518 replies to this topic

#321 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

I just wish that there were some sort of contingency plan with Brodeur...whether he comes back or not I'll be completely honest that a Brodeur/Hedberg tandem doesn't sound good for a year or worse yet for two. We'll see what happens...

#322 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,709 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

Yeah and where are you getting good goaltending next year? It's not as if the Devils are passing on viable options. There are no better solutions than Marty or Hedberg in FA or the system for next year. Trade's the only other option and what are you getting besides Luuu, who's a far worse option cap-wise or Johnathan Bernier, who Dean wants a first-round pick for?
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#323 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

Yeah and where are you getting good goaltending next year? It's not as if the Devils are passing on viable options. There are no better solutions than Marty or Hedberg in FA or the system for next year. Trade's the only other option and what are you getting besides Luuu, who's a far worse option cap-wise or Johnathan Bernier, who Dean wants a first-round pick for?

Yeah that's the exact problem, you know you can't build a goaltending core through FA and the reason other goalies are being traded is because another team didn't want them to start for their team...so I don't want them to start for mine. Wedgewood is a good future option but can we rely on him to start in the NHL in 1-2 years? Not an envied position...

#324 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,709 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

Well normally the goalie market isn't 'this' barren in FA, I mean if it wasn't for Marty being 'available', the best guy on the market would have been Hedberg :lol: And the highest-paid guy off the board today was Gustavsson (not counting Clemmensen or Biron who re-upped just before FA).

Edited by NJDevs4978, 01 July 2012 - 09:42 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#325 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

I don't know. But I don't consider Brodeur good goaltending, so they wouldn't be getting that with Brodeur, either.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#326 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

What do you think of Hedberg being the starter with a young guy in the system backing up?

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#327 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

Big news...

@DarrenDreger
As many of us predicted, the Devils have stepped up and are offering Martin Brodeur a 2 year contract.

#328 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,758 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

Big news...

@DarrenDreger
As many of us predicted, the Devils have stepped up and are offering Martin Brodeur a 2 year contract.

Lou read mine and Has' posts. :P
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#329 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

I like it. 35+ really won't matter with all the contracts coming off the books next year.

I don't know. But I don't consider Brodeur good goaltending, so they wouldn't be getting that with Brodeur, either.

:noclue:

28 goalies wish they played as long as Marty did this year, Tri.

#330 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hmm considering it's been widely speculated that Brodeur is going to be decided on once the Parise issue is settled, I wonder what this means in regards to that situation (if anything).

#331 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

Good to hear, although I think Marty does not deserve the 2 yrs or the money I never want to see him on another team. He is ours and only ours.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#332 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

Pay the NHL's all-time winningest goalie and the New Jersey Devils' all-time greatest player what he wants. He deserves it.

With Marty it's not about hockey, it's about emotion and loyalty. If you can't risk overpaying him for one year at the back end of his career after all he's done for us on the ice with all the money he's saved us off the ice, then you don't deserve any loyalty from the next guy. We want the players to be loyal but we don't give a **** about being loyal to them. It ain't a one-way street.

#333 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts

i'm not thrilled that lou went to two years unless the dollars are $3-$4mm. if he gets 2/10, I'm gonna be pretty upset.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#334 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

I don't understand why Brodeur and the Devils don't just go year-to-year on this one. If Brodeur plays well the Devils will want him back. Now he is forcing the team to be ready to accept a 35+ contract.

#335 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,709 posts

Hmm considering it's been widely speculated that Brodeur is going to be decided on once the Parise issue is settled, I wonder what this means in regards to that situation (if anything).

That's what worries me. I'm almost glad they did offer him two years just so this board can have a psychotic meltdown though. OH NOES we might have five million in dead cap space when we're forty million under next year!

#336 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,709 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

The thing that does puzzle me about him insisting on two years is he was saying earlier a lengthy lockout would finish him. So he wants to play two years but he'd have retired if one year got lost on a lockout?

#337 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

Regardless of what happens with Zach, I'm just hope Marty takes it and ends his career here. I never want to see #30 in another damn jersey even if his play has gone down. It still means something whenever I see him in net.

#338 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

i'm not thrilled that lou went to two years unless the dollars are $3-$4mm. if he gets 2/10, I'm gonna be pretty upset.

Are you kidding? I think anything over $2.5M/year is an overpayment.

#339 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

Regardless of what happens with Zach, I'm just hope Marty takes it and ends his career here. I never want to see #30 in another damn jersey even if his play has gone down. It still means something whenever I see him in net.

+1000. The cap space is there. It won't hamstring the team. Imagine Brodeur in a Leaf or Blackhawk jersey. I never want to see it.

#340 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

+1000. The cap space is there. It won't hamstring the team. Imagine Brodeur in a Leaf or Blackhawk jersey. I never want to see it.

Imagine Brodeur with an .890 save percentage leading the Devils right out of the playoffs. I never want to see that either.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users