43 replies to this topic

#21 CaptainScotty

CaptainScotty

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:46 PM

From the playoffs I saw, the Flames definitely deserved it, much more so in my opinion than Tampa which coasted for long stretches. The Flames skated their asses off every shift, and they played all those games, dug down deep against the wings, canucks, and sharks. It would seriously have been a hollywood ending. A bunch of partts being led by iginla to a cup (sound familiar?).

I swear, if it was detroit, colorado, maybe even sj, tampa would not have stood a chance. There were gaping holes in their defense, i am still aghast that calgary could not convert on their myriad chances. The lightning potted their chances at a much much higher percentage. No doubt Richards was on.

The lightning? No I dont think they deserved that cup. In what series did they face adversity? At least the devils last year had to knock off Ottawa. what did tampa do? the flyers? with esche in goal? Not like they finished with a low seed or anything either... if the flames had at least one other player other than iginla of richards, lecavalier, or stlouis caliber, they would have wrapped this one up.

And these 22,000 fans spring up out of nowhere. Calgary definitely deserved better.

I'm not saying Tampa didnt deserve the cup, they did their jobs. Calgary just deserved it more. But thats reality.

#22 TK

TK

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:57 PM

The lightning? No I dont think they deserved that cup.

I'm not saying Tampa didnt deserve the cup,

Make up your freakin mind

#23 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:58 PM

I'm not saying Tampa didnt deserve the cup, they did their jobs.

:unsure:
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#24 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:58 PM

I'm not saying Tampa didnt deserve the cup,

Make up your freakin mind

:lol:
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#25 Elias Sports Bureau

Elias Sports Bureau

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:31 PM

This won't come as a surprise to anyone but... (generous) 20,000 estimated at winning team's parade... (i didn't see footage so i can't call it generous or not, but still much more) 30,000 estimated at losing team's rally.

That conversion rate is a beeyotch!
Keeper of Patrik Elias, Alexander Mogilny and njdevs.com Keepers

"We've let the fans down. People pay good money and they've always had pride in the Devils." -- Scott Gomez

#26 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:33 PM

I would have rathered Calgary win the cup but Tampa is represented by a good group of guys. Calgary will have a good team in the future. I don't think I can say the same for Tampa. I know they have a young core of forwards but in nets and defense will be a question mark in the future. After Khabi moves on.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#27 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,126 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:33 PM

You know if you put the rally at 5 or somehting I am sure there would have been twice as many people in Calgary.

20,000 for Tampa proves not many fans care that much.

Edited by devilsrule33, 09 June 2004 - 10:44 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#28 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:36 PM

I couldn't imagine how crazy Toronto would get if they won the cup. That would be the biggest celebration in Canadian History IMHO.

#29 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:42 PM

I was glancing through tsn.ca this morning and read some comments that just make my stomach turn...listen to a sample of these comments:

1. "Well I do hope the United States is happy. The league wastes so much time selling the game there, that they forget that true fans belong in Canada. But no, we have to always please other countries. Canada is and will always be the Best Hockey Nation around. A Stanley Cup Parade in Tampa? Something wrong with the sound of that"

I mean *no* offense to our Canadian fans/friends but this is bullsh!t. Make your own fecking league then and stop bitching about how the game, Cup and teams all rightfully belong to Canada. Tampa had the drive to win and did. Good for them, well deserved and I was glad to see Andreychuk raise it.
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#30 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:48 PM

Not all canadian fans are like that, many of us are pissed that economics have prevented us from keeping a decent number of teams and that big market teams in the USA drive up player value not allowing us to keep players like Weight, Fleury, Bure ect.

#31 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:53 PM

Not all canadian fans are like that, many of us are pissed that economics have prevented us from keeping a decent number of teams and that big market teams in the USA drive up player value not allowing us to keep players like Weight, Fleury, Bure ect.

That is true, but one thing too: Tampa is not one of those big market teams by any stretch of the imagination....

Toronto has played their hand in the ri$e of salaries too...which is why I do find it rather comical when Leaf$ fans moan about $ when taking about other teams like the Yankees as an example..

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#32 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 11:18 PM

Like I said in another thread... You don't deserve a cup... you win it.
Posted Image

#33 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 11:53 PM

It's amazing Calgary came so close to winning it. They had several key players out such as Reinprecht, Lombardi, Gauthier and some other decent scorer up front that I can't think of. Sutter really got everything he could out of who he had. It's one of the most impressive coaching jobs I have ever seen. But saying Tampa didn't deserve it is ridiculous. They adjusted their style to win the final two rounds. And they had adversity against Philly and Calgary. If going to two do-or-die Game Sevens isn't tough, I don't know what is. They were pushed and cameback. They were a fun team to watch and turned up the volume to win. They earned it.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#34 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 11:55 PM

They'll be bringing up the non-goal cost the Cup for some time to come.
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#35 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:01 AM

some other decent scorer up front that I can't think of.

McAmmond?
Posted Image

#36 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:25 AM

They'll be bringing up the non-goal cost the Cup for some time to come.

Whatever. It's not nearly as obvious as the skate-in-the-crease. It's not a clear call at all.
Posted Image

#37 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:27 AM

some other decent scorer up front that I can't think of.

McAmmond?

That's the guy Puddy! Thanks.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#38 Leafs_whine_2_much

Leafs_whine_2_much

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:27 AM

"Well I do hope the United States is happy. The league wastes so much time selling the game there, that they forget that true fans belong in Canada. But no, we have to always please other countries. Canada is and will always be the Best Hockey Nation around. A Stanley Cup Parade in Tampa? Something wrong with the sound of that"

What a dumb comment... :puke:

TB was the better team. TB won it. TB earned it. TB deserved it. End of debate. I'm very happy for Andreychuk.

Wow Legend Of the Clown Banner, we agree on everything, it seems.. :o :o :hail:

Edited by Leafs_whine_2_much, 10 June 2004 - 12:28 AM.

Get well soon, Burns!!!
"Don't worry, "your" Leafs will come through Posted Image ...HNIT (Hockey Night in Toronto) needs them to win.... Although if they lose, we'll hear excerpts from the book "101 ways to bitch about the Maple Leaf$ lo$$", narrated by Mr Leaf himself, Don Cherry" - Legend Of the Clown Banner

--------------------
Leafs whine too much. So do the Lakers. Both suck. ANYONE but the Leafs and the Lakers! Posted Image

#39 Elias Sports Bureau

Elias Sports Bureau

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:55 AM

What a dumb comment...  :puke:

TB was the better team. TB won it. TB earned it. TB deserved it. End of debate. I'm very happy for Andreychuk.

Wow Legend Of the Clown Banner, we agree on everything, it seems..  :o   :o   :hail:

Well I think we all agree on those statements... did they think they were going to be handed the Cup because they're from Canada? How ridiculous. They think everyone in the U.S. was thrilled about who won? Once again they're wrong, there were legions of people rooting for the Flames. But it's the everyone-against-us mentality that Whine Gretzky perfected.

But most of all, more than half the Lightning WILL BE BRINGING THE CUP UP THERE anyway. It'll certainly spend more time up there than down in Florida.

They sound totally ridiculous with bull like that. They trivialize everything everyone went through. And they make it a helluva lot easier to accept an outcome that I didn't want to see happen in the first place.

And don't you DARE TELL US, that only diehards are up there. We cry over the team down here, we sweat bullets over preseason games, we get ulcers with seven-game series, we let stupidstitions drive us up the wall. How DARE you say that you are better fans? Because if you can't respect the process by which it was won, YOU AREN'T!!!!!

Edited by Elias Sports Bureau, 10 June 2004 - 12:57 AM.

Keeper of Patrik Elias, Alexander Mogilny and njdevs.com Keepers

"We've let the fans down. People pay good money and they've always had pride in the Devils." -- Scott Gomez

#40 FunkyBlueFish203

FunkyBlueFish203

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 05:37 AM

About 30,000 people showing up for Calgary's parade, my friend, who is an Oilers fan said, "All that demonstrates is that Calgarians don't need much of an excuse to skip work and go get hammered in the middle of the day." :lol:

Anyway. I believe 20,000 people showed up for the Devils parking lot parade last year. The Ducks had a parade for their team and 5000 people showed up. When the Red Wings won in 2002, 2 million people came for the parade.

Why does it matter how many fans come to the parade? When the team wins, fans are happy. Some go to the parade, some don't. Big deal. Nothing can change that fact that Team A won the Cup and Team B didn't.

And no teams fans can be die hard enough to have their team "deserve" the Cup. If the team wins, they'll have won it, there is no deserving the Cup or whatever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users