Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

Triumph

With Marty it's not about hockey, it's about emotion and loyalty. If you can't risk overpaying him for one year at the back end of his career after all he's done for us on the ice with all the money he's saved us off the ice, then you don't deserve any loyalty from the next guy. We want the players to be loyal but we don't give a **** about being loyal to them. It ain't a one-way street.

But hockeywise yeah he had a good second half and playoffs, maybe he keeps it up next year, maybe he doesn't, but I'd rather him and Hedberg in net next year than two kids that aren't ready, or scrubs like Cristobal Huet.

If we lose Zach and sign Marty we'll be okay. If we lose both, we'll still be okay even as a cap team. These are probably the two most likely scenarios.

I mean Marty was a big part in our run this season, but guys like Carter, Bernier, Gionta, those 500,000 contracts, are just as responsible for our success just as much if not more than Zach and Marty. Look how many times those guys came up big against FLA and NYR when Marty was swiss cheese and Zach was nowhere to be found.

Recall our 07-08 team with no Scott Gomez and no Brian Rafalski. We still managed to stay competitive with guys like Arron Asham, Vishnevski and the like. Next year's club, sans Parise and Brodeur, is still better than the 07-08 squad.

With Marty it's not about hockey, it's about emotion and loyalty. If you can't risk overpaying him for one year at the back end of his career after all he's done for us on the ice with all the money he's saved us off the ice, then you don't deserve any loyalty from the next guy. We want the players to be loyal but we don't give a **** about being loyal to them. It ain't a one-way street.

But hockeywise yeah he had a good second half and playoffs, maybe he keeps it up next year, maybe he doesn't, but I'd rather him and Hedberg in net next year than two kids that aren't ready, or scrubs like Cristobal Huet.

If we lose Zach and sign Marty we'll be okay. If we lose both, we'll still be okay even as a cap team. These are probably the two most likely scenarios.

I mean Marty was a big part in our run this season, but guys like Carter, Bernier, Gionta, those 500,000 contracts, are just as responsible for our success just as much if not more than Zach and Marty. Look how many times those guys came up big against FLA and NYR when Marty was swiss cheese and Zach was nowhere to be found.

Recall our 07-08 team with no Scott Gomez and no Brian Rafalski. We still managed to stay competitive with guys like Arron Asham, Vishnevski and the like. Next year's club, sans Parise and Brodeur, is still better than the 07-08 squad.

If Marty goes to Toronto he would disapoint fans not only here but in montreal as well.

If Marty goes to Toronto I'm pretty sure Toronto fans will eventually be disappointed.

Thing about Marty leaving now is it just wouldnt be right. It'd be like Montana in a Chiefs jersey or Jordan with the Wizards. He's that type of guy in terms of what he's meant to his particular sport. That said, icons leave late in their careers as its been shown. It just would be nice to see him finish here and not in some other sweater where he'd clearly just be an attraction, even though his game has definitely slipped.

Right on Has. This is Marty. If he wants 2 years, give him 2 years. We'll deal with the potential consequences. He's meant everything to this franchise, and he's been the most loyal of loyal soldiers. Time to pay back some of that loyalty.

I understand what you and Has are saying, Marty's loyalty knows no bounds, but it all depends on just how dire the Devils finances are. It doesn't sound like they're in much of a position to hand out above-performance-value lifetime achievement contracts. If Marty has a full season like last seasons' first half and is getting roughly $5 million for it, it's going to get pretty rough. Not to mention this fanbase doesn't exactly shy away from jumping all over Marty...and Lou and Co. will pay back Marty plenty in other ways. Even if he goes to another team, the Devils aren't done with him.

I understand what you and Has are saying, Marty's loyalty knows no bounds, but it all depends on just how dire the Devils finances are. It doesn't sound like they're in much of a position to hand out above-performance-value lifetime achievement contracts. If Marty has a full season like last seasons' first half and is getting roughly $5 million for it, it's going to get pretty rough. Not to mention this fanbase doesn't exactly shy away from jumping all over Marty...and Lou and Co. will pay back Marty plenty in other ways. Even if he goes to another team, the Devils aren't done with him.

They have to spend almost ten million dollars on four players to get up to the floor, and one of those slots is on a backup goalie, another is on a third-line winger. If they don't have enough money to pay Marty then JVB really needs to get off the pot already and just declare bankruptcy. This wait isn't about paying Marty it's about how much of the pie he gets. Even Burke says he thinks Marty's going nowhere anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Brodeur's not a center or a defenseman. You can't pay a goalie a bunch of money when he's past his prime just because he was good once and he might've given the Devils a discount once upon a time. Bad goaltending sinks a season much quicker than anything else, as Devils fans have found out over the last two years.

Plenty of great players have finished their careers as back-pairing D or 4th line players. Goalies don't have that luxury - they are either starters, backups, or retired.

Edited by Triumph

I just wish that there were some sort of contingency plan with Brodeur...whether he comes back or not I'll be completely honest that a Brodeur/Hedberg tandem doesn't sound good for a year or worse yet for two. We'll see what happens...

Yeah and where are you getting good goaltending next year? It's not as if the Devils are passing on viable options. There are no better solutions than Marty or Hedberg in FA or the system for next year. Trade's the only other option and what are you getting besides Luuu, who's a far worse option cap-wise or Johnathan Bernier, who Dean wants a first-round pick for?

Yeah and where are you getting good goaltending next year? It's not as if the Devils are passing on viable options. There are no better solutions than Marty or Hedberg in FA or the system for next year. Trade's the only other option and what are you getting besides Luuu, who's a far worse option cap-wise or Johnathan Bernier, who Dean wants a first-round pick for?

Yeah that's the exact problem, you know you can't build a goaltending core through FA and the reason other goalies are being traded is because another team didn't want them to start for their team...so I don't want them to start for mine. Wedgewood is a good future option but can we rely on him to start in the NHL in 1-2 years? Not an envied position...

Well normally the goalie market isn't 'this' barren in FA, I mean if it wasn't for Marty being 'available', the best guy on the market would have been Hedberg :lol: And the highest-paid guy off the board today was Gustavsson (not counting Clemmensen or Biron who re-upped just before FA).

Edited by NJDevs4978

I don't know. But I don't consider Brodeur good goaltending, so they wouldn't be getting that with Brodeur, either.

What do you think of Hedberg being the starter with a young guy in the system backing up?

I like it. 35+ really won't matter with all the contracts coming off the books next year.

I don't know. But I don't consider Brodeur good goaltending, so they wouldn't be getting that with Brodeur, either.

:noclue:

28 goalies wish they played as long as Marty did this year, Tri.

Pay the NHL's all-time winningest goalie and the New Jersey Devils' all-time greatest player what he wants. He deserves it.

Hmm considering it's been widely speculated that Brodeur is going to be decided on once the Parise issue is settled, I wonder what this means in regards to that situation (if anything).

That's what worries me. I'm almost glad they did offer him two years just so this board can have a psychotic meltdown though. OH NOES we might have five million in dead cap space when we're forty million under next year!

Regardless of what happens with Zach, I'm just hope Marty takes it and ends his career here. I never want to see #30 in another damn jersey even if his play has gone down. It still means something whenever I see him in net.

Regardless of what happens with Zach, I'm just hope Marty takes it and ends his career here. I never want to see #30 in another damn jersey even if his play has gone down. It still means something whenever I see him in net.

+1000. The cap space is there. It won't hamstring the team. Imagine Brodeur in a Leaf or Blackhawk jersey. I never want to see it.