93 replies to this topic

#41 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

Plus Nash's cap hit is disgusting for an 70-80 pt player (and that's honestly all I think he is at absolute best)

Edited by Devilsfan118, 18 June 2012 - 04:08 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#42 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

And just for sh!ts and giggles, that dweeb Єklund (2.3% accurate) is saying "We could see his rights moved on Thursday or Friday I am told." This is in ref to Parise.

I guess its okay to go fwd planning that he'll still be here now!

Edited by ghdi, 18 June 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#43 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

I think we're keeping him, but regardless of Parise... I'd take Jagr at 2.5 million. He could be great on the PP, knows how to win, and if we don't burn him out could be a nice asset to the team.

Plus I'm sure he'd like to stay in the Atlantic. That being said there have always been rumors about him having a gambling problem and being near broke, so he might just go where the $ is. And probably will.

Gomez at $1,000,000.
Posted Image

#44 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:17 PM

I think we're keeping him, but regardless of Parise... I'd take Jagr at 2.5 million. He could be great on the PP, knows how to win, and if we don't burn him out could be a nice asset to the team.

Plus I'm sure he'd like to stay in the Atlantic. That being said there have always been rumors about him having a gambling problem and being near broke, so he might just go where the $ is. And probably will.

Gomez at $1,000,000.

Damn

I was gonna post I hope we get Jagr but I though I'd get killed for it....
At 2.5 I would give him a year for PP alone...

And then Marty and Jags hoist the Cup together next June as 41 year olds!!! :cheers:

Edited by ThreeCups, 18 June 2012 - 09:18 PM.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#45 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

I agree with those who feel that if Parise leaves, it means that the money isn't there for a big signing. With the emergence of Henrique, I think we're actually okay at LW and C until Elias starts to decline, so making a more modest signing of a guy like Parenteau to fit in on the right side is a pretty good one, IMO.

If Lou was inclined to keep Kovy on the right side we could also try doing a one year deal with Ray Whitney. Despite his age he seemed to have plenty of gas left in the tank this past year.

Alex Semin holds absolutely no appeal to me, especially at the $$$ some GM will throw at him. That's one of those that we'll all be looking at on the evening of July 1st knowing it will be an albatross by the end of the season. Leave that for the Scott Howsons of the world to do.

We should also stay away from Rick Nash because you're getting a bloated contract you would expect if you're signing a UFA on July 1st but Columbus is also looking for significant assets in return.

Before I go on, I want to say that, as a board, can we stay away from the "gas left in th tank" analogy? Haha it is so overused everywhere its hard to take.

But I agree with your opinion (and several others im sure) about staying away from Nash. He is 100% gonna be overpaid. and although I know he's talented, it's stil a risk at his price. Besides, he plays on a sh!tty team so he Gould be getting all th points, who knows how he play with other guys that are going to want to handle the puck. Talented, of course, but not worth the price

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#46 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

The Nash trade is going to be a disaster, I hope the Rags go for it and blow up their team (which is on the rise for the first time in years) for a 60-70 pts. guy with a monster contract. If they somehow give Gaborik away in that trade, that could be an upside of that, but the Jackets will demand someone with high hopes for the future, I think.

If Lou finalizes his priority signings (Zach, Marty, solve the backup G situation, maybe bring Parenteau) and there's money left, I can't see how giving Jagr a shot could hurt, but with the financial problems and everything I don't really see that happening.

#47 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

I was thinking the same thing. In fact, this has happened a bunch of times. We would gladly have resigned Gomez if the Rags hadn't given him mad-stupid money; Neider would've been back if the offer had been higher (and his bro wasn't already playing for the Ducks.... And if Lou hadn't dragged him thru the mud in arbitration); and so on. I don't think we've ever had a situation, yet, where lack of money dictated our signings and Lou has confirmed this pblicly I believe. My guess is that he has a number in mind and it will be what he believe Zach is worth. It will be reasonable, maybe even generous, and he won't budge if some team like the Wild comes along and throws out a Gomez-style salary at Zach. No matter how good you are, everyone can be overpaid.

It seems like this is how Lou handles most contract negotiations. Obviously I don't know for sure, but I see Lou as the kind of guy who really hates getting in bidding wars for players. He tells the player and his agent the most that he is willing to offer and the player can either take it or leave it. What the other teams offer don't really have any effect on Lou's negotiating. One player for whom this seemed to be the situation was Rafalski, as it felt at the time like Lou could've had Raf if he engaged in a bidding war with the Wings. Of course everything I am saying is just speculation and could be completely wrong, but the best anybody can do at this point is guess, I suppose.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#48 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

It seems like this is how Lou handles most contract negotiations. Obviously I don't know for sure, but I see Lou as the kind of guy who really hates getting in bidding wars for players. He tells the player and his agent the most that he is willing to offer and the player can either take it or leave it. What the other teams offer don't really have any effect on Lou's negotiating. One player for whom this seemed to be the situation was Rafalski, as it felt at the time like Lou could've had Raf if he engaged in a bidding war with the Wings. Of course everything I am saying is just speculation and could be completely wrong, but the best anybody can do at this point is guess, I suppose.

Exactly, same thing with Martin. When Martin left Lou already had plans to sign Tallinder and Volchenkov. I trust Lou will make the right moves with or without Parise.

Edited by Zubie#8, 20 June 2012 - 08:58 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#49 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

We have lost alot better over the years then Parise...I was never a huge fan....by better I mean...#27...#28...Retired #4...retired #3.

So,what to do if we lose Parise.....lace them up,and play the Fvcking game.
And The Rags Have How Many Cups--Can't win many with a Farm team.

#50 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

We have lost alot better over the years then Parise...I was never a huge fan....by better I mean...#27...#28...Retired #4...retired #3.

So,what to do if we lose Parise.....lace them up,and play the Fvcking game.

...and sign Parenteau :rolleyes:

believe-zubrus.jpg

#51 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

The retirements don't really matter much in this respect IMO, especially since Stevens' last year was the year before the lockout and Dano was on his last legs as of 2003 (he was benched for a bit in 03!). We couldnt prevent them leaving and it was time for Daneyko.

I agree about Niedermayer. Rafalski, not so much. I'd put Parise second in terms of a loss if he leaves next week, behind Niedermayer. He's our Captain and we're coming off a berth in the Finals, which he was a big piece of our getting to. The one thing I take solace in is the fact we have Kovy and now Henrique. The fact we have Henrique makes the thought of losing Parise a little easier to swallow, but its still going to be enormous if Zach walks.

The one thing I don't want to see is overpayment, although that is pretty much a certainty, I dont want to see it overkill.

#52 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

I still believe he's staying, but if Lou thinks there's a good chance he wants to go elsewhere can't he still be traded?

#53 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:27 AM

I still believe he's staying, but if Lou thinks there's a good chance he wants to go elsewhere can't he still be traded?

Just the rights to speak with him.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#54 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

If Parise walks or not, will we see Tedenby in the NHL next year? I really hope the team gives him another chance because for whatever reason I like the kid.

815631765.gif

#55 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,564 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

If Parise walks or not, will we see Tedenby in the NHL next year? I really hope the team gives him another chance because for whatever reason I like the kid.

He was a first-rounder, I'm sure he'll get at least one more shot...but he's going to have to earn his spot. He'll need a strong camp...his stock has to be pretty low right now.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#56 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

He was a first-rounder, I'm sure he'll get at least one more shot...but he's going to have to earn his spot. He'll need a strong camp...his stock has to be pretty low right now.

He needs to watch how Gionta played during the playoffs. He does not need to hit as much but he needs the speed in the defensive and offensive zone forechecking the hell out of the opposition. He has more skill than Gionta but he needs to play like him. He needs to be like Nathan Gerbe on Buffalo.

Edited by Zubie#8, 21 June 2012 - 09:31 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#57 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

He needs to watch how Gionta played during the playoffs. He does not need to hit as much but he needs the speed in the defensive and offensive zone forechecking the hell out of the opposition. He has more skill than Gionta but he needs to play like him. He needs to be like Nathan Gerbe on Buffalo.

Yea I was going to make the comparison myself. I'm pulling for him that's for sure.

815631765.gif

#58 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

I hope jagr goes back to the caps
Devils.

#59 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

Exactly, same thing with Martin. When Martin left Lou already had plans to sign Tallinder and Volchenkov. I trust Lou will make the right moves with or without Parise.

I trust that Lou will make the right moves, as well I just fear that there aren't any moves to make that will be strong enough to replace Zach. What I'm trying to say is that if Zach leaves, is there anything a GM, even a great one like Lou, can do to completely replace him this year?

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#60 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

I trust that Lou will make the right moves, as well I just fear that there aren't any moves to make that will be strong enough to replace Zach. What I'm trying to say is that if Zach leaves, is there anything a GM, even a great one like Lou, can do to completely replace him this year?

No doubt, you cannot replace a Zach Parise but we must secure our depth, I would love if our entire team is resigned.

I said this in many other threads, push hard for Parenteau if we do not get Zach. One of our weakneses is at right wing.

Edited by Zubie#8, 21 June 2012 - 11:14 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users