518 replies to this topic

#421 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

a legend and a playoff goalie... put him in duo with a young goalie and marty will get the job done in the playoffs

#422 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

Glad Brodeur is back. Seeing him play in another other uniform to finish out his career would have been devastating. Hiring the agent was a brilliant move on his part. For the first time in his career, Marty had no leverage when negotiating with the Devils. He needed the agent to create the buzz and get what he really wanted, which was apparently that second year. The cap hit is a little higher than he deserves, and I don't like giving a 2nd year for a 40 year old goalie, but this deal had to get made. It also means that he can't retire after this season because it would completely screw this team in 2013-14 as his cap hit would remain based upon the over 35 signing rule.

That second year is likely going to be spent mentoring and splitting time with Wedgewood and/or Kinkaid to take over for him the following season. This was my predicition of what would happen prior to the season, but I always assumed he would work off of 1 year deals.

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 02 July 2012 - 08:55 AM.

Posted Image

#423 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

Glad he's back. So maybe (I don't know what a similar goalie makes), he is overpaid by what $1million a year? Hardly a gross overpayment in today's sports. That million for 2 years is NOT going to impact Zach's status. Marty was great during the playoffs.
Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#424 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Marty is worth his weight in gold in many ways to this franchise. He may not be what he once was but his legend has value. Sometimes you pay to for things other than strictly performance. Marty left a lot of money on the table of the years. He's all about the love of the game. Good for him. I would have supported him either way.

#425 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

I really hope he can get to 700 wins!!!!

#426 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

I'm glad we won't have to worry about seeing him in another uniform.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#427 JakeDev

JakeDev

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

fvck YES MARTY

#428 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

It also means that he can't retire after this season because it would completely screw this team in 2013-14 as his cap hit would remain based upon the over 35 signing rule.

Was just thinking about that. If Marty decides that he's had enough after this season, that 35+ rule comes into play. If we're up against the cap and need more players, then it's bad. If we're struggling to stay afloat financially, then I guess having a cap hit that helps us reach the floor while not having to pay the player works to the team's advantage.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#429 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

How does Lou sign a 40 year old goalie to a 2 year contract, but he doesn't give up the 1st round pick in the Kovalchuk circumvention this year? This could really, really hurt years down the road.

Chuck: The Devils aren't a cap team, Brodeur retiring has no effect on what the Devils would do financially or otherwise. I hope they front-loaded this contract so he does retire after this season.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#430 Troy from NJ

Troy from NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Marty loves this game too much to retire. The playoff run proved to HIM that he still has gas left in the tank and based on the way he played, I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays beyond that in a reduced role to mentor his successor. Being paid large coin to do something you'd do for free is a gift, and he intends to maximize it. Good for you Marty....now call Zach and let's get this train moving again!
"What's the difference between a catfish and Rangers Fan?
One is a low life bottom feeder that lives on the feces of others. The other is a fish"

Official Keeper of THE BUD LIGHT GOAL BAR
Posted Image

#431 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

So who do we want as a backup now? I'd be fine with Hedberg. Looking at the ufa list the only other one as a backup that I'd be ok with is Al Montoya. Really slim pickings after that.

#432 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

Come on now LD, you should be delighted he is back.

Marty bashing is 99% of your subject matter on here, if he left then what would you post about :noclue:

I think you need to check my posts if you think 99% of my post are about Marty this past year. If he retired I would have been OK with that. I didn't want him to go to another team for a year. And as I have said I didn't want a 2 year deal with him and IMO $4.5M is more than he is worth I would have liked $2.5-3 M and one year. He is 40 and injuries are happening. He didn't have a great year last season. In the playoffs he allowed a stoppable goal most every game but he kept us alive when our offence was sparse. He had Lou by the balls, Lou didn't have a starting goalie ready to go, shame on him.

#433 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

I think you need to check my posts if you think 99% of my post are about Marty this past year. If he retired I would have been OK with that. I didn't want him to go to another team for a year. And as I have said I didn't want a 2 year deal with him and IMO $4.5M is more than he is worth I would have liked $2.5-3 M and one year. He is 40 and injuries are happening. He didn't have a great year last season. In the playoffs he allowed a stoppable goal most every game but he kept us alive when our offence was sparse. He had Lou by the balls, Lou didn't have a starting goalie ready to go, shame on him.

My apologies 98%.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#434 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

How does Lou sign a 40 year old goalie to a 2 year contract, but he doesn't give up the 1st round pick in the Kovalchuk circumvention this year? This could really, really hurt years down the road.

Chuck: The Devils aren't a cap team, Brodeur retiring has no effect on what the Devils would do financially or otherwise. I hope they front-loaded this contract so he does retire after this season.

and then not match poni....lou is losing it
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#435 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

My apologies 98%.

I do have to say that I have noticed LD hasn't posted as much about Marty this year as in years past.

#436 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

I do have to say that I have noticed LD hasn't posted as much about Marty this year as in years past.

:rolleyes: Never mind.

We are clearly keeping things serious around here today.

In that case:

Of course you would like that deal. Everyone on the board would like that deal over the one he got. But players don’t sign for their market value. Once players go UFA you always have to overpay.

Also who would you suggest as the ready to go replacement. Off the 2012 UFA list Marty is clearly the best Goaltender. So are you suggesting we trade assets and future depth in a trade? Because that long term looks like a worse option to me.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#437 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

What does one have to do with the other?

The other silver lining to this is that we can close the door on the possibility of trading for Luongo.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#438 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Great news so long as he:

a) retires after year 1
or
b) accepts a backup/mentor role year 2

#439 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

Good point, they are still over $5 million under the cap floor after Marty's contract, with 11 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 1 goalie under contract.

#440 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

What does one have to do with the other?

The other silver lining to this is that we can close the door on the possibility of trading for Luongo.

http://www.hockey-re...der_by=save_pct

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users