Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

yea i guess parenteau and semin would be decent plan Bs

if that were to happen then move Kovy back to LW i guess

but stay zach!

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#22 Dead

Dead

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

If parise doesnt re-sign, then it will be "who is parise?" to me...

Stationed @ The Rock   Devils!!! :devil: :gd: :devil:
gallery_47_36_882.pngSection 114 & Kovy's Second Contract

#23 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

yea i guess parenteau and semin would be decent plan Bs

if that were to happen then move Kovy back to LW i guess

but stay zach!

Semin will never be a member of the New Jersey Devils.

#24 Anhkheg

Anhkheg

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

Don't know much about Rick Nash, if he is as good or better than Parise, I can see Lou making a push for him.

#25 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

No Nash or Semin, please for the love of God no.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#26 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,070 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

I think signing Parenteau and moving Kovy back to left wing is about as good of a Plan B as you can get this year without making a trade

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#27 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,503 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

Kovalchuk will never be a member of the New Jersey Devils.

fixed. I mean, I doubt Lou is interested very much in Semin, but never say never about these things.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#28 jkrdevil

jkrdevil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

If they don't sign Zach there probably isn't a backup plan because that means the cash isn't there. It will be find someone in the bargain bin to fill out the roster and go from there,

#29 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

If they don't sign Zach there probably isn't a backup plan because that means the cash isn't there. It will be find someone in the bargain bin to fill out the roster and go from there,

I wouldn't say that's true at all. It's possible that the Wild offer Zach a stupid deal that Lou would have to be crazy to match, regardless of the team's financial situation.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#30 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:50 PM

fixed. I mean, I doubt Lou is interested very much in Semin, but never say never about these things.

Nah, but I will agree that "never" is too strong of a word. I disagree with the correlation to Kovalchuk. Kovy was never mentioned in the same breath as Semin has in terms of attitude. Kovy's style of play was a question undoubtedly, but thats the way he always played until he got here.

In that respect tho, since we've gotten Kovy to change his game style, maybe Semin would buy into it and change his attitude too.

#31 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

Nah, but I will agree that "never" is too strong of a word. I disagree with the correlation to Kovalchuk. Kovy was never mentioned in the same breath as Semin has in terms of attitude. Kovy's style of play was a question undoubtedly, but thats the way he always played until he got here.

In that respect tho, since we've gotten Kovy to change his game style, maybe Semin would buy into it and change his attitude too.

I have a feeling that if Zach leaves, Semin could be brought in. The kids got boatloads of talent, but doesn't know (or want to know) how to play 2 ways. That has to change and, ironically, it would be Kovy that gets him to buy into the "Devils way."
Posted Image

#32 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

Semin just reeks of Gomez-itis.

Lots of natural talent and skill, but he rarely seems to care or try.

I'm pleased to see how Kovalchuk has changed and evolved his game to buy into the Devils' system, but does anyone else really want to take on another 'project' player that cannot play defense?

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#33 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

Just going on playoffs alone, Semin bought into Hunters system very well and he was not a liability out there. He took way too many penalties in those 2 rounds though. But from what I saw in the playoffs he 100% bought in to Hunters system of defense first.

I could see him going to the KHL because he will have to take a pay cut to stay in the NHL. I dont think any teams will pay him 6 million but you never know.

Edited by Zubie#8, 18 June 2012 - 12:16 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#34 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

I wouldn't say that's true at all. It's possible that the Wild offer Zach a stupid deal that Lou would have to be crazy to match, regardless of the team's financial situation.

I was thinking the same thing. In fact, this has happened a bunch of times. We would gladly have resigned Gomez if the Rags hadn't given him mad-stupid money; Neider would've been back if the offer had been higher (and his bro wasn't already playing for the Ducks.... And if Lou hadn't dragged him thru the mud in arbitration); and so on. I don't think we've ever had a situation, yet, where lack of money dictated our signings and Lou has confirmed this pblicly I believe. My guess is that he has a number in mind and it will be what he believe Zach is worth. It will be reasonable, maybe even generous, and he won't budge if some team like the Wild comes along and throws out a Gomez-style salary at Zach. No matter how good you are, everyone can be overpaid.
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#35 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

I was thinking the same thing. In fact, this has happened a bunch of times. We would gladly have resigned Gomez if the Rags hadn't given him mad-stupid money; Neider would've been back if the offer had been higher (and his bro wasn't already playing for the Ducks.... And if Lou hadn't dragged him thru the mud in arbitration); and so on. I don't think we've ever had a situation, yet, where lack of money dictated our signings and Lou has confirmed this pblicly I believe. My guess is that he has a number in mind and it will be what he believe Zach is worth. It will be reasonable, maybe even generous, and he won't budge if some team like the Wild comes along and throws out a Gomez-style salary at Zach. No matter how good you are, everyone can be overpaid.

I agree with everything you said except the Niedermayer part. If I recall correctly, Lou offered him a max (or near max) contract that was higher than what the Ducks signed him for. He turned it down and went to Anaheim because of little Robbie and a chance to win the Cup with his brother, rather than against him. Nothing Lou or the organization could have done differently, other than sign him to an extension a year prior.
Posted Image

#36 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

I agree with everything you said except the Niedermayer part. If I recall correctly, Lou offered him a max (or near max) contract that was higher than what the Ducks signed him for. He turned it down and went to Anaheim because of little Robbie and a chance to win the Cup with his brother, rather than against him. Nothing Lou or the organization could have done differently, other than sign him to an extension a year prior.

Yep, you are right. Lou offered max salary and Nieds decided to try to win with his bro. The only other thing Lou could do other than an extension was trade for Rob, which he attempted while he was with Calgary.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#37 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

I think a one year deal for Jagr could make sense.

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Jagr

or if that doesn't work out put Jagr on the second line where Sykora was.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#38 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

I think a one year deal for Jagr could make sense.

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Jagr

or if that doesn't work out put Jagr on the second line where Sykora was.

If Jagr comes back for another year, it's going to be with Philadelphia. The way he spoke about how it was so much fun, he loved it, blah blah blah. I doubt he signs anywhere else. Plus, Jagr is tainted for me since he was a member of the Rags fairly recently and now the Flyers. He also faded HARD in the 2nd half of the year ala Sykora.

On Paranteau, I actually like him and have been paying attention to him since he started playing well with NYI, not like him like big $$$$ like him, but I feel like he is a bit of sleeper this ufa season. Not as much since he had a good year with NYI, but I don't believe he's on a ton of team's short lists or anything. If he can be had for <4 years and <$3.6M per, I'd probably do it. He put up 18G 49A 67P this past season and while he played Tavares, it wasn't as if he was playing with him 100% of the time, so a lot of those assists weren't just attributable to JT's talent. That being said, I don't believe he's going to ever have a season where he puts up >75 points. I think his 67 points are about as high as he'll go, maybe he has another good season and gets to 75, but I doubt he ever become an "elite" point producer or anything.

#39 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

I agree with those who feel that if Parise leaves, it means that the money isn't there for a big signing. With the emergence of Henrique, I think we're actually okay at LW and C until Elias starts to decline, so making a more modest signing of a guy like Parenteau to fit in on the right side is a pretty good one, IMO.

If Lou was inclined to keep Kovy on the right side we could also try doing a one year deal with Ray Whitney. Despite his age he seemed to have plenty of gas left in the tank this past year.

Alex Semin holds absolutely no appeal to me, especially at the $$$ some GM will throw at him. That's one of those that we'll all be looking at on the evening of July 1st knowing it will be an albatross by the end of the season. Leave that for the Scott Howsons of the world to do.

We should also stay away from Rick Nash because you're getting a bloated contract you would expect if you're signing a UFA on July 1st but Columbus is also looking for significant assets in return.

Edited by Lateralous, 18 June 2012 - 03:13 PM.

#40 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

Dunno where/why/how Rick Nash came into the discussion. We don't have the assets to trade for him. The end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users