part of a team that has a great shot of being really special in a short time.

Edmonton is becoming a pretty attractive destination. Almost Pittsburgh west. They have all those young stars up front, and Schultz will get to slot right in, as they have nothing back there on the blue line. They have a new building on the way as well, so that adds to the attractiveness.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#107 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

Edmonton is becoming a pretty attractive destination. Almost Pittsburgh west. They have all those young stars up front, and Schultz will get to slot right in, as they have nothing back there on the blue line. They have a new building on the way as well, so that adds to the attractiveness.

In a few years think about the cap hell they'll be in. Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, and Eberle. Add on that a competitive defense they need to build and a competent goalie. They are attractive with their young talent but they have a lot of young guys that will be getting top dollar soon.

#108 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,055 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

In a few years think about the cap hell they'll be in. Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, and Eberle. Add on that a competitive defense they need to build and a competent goalie. They are attractive with their young talent but they have a lot of young guys that will be getting top dollar soon.

Yeah, that's certainly a consideration, to borrow a Lou-ism lol. But that's still a few years away, and I'm sure they'll figure out who's expendable and who isn't by then.

#109 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

True, but it also has the worst weather of any NHL city. There's a reason why players like Heatley didnt want to go to Edmonton. I can't even think of the last major ufa to sign there

#110 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,055 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

True, but it also has the worst weather of any NHL city. There's a reason why players like Heatley didnt want to go to Edmonton. I can't even think of the last major ufa to sign there

Winnipeg might take that crown now that they're back in the league.

#111 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

"A few years" is more like six years.
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#112 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

Lots of people thought the same with Pittsburgh. Shero is also one of the sharpest GMs in the game right now. It took them 8 years to finally trade one of those top draft picks they got (Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, Staal) and they got quite a damn good return for him, and had a Cup and a Finals berth before. They're at the 4th year now with Eberle.

This cap hell of course is a possibility, but their current core cannot be denied and with the way RFA rules and such are in place, Edmonton could get very good, very fast, and stay that way for a while if they make the right moves in free agency/trades. I dont think a dynasty is possible in this league anymore, but we could definitely see Edmonton become a perennial playoff team with these guys as a core nucleus for many years.

Edited by ghdi, 27 June 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#113 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,359 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

Lots of people thought the same with Pittsburgh. Shero is also one of the sharpest GMs in the game right now. It took them 8 years to finally trade one of those top draft picks they got (Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, Staal) and they got quite a damn good return for him, and had a Cup and a Finals berth before. They're at the 4th year now with Eberle.

This cap hell of course is a possibility, but their current core cannot be denied and with the way RFA rules and such are in place, Edmonton could get very good, very fast, and stay that way for a while if they make the right moves in free agency/trades. I dont think a dynasty is possible in this league anymore, but we could definitely see Edmonton become a perennial playoff team with these guys as a core nucleus for many years.

i think we're reaching a point where you have to redefine dynasty going forward in the NHL. There is enough parity and the playoffs are so tough with luck being such a factor, I think modern day "dynasties" are those teams who have a 5 or 6 year run of excellence (meaning 96 point or better every year) with at least one Cup and multiple years winning more than one playoff round. Frankly, had the Sharks won a Cup in the last 5 years, I think you could consider them one.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#114 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

i think we're reaching a point where you have to redefine dynasty going forward in the NHL. There is enough parity and the playoffs are so tough with luck being such a factor, I think modern day "dynasties" are those teams who have a 5 or 6 year run of excellence (meaning 96 point or better every year) with at least one Cup and multiple years winning more than one playoff round. Frankly, had the Sharks won a Cup in the last 5 years, I think you could consider them one.

I wouldn't lower the bar that much. Maybe something along the lines of 2 cups + a finals appearance over 4-5 years.

#115 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

I wouldn't lower the bar that much. Maybe something along the lines of 2 cups + a finals appearance over 4-5 years.

Its pretty arbitrary to begin with.

#116 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

I could see Arnott coming back.....anyone?

#117 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

I could see Arnott coming back.....anyone?

No.
Posted Image

#118 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

Wideman to the Flames, 5 years, no financials.

Guess they got the rights from the Caps. Wonder if Boowmeester is on the way out?

#119 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

No.

Lol this^. I mentioned something about what Dredger wrote on twitter about Shane Doan testing the market and I dont think anyone said anything.

Anyway TSN wrote an article HERE.

Think Doan is a possibility if Parise doesn't return? He is a more realistic addition than Bobby Ryan from Ana for a bag of pucks and the ugliest Devils dancer. I also think he would want out of the west if he did resign elsewhere.

815631765.gif

#120 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,359 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

Lol this^. I mentioned something about what Dredger wrote on twitter about Shane Doan testing the market and I dont think anyone said anything.

Anyway TSN wrote an article HERE.

Think Doan is a possibility if Parise doesn't return? He is a more realistic addition than Bobby Ryan from Ana for a bag of pucks and the ugliest Devils dancer. I also think he would want out of the west if he did resign elsewhere.

i would not bet on Doan coming here nor would I want him - especially for the 4 year term he's seeking.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users