518 replies to this topic

#341 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

Imagine Brodeur with an .890 save percentage leading the Devils right out of the playoffs. I never want to see that either.

No, I don't either. It's a risk, but I'd rather sink with Marty in net than w/ someone else. I just don't see who we could replace him with right now. I certainly don't think Hedberg would fare much better as starter.

#342 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

Imagine Brodeur with an .890 save percentage leading the Devils right out of the playoffs. I never want to see that either.

What's the alternative? Hedberg as the #1? Our young goalies who are not close to ready?

#343 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,035 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

What do you think of Hedberg being the starter with a young guy in the system backing up?

I think the Devils would finish out of the playoffs and would ruin a prospect in the process.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#344 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

Just want to get on record saying giving Brodeur two years is a mistake.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#345 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

I'm fine with Brodeur on a one-year deal. I'm not fine with a 2 year deal. The history of goalies over 40 is pretty awful, and there can't be a real market for Brodeur - there's no need to go to 2 years. Lou can't be negotiating against himself here; Brodeur may be a living legend, but he's also an average goalie.

Edited by Triumph, 01 July 2012 - 10:29 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#346 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,261 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

I don't care if its not the "right" thing to do money or cap wise. I want Brodeur on this team until he finishes. I just hope he plays good enough for whatever the contract is.

I might be more willing to be ok with Marty going elsewhere if there were other goalies out there that were better but I don't see any viable options.

Moose as a full time starter would worry me more.

#347 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

I can see Marty playing decent, and trying to get another deal as a UFA after this deal expires...lol

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#348 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

if he is signed to a 2 yr deal he has a great shot of reaching 700 wins

#349 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

Big news...

@DarrenDreger
As many of us predicted, the Devils have stepped up and are offering Martin Brodeur a 2 year contract.

was it money or years that caused Brodeur to get an agent?

#350 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

I think years. Just a guess though, I dont think anyone really knows.

#351 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

Likely both, but I would think the 2 year term was probably more of the sticking point than the yearly figure...

But again, Marty wants close to his "market value"....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#352 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

I can see Marty playing decent, and trying to get another deal as a UFA after this deal expires...lol

If he somehow stays healthy and plays good enough in year two to even consider coming back in year three, then all the people saying this is a bad contract will be wrong.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#353 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,335 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

Regardless of what happens with Zach, I'm just hope Marty takes it and ends his career here. I never want to see #30 in another damn jersey even if his play has gone down. It still means something whenever I see him in net.

This is exactly how I feel. As a sports fan there are times when I think you have to have emotion trump rational thinking. Brodeur wanted 2 years so I'm glad they are offering it to him.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#354 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

Likely both, but I would think the 2 year term was probably more of the sticking point than the yearly figure...

But again, Marty wants close to his "market value"....

My guess is Lou went 1 year, 3.5 or something, and then he went to market, got one team to offer two (and there were rumors Chicago was willing to go to 2) so now the Devils have matched or beat it.

#355 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

I'm fine with Brodeur on a one-year deal. I'm not fine with a 2 year deal. The history of goalies over 40 is pretty awful, and there can't be a real market for Brodeur - there's no need to go to 2 years. Lou can't be negotiating against himself here; Brodeur may be a living legend, but he's also an average goalie.

The only quibble I have with this point is that he hasn't been consistently average. He's been above average (the second halves of the past two seasons and most of last season's playoff run) and below average (the first halves of the last two seasons). I think any contract you give him is a real crapshoot at this point, and I wouldn't have gone past one year myself. He could wind up being pretty good for the next two years, or it could get really ugly for him...the fact is, if the last two seasons are any indication, it's going to be damned near impossible to gauge what Brodeur's going to do until we actually seem him play. Two years is risky as hell.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#356 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

"Martin Brodeur is staying with the Devils. 2 years / 9 millions. Great news for the Devils fans and that franchise."

Per Renaud Lavoie from RDS

#357 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

"Martin Brodeur is staying with the Devils. 2 years / 9 millions. Great news for the Devils fans and that franchise."

Per Renaud Lavoie from RDS

#358 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

Too much. But, better than him finishing his career in another jersey, I suppose.

#359 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

Too much, but the right thing to do, for someone that truly loves the sport and has meant so much to the franchise.

Edited by DJ Eco, 02 July 2012 - 06:26 AM.

#360 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

Its official

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users