184 replies to this topic

#121 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

After beating the tags like we did this year, their fans have no ground to talk sh!t. However that won't prevent them from doing so.

In other words, nothing has changed.

#122 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

ok now, enough with the "youre not worthy of being a fan of this team if you dont trust Lou" attitude here. I'm not just gonna get on my knees kissing his ass pretending the guy is perfect and that every single decisions he made was a good decision. Of course i trust him and he made some GREAT things through the years but he also made some pretty bad decisions too and im not gonna close my eyes on that pretending it never happened or that he cant make any more bad decisions.

since the Nierdermayer first round pick pick... Jason Smith "92, Denis Pederson '93, Vadim Sharifijanov '94, Lance Ward '96, Jean-Francois Damphousse '97, Mike Van Ryn '98, Ari Ahonen '99, David Hale '00, Adrian Foster '01, Nicklas Bergfors '05, Matt Corrente '06, Mattias Tedenby '08..... What happened to ALL those first rounders ?

actually it would have been easier to name the good first round pick since nierdermayer... Sykora, Parise, Zajac, Josefson... and god knows if Merrill will be a good pick and Larsson was a no brainer...

Again im not saying Lou is not doing a great job or that i'd do a better job... but people need to start giving sh!t to fans for doubting him once in awhile... Lou and Conte FAILED pretty damn often in the first round

No one questioned your fandom. I said that between then interviewing him numerous times and turning down montreal's offer, they had to have seen something they liked. The devils have drafted pretty well the last couple of years. I really don't think they would have kept the pick if they didn't feel it was worth it. Let's atleast see the kid at prospect camp first.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#123 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

This is going to be a hard prospect to project. He is only 18 and will enter the Q next year. He has some temper and discipline issues but that can be fixed. If anything his temper is good because we lack forwards with a real edge. The last thing we need him to do though is pull a Cormier.

If he is developed correctly he could be at best a second line winger. A safe projection would be third line winger.

#124 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

I'm not so mad in the pick itself, as I am in the sheer (non)necessity of it. We have the 29th pick - the only way we can get any lower is by winning the cup itself. I know we all think we're gonna win the cup every year, but in all honesty will likely have a higher draft position in the next two years. When Lou & Co decided to keep the pick this year, I thought it was because they had a very special or needed player in mind, or they were planning on trading up. In essence, I assumed there was a REAL reason to keep that pick.

This.^ I honestly thought that Lou and company was going to trade up when Forsberg was getting passed on or even Teravainen. I guess it isn't disappointment in the pick rather the lack of a move I was so convinced was going to happen. I am kind of worried this kid might just be Mike Rupp 2.0 or something.

Edited by NJDevils1214, 23 June 2012 - 12:02 PM.

815631765.gif

#125 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

since the Nierdermayer first round pick pick... Jason Smith "92, Denis Pederson '93, Vadim Sharifijanov '94, Lance Ward '96, Jean-Francois Damphousse '97, Mike Van Ryn '98, Ari Ahonen '99, David Hale '00, Adrian Foster '01, Nicklas Bergfors '05, Matt Corrente '06, Mattias Tedenby '08..... What happened to ALL those first rounders ?

actually it would have been easier to name the good first round pick since nierdermayer... Sykora, Parise, Zajac, Josefson... and god knows if Merrill will be a good pick and Larsson was a no brainer...

The Red Wings have had about the same amount of success with their first picks since '94.

The Devils "busts", so to speak, are a product of them drafting at the bottom of the first round virtually every year. Lance Ward was the number 10 pick in perhaps the worst draft in NHL history.

What you really should be asking is who the Devils passed over to select those busts (not drafting Pavel Datsyuk doesn't count)? Very, very few who turned out to be good.

Want to talk about a bad drafting team. Take a look at the Ranger first rounders from 1992 to 2004.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#126 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

Relax, you loonies!! We'll trade him to the Rags for their best player. They're crazy like that. The fans will be tormenting the management for that trade. :rolleyes:

#127 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Worst case scenario he busts and we never sign him. Then he signs with NYR and he just explodes and becomes a complete nightmare goal scorer in the league and in one game he hits Kovalchuk cleanly giving him a career ending concussion. Thats worst case. :unsure:

Edited by Mayday, 23 June 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#128 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

Worst case scenario he busts and we never sign him. Then he signs with NYR and he just explodes and becomes a complete nightmare goal scorer in the league and in one game he hits Kovalchuk cleanly giving him a career ending concussion. Thats worst case. :unsure:

... And ends a devils postseason in the same fashion as his father... That's the worst case

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#129 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

... And ends a devils postseason in the same fashion as his father... That's the worst case

No it could be worse. He could do all of those things, and then later in life buy the Devils and run them into the ground and relocate the team. And then a few years later Earth gets nailed by a giant meteor and humanity comes to an end. That would be quite worse.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#130 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

based on the kind of player he his... i read he's taking lots of stupid penalties... worst case would be that we're again in the stanley cup final in a crucial game and that he's nailing someone from behind and that the other team score another 3 goals on their PP...

and then we would be like... godamnit we should have forfeit that pick in 2012...

also... we can't troll the rangers THAT MUCH with that pick, they could have picked him he was right there for them and they didnt pick him with a late round puck so they just didnt want him

www.SterioDesign.com

#131 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

based on the kind of player he his... i read he's taking lots of stupid penalties... worst case would be that we're again in the stanley cup final in a crucial game and that he's nailing someone from behind and that the other team score another 3 goals on their PP...

and then we would be like... godamnit we should have forfeit that pick in 2012...

also... we can't troll the rangers THAT MUCH with that pick, they could have picked him he was right there for them and they didnt pick him with a late round puck so they just didnt want him

That is even more reason to troll them if he does pan out. The Rangers also just didn't want Parise and took Hugh Jessiman instead.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#132 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

This made me chuckle a little.

Edited by GoArmySports, 23 June 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#133 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

its quite clear from Conte's interview with TG that if either of the goalies were there, the Devils would have taken either before Matteau. They're happy with him it would appear but the idea that they weren't taken a goalie was clearly wrong.<br>

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#134 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

Posted Image Oh Lou.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#135 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty disappointed they didn't go for Frk. It would have been a gift at 29. I like the pick anyway, though.

#136 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

Everybody who talks about the Rags rivalry from out of town always qualifies their statement with this, but seeing and interacting with Rangers fans every day is one of the main things that fuels the rivalry. You can't just take out one of the main parts of the rivalry and then assume that you understand it as well as those who have to live amongst Rags fans. I love all of our out of town posters, but without actually living in the NY/NJ area, it's tough to completely understand why Devils fans hate the Rags so much.

And what you don't think anyone from out of town has experience with other rivalries from other major sports to not understand?

No one is trying to erase history, bit it would seem fairly stupid if someone got upset over a rag fan taunting them over 1994 when you can kill any of that sh!t with the simple phrase "3 cups since 94 a$$hole" or just chanting "Henrique" over and over at them.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#137 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty disappointed they didn't go for Frk. It would have been a gift at 29. I like the pick anyway, though.

I think the fact that he was passed on 20 times after our pick shows that maybe he wouldn't have been such a gift at 29.

Aside from durability worries, scouts and analysts point to his skating game as under-developed. While his lateral agility is decent, his acceleration and speed both are substandard for a prospect of his level. Coming off his concussion there were conditioning issues and questions about his commitment to healthy habits.

Furthermore, some find his overall offensive game to be substandard. His distribution/playmaking capabilities are wanting and he seems to have poor offensive acumen/hockey IQ. Frustrating fans and coaches alike with his under-utilization of teammates and frequent unnecessary turnovers, Frk will be a project for whoever drafts him.

From nhlmockdraft.org
--John Buccigross

#138 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

I would have like them to take Malcolm Subban.
Posted Image Posted Image

#139 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

I would have like them to take Malcolm Subban.

Me too but the Bruins took him before we had a chance.
--John Buccigross

#140 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

This made me chuckle a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcjc0kfX0BI&feature=related

That is hilarious. Perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic