Devils 1st Round Selection Stefan Matteau

thefiestygoat

Worst case scenario he busts and we never sign him. Then he signs with NYR and he just explodes and becomes a complete nightmare goal scorer in the league and in one game he hits Kovalchuk cleanly giving him a career ending concussion. Thats worst case. :unsure:

Edited by Mayday

Worst case scenario he busts and we never sign him. Then he signs with NYR and he just explodes and becomes a complete nightmare goal scorer in the league and in one game he hits Kovalchuk cleanly giving him a career ending concussion. Thats worst case. :unsure:

... And ends a devils postseason in the same fashion as his father... That's the worst case

... And ends a devils postseason in the same fashion as his father... That's the worst case

No it could be worse. He could do all of those things, and then later in life buy the Devils and run them into the ground and relocate the team. And then a few years later Earth gets nailed by a giant meteor and humanity comes to an end. That would be quite worse.

based on the kind of player he his... i read he's taking lots of stupid penalties... worst case would be that we're again in the stanley cup final in a crucial game and that he's nailing someone from behind and that the other team score another 3 goals on their PP...

and then we would be like... godamnit we should have forfeit that pick in 2012...

also... we can't troll the rangers THAT MUCH with that pick, they could have picked him he was right there for them and they didnt pick him with a late round puck so they just didnt want him

based on the kind of player he his... i read he's taking lots of stupid penalties... worst case would be that we're again in the stanley cup final in a crucial game and that he's nailing someone from behind and that the other team score another 3 goals on their PP...

and then we would be like... godamnit we should have forfeit that pick in 2012...

also... we can't troll the rangers THAT MUCH with that pick, they could have picked him he was right there for them and they didnt pick him with a late round puck so they just didnt want him

That is even more reason to troll them if he does pan out. The Rangers also just didn't want Parise and took Hugh Jessiman instead.

Everybody who talks about the Rags rivalry from out of town always qualifies their statement with this, but seeing and interacting with Rangers fans every day is one of the main things that fuels the rivalry. You can't just take out one of the main parts of the rivalry and then assume that you understand it as well as those who have to live amongst Rags fans. I love all of our out of town posters, but without actually living in the NY/NJ area, it's tough to completely understand why Devils fans hate the Rags so much.

And what you don't think anyone from out of town has experience with other rivalries from other major sports to not understand?

No one is trying to erase history, bit it would seem fairly stupid if someone got upset over a rag fan taunting them over 1994 when you can kill any of that sh!t with the simple phrase "3 cups since 94 a$$hole" or just chanting "Henrique" over and over at them.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty disappointed they didn't go for Frk. It would have been a gift at 29. I like the pick anyway, though.

I think the fact that he was passed on 20 times after our pick shows that maybe he wouldn't have been such a gift at 29.

Aside from durability worries, scouts and analysts point to his skating game as under-developed. While his lateral agility is decent, his acceleration and speed both are substandard for a prospect of his level. Coming off his concussion there were conditioning issues and questions about his commitment to healthy habits.

Furthermore, some find his overall offensive game to be substandard. His distribution/playmaking capabilities are wanting and he seems to have poor offensive acumen/hockey IQ. Frustrating fans and coaches alike with his under-utilization of teammates and frequent unnecessary turnovers, Frk will be a project for whoever drafts him.

From nhlmockdraft.org

No it could be worse. He could do all of those things, and then later in life buy the Devils and run them into the ground and relocate the team. And then a few years later Earth gets nailed by a giant meteor and humanity comes to an end. That would be quite worse.

Fine by me if the first thought came to process. If so:

farnsworth-310x175.png

Safe pick with underrated upside. If his offense can translate to 2nd line numbers this will be a massive coupe. He is strong and physical enough that he should be very strong along the boards and be a pain in the side of the opposition. Even as a 20/30 player with excellent board play, physical game and net presence you have yourself another Zubrus.

Safe pick with underrated upside. If his offense can translate to 2nd line numbers this will be a massive coupe. He is strong and physical enough that he should be very strong along the boards and be a pain in the side of the opposition. Even as a 20/30 player with excellent board play, physical game and net presence you have yourself another Zubrus.

I thought the most telling quote from Conte was "I wish everybody was Dainius Zubrus. Dainius Zubrus, if he could last for 50 years that would be great."

I want a point + some left over for Matteau in the Q this year.

I thought the most telling quote from Conte was "I wish everybody was Dainius Zubrus. Dainius Zubrus, if he could last for 50 years that would be great."

I want a point + some left over for Matteau in the Q this year.

i knew you'd love that quote. then again, if we had a team of zubruses, nobody would score. he's a scout's dream and the type of guy every good team needs. but you still need the aces.

i knew you'd love that quote. then again, if we had a team of zubruses, nobody would score. he's a scout's dream and the type of guy every good team needs. but you still need the aces.

No one would score from the other team either. The Devils team of Zubruses would just endlessly cycle the puck in the other team's offensive zone.

The tellingness of that quote wasn't just in the fact that I like Zubrus and have since before he was a Devil, it's that the organization clearly recognizes this is one thing that they don't have AT ALL in their system. Not only do they not have it, they haven't had it for ages, which is probably part of why Zubrus was offered a 6 year contract - they didn't have it in 2007 either.

No one would score from the other team either. The Devils team of Zubruses would just endlessly cycle the puck in the other team's offensive zone.

The tellingness of that quote wasn't just in the fact that I like Zubrus and have since before he was a Devil, it's that the organization clearly recognizes this is one thing that they don't have AT ALL in their system. Not only do they not have it, they haven't had it for ages, which is probably part of why Zubrus was offered a 6 year contract - they didn't have it in 2007 either.

Zubi* :giggle:

• Like 1

Everybody who talks about the Rags rivalry from out of town always qualifies their statement with this, but seeing and interacting with Rangers fans every day is one of the main things that fuels the rivalry. You can't just take out one of the main parts of the rivalry and then assume that you understand it as well as those who have to live amongst Rags fans. I love all of our out of town posters, but without actually living in the NY/NJ area, it's tough to completely understand why Devils fans hate the Rags so much.

I don't claim to feel the rivalry as strongly as you local folks (though, you can trust me, I'm VERY passionate about the whole thing, probably even more passionate than I am about rivalries of my favourite local sports teams... Internet is my only medium here, unfortunately, but I've read my share of idiotic comments from Rangers fans and also had a fair share of arguments). Chimaira stated my point perfectly:

And what you don't think anyone from out of town has experience with other rivalries from other major sports to not understand?

No one is trying to erase history, bit it would seem fairly stupid if someone got upset over a rag fan taunting them over 1994 when you can kill any of that sh!t with the simple phrase "3 cups since 94 a$$hole" or just chanting "Henrique" over and over at them.

That's exactly what I mean here. We have all the arguments in our hands now, the only thing we have to do is... respond instead of feeling insecure and offended. We have absolutely no reason to. You think the loss didn't sting them this year? It must have been their toughest defeat in at least 15 years (when they lost the Conference Finals to Philly). You should really take advantage of that. If shouting "94" is still all that it takes to silence you, then I don't know what the Devils have to do to make you feel more confident. I hope you guys silence any morons that still talk sh!t about the Devils. Cheers. :)

This made me chuckle a little.

That's just epic, we should totally flood YouTube with this and troll Rangers fans to death! :D

nhl is considering changing some rules after the devils' zubrus offense forced all opponents to forfeit and go home.

The new rule places additional trapezoids along the boards where Zubrai (plural of Zubrus) are not allowed to play the puck.

Haha, that is exactly what I thought when I saw the tweet.