518 replies to this topic

#81 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

I think Marty landing in another NHL city would bring them a nice increase in revenue. Especially a hockey town, who appreciates living legends.

Unless some small market team looking to make a splash is bidding, the effect on revenue will be minimal if not non-existent. Owners, and not GMs, think in those terms.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#82 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

I did not mean just jerseys. There is alot to merchandise, and a new shot in the arm to a franchise could carry over to other things. Increased season ticket sales, etc etc. Look what our Cup run did for the Devils this year? Granted signing the greatest goaltender of all time is not necessarily the same thing, but I am pretty sure he would energize any fan base he went to....

I posted something similar on the other thread, but this is not like Gretzky being traded in his prime to LA Kings.

It would be more like Chelios with Atlanta or Coffey with Carolina or Boston. I cannot see a team reaping a ton of money off a goalie in the twilight of his career no matter what his credentials are.

#83 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

well i said "Take it for what its worth", not saying i believe it but it was out there so

Hombre it was a guy on twitter asking if he heard correctly from nobody in particular

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#84 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

Maybe I'm in the minority here but when I was younger and only went to games here and there I would ask my parents to get tickets against certain teams because I liked certain goalies.

Yeah, but were you going to any more Devils games because of a particular player was on the roster? Perhaps only in a literal sense, in that good players make a good team, the latter of which you were really paying to see.
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#85 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

Unless some small market team looking to make a splash is bidding, the effect on revenue will be minimal if not non-existent. Owners, and not GMs, think in those terms.

You don't think some owners in the NHL have significant input on business/personnel decisions made?!?!?!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#86 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

If Marty wants to get paid someone will pay him. If you read some of the quotes about things being out of his and Lou's hands then this looks like it could be the end of the Devils as we knew them.

#87 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

I posted something similar on the other thread, but this is not like Gretzky being traded in his prime to LA Kings.

It would be more like Chelios with Atlanta or Coffey with Carolina or Boston. I cannot see a team reaping a ton of money off a goalie in the twilight of his career no matter what his credentials are.

The percentage of casual sports fans that know Brodeur is probably double-or-triple that of Chelios or Coffey. No, it isn't Gretzky, but it's definitely Favre-like.

Posted Image

#88 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

yeah in the stories about this, it's not surprising to see obvious Devils fans make comments ranging from encouraging Marty to sign elsewhere, to getting ready to jump out of a tall building. First the big deal with Parise, now this. Who said the offseason has no action?

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#89 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

2 years 5.3 mil

that seems fair

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#90 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

I can see your point, but comparing Marty now to either Chelios in Atlanta OR Coffey with Carolina/Boston is a complete insult to Marty and his legacy. Marty is THE greatest goaltender in NHL history...and likely a top 10 PLAYER in NHL history. (has to be Top 15 at worst case?) I do not think anyone would say Chelios or Coffey was the single GREATEST defenseman of all time. Not to mention that in their old age their impact was minimal, whereas Marty could get hot on the right team and make his mark....

The percentage of casual sports fans that know Brodeur is probably double-or-triple that of Chelios or Coffey. No, it isn't Gretzky, but it's definitely Favre-like.

Good analogy, and in looking at both of them relative to their own sports...I still think MARTY'S BETTER!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#91 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,281 posts

No, I don't think they will. And all that good will would curdle real quick if Brodeur came out playing like he did the last two years.

If he was a FA last year you would have been making the same argument on why he wasn't worth 5m and that he would never be able to put up a playoffs like the one he just did. Look at whats in front of us, worst case scenario we need to spend at least 12m to be a floor team, there's no point in signing Zach long term and you want to blow all that 12m on Poni, Carter, Bernier Fayne and Hedberg + X and Y spare part? If we really are in that much trouble give Marty a 1y 5m or 2y 4m deal and be done with it. We keep his legacy intact, we have a starting goalie, helps us reach the floor and buys us a few years to get new owners or whatever it is we need to make us competitive again.

If it's not the worst scenario then just sign the guy for a little more then he is worth, god knows Lou has done that before with random FA's.

#92 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

2 years 5.3 mil

that seems fair

I don't think that is fair in either way you mean it.

IF you mean 2 years 5.3m per year, it's overpaying him
If you mean 2 years 5.3m total, it's taking out your dick and slapping him in the nose.

Posted Image

#93 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Also the amount of people that know Brodeur is probably something more like 7.6x the amount that know Chelios or Coffey... :giggle:

#94 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Coffey is def HOF and Chelios is probable, so that is why I mentioned them since Brodeur is def going into the HOF.

Favre had a bad season with the Jets and now a lot of Jets fans wouldn't be caught dead in one of his jerseys. I do not think teams want that to happen if they sign Brodeur. It may provide a small spike but if he falls under expectations you can bet there will be a backlash.

#95 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

2 years 5.3 mil

that seems fair

Oh my god, nooooo, no no no. That is insane for his play and his age.

EDIT: If you mean 2 years at 2.65 per year thats not enough.

Edited by Zubie#8, 29 June 2012 - 10:59 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#96 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

You don't think some owners in the NHL have significant input on business/personnel decisions made?!?!?!

A lot less than you think, especially in hockey. Please name one. JVB with Kovalchuk, and that's about all, and that probably had nothing to do with how many jerseys the team would be selling.
Posted Image

#97 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

Oh my god, nooooo, no no no. That is insane for his play and his age.

EDIT: If you mean 2 years at 2.65 per year thats not enough.

it should be for his age and willingness to win. but i guess im just a selfish devils fan. he does have practically 2 families to feed.

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#98 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,503 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

If he was a FA last year you would have been making the same argument on why he wasn't worth 5m and that he would never be able to put up a playoffs like the one he just did. Look at whats in front of us, worst case scenario we need to spend at least 12m to be a floor team, there's no point in signing Zach long term and you want to blow all that 12m on Poni, Carter, Bernier Fayne and Hedberg + X and Y spare part? If we really are in that much trouble give Marty a 1y 5m or 2y 4m deal and be done with it. We keep his legacy intact, we have a starting goalie, helps us reach the floor and buys us a few years to get new owners or whatever it is we need to make us competitive again.

If it's not the worst scenario then just sign the guy for a little more then he is worth, god knows Lou has done that before with random FA's.

I never say never with goalies. They are totally unpredictable. I was surprised that he was able to overcome a rough first round - he played excellently for the rest of the playoffs.

If he were an FA last year, I would've made the same argument, and I would have been right. Brodeur's play in the first half nearly cost NJ a shot at the playoffs, he was horrendous in everything besides shootouts. I would much rather try to upgrade the forwards than sign Brodeur to a $5M deal, it's not worth the risk. I would also not assume that the floor will be what it is now - I'd much rather take that risk.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#99 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

it should be for his age and willingness to win. but i guess im just a selfish devils fan. he does have practically 2 families to feed.

Making Cam Janssens salary should cover that.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#100 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Favre had a bad season with the Jets and now a lot of Jets fans wouldn't be caught dead in one of his jerseys.

One man's fate sure as hell doesn't change the other ones, but how much buzz did he generate in a big market (New York <> Toronto) with a future hall of famer towards the end of his career coming.

And, not for nothing, everyone and their mother that goes to a vikings game is wearing a #4 jersey. There's the other side to that coin too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users