#1 montec24

montec24

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:56 AM

Link: http://www.nypost.co...I#ixzz1y7cwZn3F

Another article relying on speculation and his sources. Not contesting the fact that Bettman and the NHL would take over the team if Vanderbeek is unable to repay the lenders, but the way Kosman starts off the article is completely misleading, as is the headline. It starts off with this definitive statement:

Hockey is getting ready to freeze out New Jersey Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek.

But then Kosman goes into this, which contradicts the message he's sending with that first sentence. And continues on with other options JVB has at this time.

Vanderbeek is near a deal to sell a majority stake to a mystery investor, which would allow him to keep control of the Eastern Conference champions, one source said. The proceeds from a sale would be used to repay lenders much of the $77 million in past due debt.

Just another Monday morning.

Edited by montec24, 18 June 2012 - 02:02 AM.

#2 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

Nice timing by the Post as well before Free Agency.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#3 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,392 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

Nice timing by the Post as well before Free Agency.

Clearly timed that way and not the last we'll hear before July 1
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#4 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

well the word from people is we will hear good news today or tomorrow on finances. so post will choke on it once again.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#5 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

OK I do like the Post but the author of this article is really pissing me off. The worst part is that every time one of his stories appears in the paper it is reposted by every Rags fan I know with enormous glee.

I hope JVB can come through with a new ivenstor and he can shove these articles up that guys ass.

#6 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

If they were taken, they were already taken. Unless there was some technicality where the playoff windfall allowed them to pay off their debt to the league and bought them time. But if you took the team, why would you give it back. :lol:

#7 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

Wait, didn't this hack originally say the deadline was as soon as the finals were over, and now it's August 14th?
gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#8 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

well the word from people is we will hear good news today or tomorrow on finances. so post will choke on it once again.

Thats good news, and not that I am doubting, but what people? Or shall you not reveal your source?
Posted Image

#9 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

colin226? i believe is his handle here. he left a cryptic tweet saying he heard good news but can't share more. we'll see i guess.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#10 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

OK I do like the Post but the author of this article is really pissing me off. The worst part is that every time one of his stories appears in the paper it is reposted by every Rags fan I know with enormous glee.

I hope JVB can come through with a new ivenstor and he can shove these articles up that guys ass.

It's not only the Rags fans that pick it up and quote it as gospel. It's other media outlets, including the NHL's own radio network, that treat these stories as if the "unnamed source" providing the info is JVB himself. Stories like this are yet another example of why true "journalism" is dead.
Posted Image

#11 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

Tabloid strikes again, just trying to stir the pot

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#12 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

It looks like the Rangers and their fans are buying into the classic belief that if you can't beat 'em, hope they move so you don't have to play 'em.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#13 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,129 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

I immediately take exception with the 'money-losing franchise' part. We didnt 'lose' any money this year.

And what garbage is this:

'Thanks to their success on ice this year, when the team staged an upset win over the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference Championships, the Devils could go from losing $20 million in the regular season to almost breaking even next year, sources said.'

Edited by devlman, 18 June 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#14 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

I immediately take exception with the 'money-losing franchise' part. We didnt 'lose' any money this year.

And what garbage is this:

'Thanks to their success on ice this year, when the team staged an upset win over the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference Championships, the Devils could go from losing $20 million in the regular season to almost breaking even next year, sources said.'

Closet butthurt Rags fan/"journalist" is butthurt.

#15 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

If I can recall from the last lockout, get ready to hear a lot of news about how poor the financial shape is of the NHL between now and the end of the CBA fight.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#16 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

So the article says we are close to a minority investor but still the NHL wants to take it over. Why go through one if the other is a certainty? Why not just take it over now if they were going to instead of bringing in more people and headaches to deal with?

#17 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

So the article says we are close to a minority investor but still the NHL wants to take it over. Why go through one if the other is a certainty? Why not just take it over now if they were going to instead of bringing in more people and headaches to deal with?

For an article of that length it is still very unclear and unfocused. He starts out with the position that the NHL is going to take over the devils and then for the entire article he lists pretty much every scenario that can happen at this point. My guess is this way no matter what happens he can write a follow-up and claim he was right all along.

#18 montec24

montec24

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

NHL denies the report. But damage has already been done by the Post article.

http://www.usatoday....lans/55671186/1

#19 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,066 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

No damage has been done. This guy has had the story wrong pretty much all year. He's got some of the facts right but his spin on them is all wrong.

Nor do I think that an NHL takeover of the Devils would be that awful - I think the Devils would find a buyer pretty quickly. Vanderbeek's trouble with selling the other half of the team is that he's selling a non-controlling half.

Edited by Triumph, 18 June 2012 - 03:35 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#20 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

Now in SI

http://tracking.si.c...eff-vanderbeek/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users