52 replies to this topic

#21 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

NHL denies the report. But damage has already been done by the Post article.

http://www.usatoday....lans/55671186/1

Unfortunately, this does not do much to refute the Post story. Daly did not say that a league takeover isn't a possibility, just that it wasn't anticipated.

Really it comes down to who you believe more, Kosman or Vanderbeek. Sort of like trying to root for one side in the Iran/Iraq war.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#22 montec24

montec24

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

No damage has been done. This guy has had the story wrong pretty much all year. He's got some of the facts right but his spin on them is all wrong.

Nor do I think that an NHL takeover of the Devils would be that awful - I think the Devils would find a buyer pretty quickly. Vanderbeek's trouble with selling the other half of the team is that he's selling a non-controlling half.

By damage I'm referring to public perception from hockey fans more than anything. Doubting this will affect Vanderbeek's efforts to find an investor or work on refinancing, but its frustrating to see the posts on other boards, puck daddy, etc.

Edited by montec24, 18 June 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#23 brodeur14301991

brodeur14301991

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

"For those asking about Devils' ownership situation. Nothing has changed. When there are facts to report, I will report them." TG essentially calling B.S. on the Post which we already knew

https://twitter.com/#!/TGfireandice

#24 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

It is amazing how few news outlets do their own investigations and simply regurgitate the same scandelous story and hide behind the fact that they report the original author as the source of the baseless and incorrect information they are perpetuating.
Posted Image

#25 jkrdevil

jkrdevil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

It is a no news story. Basically if Vanderbeek's mystery buyer doesn't work out then the league will take over for next year while the team gets sold. I could have told you that months ago with no inside info. Any one who knows how leagues operate in situations like this knew that.

The situation is the same as it was yesterday.

BTW, I'm going to guess Kosman's source is someone who wants to buy the team outright from Vanderbeek (leaving him out) through bankruptcy. Seems to be the case because of the timing of the article's. Kind of similar to when the Globe and Mail was reporting on the Coyotes stuff (and before that their reporting on the Predators). Turned out the source there was Balsillie and his lawyer trying to chill the process by timely leaks.

#26 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:44 AM

No damage has been done. This guy has had the story wrong pretty much all year. He's got some of the facts right but his spin on them is all wrong.

Nor do I think that an NHL takeover of the Devils would be that awful - I think the Devils would find a buyer pretty quickly. Vanderbeek's trouble with selling the other half of the team is that he's selling a non-controlling half.

Exactly correct who wants to buy a team that is on the verge of bankruptcy and allow the guy that got them into this mess to continue with the only controlling interest. Not many investor I know would throw bad money after bad. Unless there is a tax write off and in today's talk about reforming the tax code that's a risk not to take until the changes settle. I suspect that there isn't a buyer in the wings willing to go it with Vanderbeek. They are just trying to keep the vultures away before they strike with bankruptcy procedures. IMO this is the reason that Parise won't sign with the Devils.

#27 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

Exactly correct who wants to buy a team that is on the verge of bankruptcy and allow the guy that got them into this mess to continue with the only controlling interest. Not many investor I know would throw bad money after bad. Unless there is a tax write off and in today's talk about reforming the tax code that's a risk not to take until the changes settle. I suspect that there isn't a buyer in the wings willing to go it with Vanderbeek. They are just trying to keep the vultures away before they strike with bankruptcy procedures. IMO this is the reason that Parise won't sign with the Devils.

Couple of reasons it might make sense. New investor could have a deal where he's putting up less to eventually get a controlling share if the team defaults, I.e. he's actually purchasing the debt for less than it's worth. The other advantage is that the sale or whatever it is doesn't have to be approved by a bankruptcy judge.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#28 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

The only mess JVB got the Devils into was a ton of arena debt - which we needed. Dont think any investors will mind JVB staying on. Hes done a good job.

#29 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

The only mess JVB got the Devils into was a ton of arena debt - which we needed. Dont think any investors will mind JVB staying on. Hes done a good job.

Sorry I can't agree. The club has been steadily losing money and the arena is bleeding. The financial worth of the package is less than the total debt. How good a job is that?

#30 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

I thought this comment under one of the articles in the Fire & Ice Blog was telling. In response to a question about the NYP article:

Did you guys actually waste your time talking about that story today?

If there was something worth responding to/working on, I would have.

I don’t waste my time chasing and responding to stories like that. By even writing a word about it, you give the story more credibility than it deserves.

Posted by Tom Gulitti on 06/18 at 07:57 PM

Just goes to prove it's sensationalist horesh!t from New York City's top toilet paper manufacturer.

Oh, and journalism is dead.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#31 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,561 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

TG has been really forthright about what he thinks the source of all those stories are and how totally bullsh!t he thinks it is.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#32 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

TG has been really forthright about what he thinks the source of all those stories are and how totally bullsh!t he thinks it is.

It is an absolute joke. Why even bother getting a degree in journalism when you can work for the Post.

Edited by Zubie#8, 19 June 2012 - 11:58 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#33 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

Sorry I can't agree. The club has been steadily losing money and the arena is bleeding. The financial worth of the package is less than the total debt. How good a job is that?

How is that his fault?

#34 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

Oh, and journalism is dead.

The yellow kind is alive and well.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#35 gata

gata

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

Now a days they try to make an cheap rumor a story. I'm not surprised at all.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#36 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

I am of a frame of mind to ban any future threads about finances if the source is the baseless Post. When you have reporters and the NHL itself saying there is no reason for the story it is worse than a false player movement thread.

I feel like it cheapens the franchise of the Devils for no reason and it is vindictiveness from the NY media.

#37 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

I am of a frame of mind to ban any future threads about finances if the source is the baseless Post. When you have reporters and the NHL itself saying there is no reason for the story it is worse than a false player movement thread.

I feel like it cheapens the franchise of the Devils for no reason and it is vindictiveness from the NY media.

+1

But I do like ranting about how much we hate the post. Banning baseless spite from the post would be like banning idle speculation by Єklund (2.3% accurate).

Edited by mouse, 20 June 2012 - 11:19 AM.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#38 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:10 AM

http://www.kuklaskor..._medium=twitter

Looks promising to me.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#39 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/devils_financial_outlook_may_be_improving/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Looks promising to me.

Have to trust New York Times writers over the Post :dance: Should be an interesting couple of months ahead of us with all of the free agents and the ownership situation.

http://www.nytimes.c...stors.html?_r=2

Edited by Zubie#8, 21 June 2012 - 07:32 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#40 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,561 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

That NY Times article has more evidence of this impending sale than all the 'Devils are bankrupt' articles in the Post combined. Although the Post articles have lots of hearsay and conjecture, those are kinds of evidence.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users