93 replies to this topic

#1 mort4345

mort4345

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:25 PM

Obviously none of us know right now if Zach will re-sign with the Devils or not. I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll be back in red and black next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not - especially if he makes it to July 1 and Minnesota offers him a stupid $90 million/10-year contract. In any event, I'm curious what the board thinks the Devils should do in the event that they lose their captain? I'm hopeful and pretty certain that Lou has a contingency plan thought out if that were to be the case, but I'm not entirely sure I'd even know where to begin. I think, for the sake of fending off a potential punch to the gut in a few weeks, we should all mentally prepare a battle plan for the post-Zach era. If he signs an extension, awesome. But if not, I don't want to cringe in the face of utter despair. What say you? What's the battle plan?

#2 mort4345

mort4345

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:34 PM

Here's a pretty decent link to the 2012 UFA class complete with current salaries:
http://capgeek.com/f...-1&fa_type_id=2

Mix and match.

#3 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:36 PM

Think Lou would have a back up plan but obviously you can't replace Parise....remember when Paul Martin signed with Pitt the devils immediately announced the signing of Tallinder and A-Train
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#4 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:00 AM

Think Lou would have a back up plan but obviously you can't replace Parise....remember when Paul Martin signed with Pitt the devils immediately announced the signing of Tallinder and A-Train

That back up plan has worked out a lot better than the Niedermayer back up plan did - Malakhov and McGillis. :doh1:

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#5 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:34 AM

I think id be way more upset about my friends giving me sh!t about it than about not having him on the team

www.SterioDesign.com

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

Paul Martin also sucks.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#7 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,116 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

That back up plan has worked out a lot better than the Niedermayer back up plan did - Malakhov and McGillis. :doh1:

Rafalski's loyalty made that turn out a lot better than it should have...he was basically waiting on Lou when he didn't have to.

McGillis and Mogilny I understood at the time (unfortunately the new NHL and the year layoff made it hard to tell who was still capable of performing), but Malakhov, especially at his price tag, was the one that had me saying "WTF" at the time, especially at $3.8 million per year.

Lou was clearly hoping Niedermayer would come back...so much so that he was willing to gamble on that, while better players were signing elsewhere. It blew up in his face unfortunately, but the only thing I think Lou could've done differently was to offer Nieds the max much earlier in the negotiations.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#8 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:57 AM

The plan or likelihood is that Lou would look to sign a couple veteran forwards on short-term deals to try and maintain good depth on all three lines. You are not going to replace Parise per se, so the team would definitely change in terms of the lines for next year and how the whole roster fits together.

In such a case, the pickings are pretty darn slim. If Parise did leave, I could see Lou maybe trying to package one of our defensive prospects and maybe looking to swing a trade based on the available talent in FA.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#9 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

buy tedenby steroid (it not on the salary cap ! )

and we are fine !

#10 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

What to do if we lose Parise? Easy...

Posted Image

:headless chicken:

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#11 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

Well re-signing Ponikarovsky might be necessary, and the team has to pray Tedenby isn't awful in his final shot.

Ponikarovsky - Zajac - Kovalchuk
Elias - Josefson - Zubrus
Tedenby - Henrique - Clarkson
Carter - Gionta - Bernier

The team is clearly worse, but that doesn't look like a disaster to me.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#12 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

why josefson on the second and hanrique on the third... I love JJ but Henrique his better

#13 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

Obviously none of us know right now if Zach will re-sign with the Devils or not. I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll be back in red and black next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not - especially if he makes it to July 1 and Minnesota offers him a stupid $90 million/10-year contract. In any event, I'm curious what the board thinks the Devils should do in the event that they lose their captain? I'm hopeful and pretty certain that Lou has a contingency plan thought out if that were to be the case, but I'm not entirely sure I'd even know where to begin. I think, for the sake of fending off a potential punch to the gut in a few weeks, we should all mentally prepare a battle plan for the post-Zach era. If he signs an extension, awesome. But if not, I don't want to cringe in the face of utter despair. What say you? What's the battle plan?

We cry for a few days and move on...

#14 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

why josefson on the second and hanrique on the third... I love JJ but Henrique his better

Well nothing is fixed, but those are closest to the lines the team last had in the finals, easier to visualize where the team goes from there. Would make sense to start camp with those I think, then alter if players start to give you reasons to.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#15 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

Don't worry, Teddy will pot 40 goals.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#16 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

Well re-signing Ponikarovsky might be necessary, and the team has to pray Tedenby isn't awful in his final shot.

Ponikarovsky - Zajac - Kovalchuk
Elias - Josefson - Zubrus
Tedenby - Henrique - Clarkson
Carter - Gionta - Bernier

The team is clearly worse, but that doesn't look like a disaster to me.

I don't see that being a playoff team.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#17 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,446 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

I don't see that being a playoff team.

It still has a great defense and solid forward corps, but yeah, relying a lot on Kovalchuk to score.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#18 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

It still has a great defense and solid forward corps, but yeah, relying a lot on Kovalchuk to score.

You have to think Larsson is gonna improve offensively (hopefully a good deal), so that should help our transition. Kovy, Henrique, Zajac, Clarkson and Elias isnt awful,
But the offense does look a lot better with Parise

#19 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

Burn the jerseys and make Kovy captain. But, he'll re-sign, I know it.
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#20 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Push hard for Parenteau if Zach leaves. This man had a TON of assists on a mediocre team.

believe-zubrus.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users