#141 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,483 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636351&navid=DL|LAK|home

Based on what? He'll probably be worse than he was this year but I don't see him being below average.

Based on the fact that no one has any goddamn idea who the good goalies are, besides 2 or 3 guys. Quick could just be another Ryan Miller. Remember when everyone thought he was clearly a top goalie?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#142 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,995 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

Ryan Miller didn't win a Stanley Cup with a GAA of under 1.5. He didn't even win a gold medal.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#143 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

How is Crosby suppose to become a Devil if he agreed to a 12 year deal with the Penguins?

#144 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

Fvck Quick and Fvck Crosby.

BTW vote for me for poster of the year!

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#145 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,483 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

Ryan Miller didn't win a Stanley Cup with a GAA of under 1.5. He didn't even win a gold medal.

I'm sure if you looked in Ryan Miller's career history, you can find a 20 game sample with play that good. Quick might've just become one of the league's elite goalies, or he could be a decent goalie on a huge hot streak, which happens all the time.

#146 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

I'm sure if you looked in Ryan Miller's career history, you can find a 20 game sample with play that good. Quick might've just become one of the league's elite goalies, or he could be a decent goalie on a huge hot streak, which happens all the time.

And Cam Ward haha.

#147 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

Goalie performance is pretty random, but it's not THAT random. There is persistence. I think you all are overstating how chaotic it can be. Cam Ward hasn't had a sv% below .915 the past 4 years, so he's a poor example imo for what you're talking about.

Quick has had a pretty great start to his career, this isn't just a Gigeure/Halak hot playoff goalie situation. This contract could easily become a mistake and I think the Kings D doesn't get enough credit for his performance this year, but I don't expect him to suddenly become a below average goaltender.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#148 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

this isn't just a Gigeure/Halak hot playoff goalie situation

It's not an impossibility. No one knows how he plays going forward.

#149 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

Hey, remember Steve Mason?

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#150 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

Hey, remember Steve Mason?

I rather have Chris Mason over Steve Mason at this point. Steve's confidence is beyond repair.

Speaking of Quick however - I saw this on HF and had a good laugh:

Posted Image

n2eg.jpg

#151 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

‏@RealKyper
Look for #Kings Quick 10 year deal at 58M to be front loaded comparable to #NHL deal #Preds have for Rinne that pays him 7M first 7yrs.

#152 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,483 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

Goalie performance is pretty random, but it's not THAT random. There is persistence. I think you all are overstating how chaotic it can be. Cam Ward hasn't had a sv% below .915 the past 4 years, so he's a poor example imo for what you're talking about.

Quick has had a pretty great start to his career, this isn't just a Gigeure/Halak hot playoff goalie situation. This contract could easily become a mistake and I think the Kings D doesn't get enough credit for his performance this year, but I don't expect him to suddenly become a below average goaltender.

He hasn't, though. I mean, LA undercounts shots, but Quick has 1 top 10 save percentage season: this one. There really isn't much persistence.

Cam Ward's last 4 seasons - one is above average, the rest are average. That's the point. The Kings might expect Quick to be a .925 goalie going forward, but if he's a .915 goalie this deal doesn't look good at all. I think it's as good of a deal as they could hope to sign, but it's a giant risk.

#153 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

He hasn't, though. I mean, LA undercounts shots, but Quick has 1 top 10 save percentage season: this one. There really isn't much persistence.

Cam Ward's last 4 seasons - one is above average, the rest are average. That's the point. The Kings might expect Quick to be a .925 goalie going forward, but if he's a .915 goalie this deal doesn't look good at all. I think it's as good of a deal as they could hope to sign, but it's a giant risk.

"Life is risk.....Go away." (not an easy one as I'm leaving out a small part).

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#154 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

I rather have Chris Mason over Steve Mason at this point. Steve's confidence is beyond repair.

Speaking of Quick however - I saw this on HF and had a good laugh:

Posted Image

I meant remember Steve Mason had a phenomenal rookie season and fell off. Quick isn't certified solid gold like our #30.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#155 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

True and as a Sabres fan Miller is overpaid right now $6.25M on the books for the next 2 years)

Miller did win a Veniza however, and has had his moments. Miller is a very good goalie with elite stretches (Miller was unconscious the last 2 months of this past season, until Ehrhoff and Myers both went down and the team ran out of gas late), that is a big difference between an elite goalie who is elite almost all the time. VERY few truly elite goalies have ever existed (Brodeur, Hasek and Roy, to name 3)

Edited by LOTCB, 28 June 2012 - 04:33 PM.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#156 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

Jonathan Bernier wants a trade and the Devils are in the running.

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland

Next move the ‪#LAKINGS‬ will be to trade Jonathan Bernier who has asked to be moved. ‪#devils‬ ‪#Leafs‬ ‪#blackhawks‬ all possibilties

Followed up with another Strickland tweet:

‪#LAKINGS‬ told Bernier they would look to move him once a contract with Quick was finalized

https://twitter.com/...442363629076482

Edited by TheMazz, 28 June 2012 - 05:25 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#157 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

Jonathan Bernier wants a trade and the Devils are in the running.

Next move the ‪#LAKINGS‬ will be to trade Jonathan Bernier who has asked to be moved. ‪#devils‬ ‪#Leafs‬ ‪#blackhawks‬ all possibilties

Followed up with another Strickland tweet:

‪#LAKINGS‬ told Bernier they would look to move him once a contract with Quick was finalized

I imagine the Leafs and Hawks are more desperate than us to acquire him. I would be surprised if the Devils interest was anything more than a quick check to see what goods would have to go to LA.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#158 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

Well I thought the Leafs are/were the front runners for Luongo. To the Devils it would make the most sense - A lot of goalies have been going for just draft picks so I don't think the Devils would need to give up anymore then that. A prospect perhaps as well.

Edited by TheMazz, 28 June 2012 - 05:36 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#159 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:47 PM

Janssen for bernier straight up.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#160 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:47 PM

Well I thought the Leafs are/were the front runners for Luongo. To the Devils it would make the most sense - A lot of goalies have been going for just draft picks so I don't think the Devils would need to give up anymore then that. A prospect perhaps as well.

Urbom, Tedenby and a second. No to Merrill. Don't want to give up a first and run the risk of losing a top pick in next years draft if the season turns out to be a disaster.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users