518 replies to this topic

#301 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

Would have been nice to know these terms a little earlier, now Gustavsson, Mason and even Clemmensen are already signed. In reality who is left out there thats a sure #1. Looks like someone said Moose may be back though...

I doubt we sign a free agent if Marty walks outside of Moose. Earlier it was said that teams were inquiring about him, but he basically told them he's in a holding pattern and wants to return here.

Moose returns and is the starter, we bring someone up from the farm or trade for a backup.

#302 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Wedgewood better hurry up and get moving soon 2-3 years he may be up for some on the job training if this keeps up lol

#303 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

Id give him 5 because its him and thats the only reason.

Fair enough. If we're rewarding Marty for the loyalty and what he has meant to the organization then 5 mil is a fair price.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#304 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

I'd go 4.5-5 for a year. I don't know why he would ask for a 2 year deal now. Let's just take it one year at a time at this point.

#305 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

I swear I saw something about Hedberg most likely coming back but now I can't find it. Anyone see anything on this or did I just imagine seeing that to ease the pain a little bit? lol

#306 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

I swear I saw something about Hedberg most likely coming back but now I can't find it. Anyone see anything on this or did I just imagine seeing that to ease the pain a little bit? lol

@KevinisInGoal
Appears Devils will keep a goalie ... Johan Hedberg intends to re-sign in New Jersey, according to a team that tried hard to sign UFA G

Kevin Woodley from NHL.com

and now more on Marty

@sroarke_nhl
Word coming frfom several TOR writers is that Leafs chatted with Brodeur but have expectation that Brodeur will remain with NJD #wow

#307 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

@KevinisInGoal
Appears Devils will keep a goalie ... Johan Hedberg intends to re-sign in New Jersey, according to a team that tried hard to sign UFA G

Kevin Woodley from NHL.com

and now more on Marty

@sroarke_nhl
Word coming frfom several TOR writers is that Leafs chatted with Brodeur but have expectation that Brodeur will remain with NJD #wow

Yup that's the one. Thanks man

#308 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Well the Devils will officially be in tatters for the rest of their franchise career if Parise and Brodeur leave.
I mean who else do we have? No one will ever match the .908 sv% Marty put up or the 68 points Zach put up last season! :rolleyes:

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#309 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Well the Devils will officially be in tatters for the rest of their franchise career if Parise and Brodeur leave.
I mean who else do we have? No one will ever match the .908 sv% Marty put up or the 68 points Zach put up last season! :rolleyes:

I know I don't post on here very much, but I sensed some sarcasm there...

#310 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,445 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

With Marty it's not about hockey, it's about emotion and loyalty. If you can't risk overpaying him for one year at the back end of his career after all he's done for us on the ice with all the money he's saved us off the ice, then you don't deserve any loyalty from the next guy. We want the players to be loyal but we don't give a **** about being loyal to them. It ain't a one-way street.

But hockeywise yeah he had a good second half and playoffs, maybe he keeps it up next year, maybe he doesn't, but I'd rather him and Hedberg in net next year than two kids that aren't ready, or scrubs like Cristobal Huet.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#311 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,184 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

With Marty it's not about hockey, it's about emotion and loyalty. If you can't risk overpaying him for one year at the back end of his career after all he's done for us on the ice with all the money he's saved us off the ice, then you don't deserve any loyalty from the next guy. We want the players to be loyal but we don't give a **** about being loyal to them. It ain't a one-way street.

But hockeywise yeah he had a good second half and playoffs, maybe he keeps it up next year, maybe he doesn't, but I'd rather him and Hedberg in net next year than two kids that aren't ready, or scrubs like Cristobal Huet.

I agree with this entire post.

#312 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,343 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

Right on Has. This is Marty. If he wants 2 years, give him 2 years. We'll deal with the potential consequences. He's meant everything to this franchise, and he's been the most loyal of loyal soldiers. Time to pay back some of that loyalty.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#313 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

If Marty goes to Toronto he would disapoint fans not only here but in montreal as well.

n2eg.jpg

#314 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

Life is due to go on without Marty before too much longer anyway. I'll always appreciate everything last thing he's done, and I'll never have a bad word to say about his Devil career, but the last two regular seasons have been inconsistent...23-26-3 with a 2.45 GAA and .903 save%, and 31-21-4 with a 2.41 GAA and .908 save%. At times he's looked much like the old Marty, and other times has just looked plain old. The Devils won't be losing the 30-year-old in his prime Marty, they'll be losing the 40-year-old Marty. Big difference, to say the least. I will miss him along with most Devil fans if he goes, but life for this franchise will go on...the inevitable is clearly imminent, whether Marty stays or not.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#315 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

If we lose Zach and sign Marty we'll be okay. If we lose both, we'll still be okay even as a cap team. These are probably the two most likely scenarios.
I mean Marty was a big part in our run this season, but guys like Carter, Bernier, Gionta, those 500,000 contracts, are just as responsible for our success just as much if not more than Zach and Marty. Look how many times those guys came up big against FLA and NYR when Marty was swiss cheese and Zach was nowhere to be found.
Recall our 07-08 team with no Scott Gomez and no Brian Rafalski. We still managed to stay competitive with guys like Arron Asham, Vishnevski and the like. Next year's club, sans Parise and Brodeur, is still better than the 07-08 squad.

If we lose Zach and sign Marty we'll be okay. If we lose both, we'll still be okay even as a cap team. These are probably the two most likely scenarios.
I mean Marty was a big part in our run this season, but guys like Carter, Bernier, Gionta, those 500,000 contracts, are just as responsible for our success just as much if not more than Zach and Marty. Look how many times those guys came up big against FLA and NYR when Marty was swiss cheese and Zach was nowhere to be found.
Recall our 07-08 team with no Scott Gomez and no Brian Rafalski. We still managed to stay competitive with guys like Arron Asham, Vishnevski and the like. Next year's club, sans Parise and Brodeur, is still better than the 07-08 squad.

If Marty goes to Toronto he would disapoint fans not only here but in montreal as well.

If Marty goes to Toronto I'm pretty sure Toronto fans will eventually be disappointed.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#316 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

Thing about Marty leaving now is it just wouldnt be right. It'd be like Montana in a Chiefs jersey or Jordan with the Wizards. He's that type of guy in terms of what he's meant to his particular sport. That said, icons leave late in their careers as its been shown. It just would be nice to see him finish here and not in some other sweater where he'd clearly just be an attraction, even though his game has definitely slipped.

#317 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

Uh yeah, he's not going to Toronto.

#318 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Right on Has. This is Marty. If he wants 2 years, give him 2 years. We'll deal with the potential consequences. He's meant everything to this franchise, and he's been the most loyal of loyal soldiers. Time to pay back some of that loyalty.

I understand what you and Has are saying, Marty's loyalty knows no bounds, but it all depends on just how dire the Devils finances are. It doesn't sound like they're in much of a position to hand out above-performance-value lifetime achievement contracts. If Marty has a full season like last seasons' first half and is getting roughly $5 million for it, it's going to get pretty rough. Not to mention this fanbase doesn't exactly shy away from jumping all over Marty...and Lou and Co. will pay back Marty plenty in other ways. Even if he goes to another team, the Devils aren't done with him.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#319 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,445 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

I understand what you and Has are saying, Marty's loyalty knows no bounds, but it all depends on just how dire the Devils finances are. It doesn't sound like they're in much of a position to hand out above-performance-value lifetime achievement contracts. If Marty has a full season like last seasons' first half and is getting roughly $5 million for it, it's going to get pretty rough. Not to mention this fanbase doesn't exactly shy away from jumping all over Marty...and Lou and Co. will pay back Marty plenty in other ways. Even if he goes to another team, the Devils aren't done with him.

They have to spend almost ten million dollars on four players to get up to the floor, and one of those slots is on a backup goalie, another is on a third-line winger. If they don't have enough money to pay Marty then JVB really needs to get off the pot already and just declare bankruptcy. This wait isn't about paying Marty it's about how much of the pie he gets. Even Burke says he thinks Marty's going nowhere anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 01 July 2012 - 06:40 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#320 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

Brodeur's not a center or a defenseman. You can't pay a goalie a bunch of money when he's past his prime just because he was good once and he might've given the Devils a discount once upon a time. Bad goaltending sinks a season much quicker than anything else, as Devils fans have found out over the last two years.

Plenty of great players have finished their careers as back-pairing D or 4th line players. Goalies don't have that luxury - they are either starters, backups, or retired.

Edited by Triumph, 01 July 2012 - 09:22 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users