24 replies to this topic

#1 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 07:30 AM

I just reinstalled Windows XP on my computer, and now I have no internet connection. Keeps saying there is no modem connected, but I just made sure all the wires and stuff are plugged in, and they are. Also says there are no speakers or printers either.
:noclue:
This really sucks, I can't do anything anymore, and the only time I get to come here is when I have free time in school.

Oh well, at least school is about to end so I won't need to go online to research stuff and hockey season is over so I won't need to check scores or anything....

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#2 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,622 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 08:33 AM

Do you have all of your device drivers? That could be why your system's not finding anything, especially if your motherboard drivers aren't installed. Try reinstalling the drivers for the motherboard, modem, sound card, and printer, and see if that does anything for you.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#3 DevilsRule.com

DevilsRule.com

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:35 AM

Check device manager (right-click "My Computer", select "Properties", click "Hardware", click "Device Manager") to see if your modem has drivers properly installed. If it does not, it would show up with a yellow question mark icon.. A red X through the icon would mean the device is disabled.

If the modem does have drivers installed, check "Phone and Modem Options" in "Control Panel" to see if the modem is actually responding to commands from the OS.

Bill

Edited by DevilsRule.com, 09 June 2004 - 09:36 AM.

#4 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,713 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:45 AM

hopefully you have all the install disks for the modem, sound card, etc that you got with the thing (either that or you bought a dell, if so then it's easy to get them and I could always re-download the drivers you need that way since I still have a dell support login and bring them Thurs or Sat)

this again proves what I was saying about the evils of win XP :D
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#5 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 12:24 PM

Heh, anyone can get a Dell Support login. :P

But yah, if it's a Dell, then all you need is the Modem Helper program and the Resource CD (if the other drivers aren't loaded).

Whether they send you the CD or not is up to the tech you talk to. :D
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#6 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 12:33 PM

this again proves what I was saying about the evils of win XP :D

:D Amen to that....

Which is why I am SO close to converting to MAC :D

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#7 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:48 PM

Clown, Mac OSX is full of surprises, as well, trust me.

You're damned if ya do, 'n you're damned if ya don't. That's the long and the short of it.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#8 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,713 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:14 PM

ain't nothin safe about a computer that only uses one mouse button :P

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

#9 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:17 PM

I've not had any surprises in OSX.... everything seems hunky-doory.

Plus I like that my shell is to UNIX, not DOS. :lol:

The hard part is going back and forth from work/home. Everything at work is Windows, so I have to know twice the applications.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#10 djstubbs

djstubbs

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:22 PM

I had similar problems when I first got this computer in March.

It took me about an hour of messing with it to find it...

If you want to test the connection

go to run and type in winipcfg

depending on your results there it will tell you if you have your modem and everything plugged in correctly...

I believe you have to mess around with your network connections...

#11 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:25 PM

If you want to test the connection

go to run and type in winipcfg

depending on your results there it will tell you if you have your modem and everything plugged in correctly...

I believe you have to mess around with your network connections...

You can't use winipcfg in XP. Also, if you run that (or ipconfig in XPs case) it won't tell you jacksh!t if you are not connected to the internet (or any network) and not pulling an IP address. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure it'll even tell you anything if you ARE connected via a modem.

#12 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,713 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 06:02 PM

sammy it will still tell you your IP but that's still pretty useless
unless the IP starts with 169.254.x.x then there's a problem getting an IP addy
but I DOUBT highly that being the case

#13 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 06:17 PM

sammy it will still tell you your IP but that's still pretty useless
unless the IP starts with 169.254.x.x then there's a problem getting an IP addy
but I DOUBT highly that being the case

Yah I kinda figured it would, but to be honest, I've never messed around with winipcfg and ipconfig when I used a modem, and I haven't had to deal with a modem that hasn't worked in years. Nowadays if there is ever a problem with a modem it's either reinstall the driver or buy a new modem.

#14 Leafs_whine_2_much

Leafs_whine_2_much

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 06:50 PM

Try Add New Hardware from the Control Panel. Do an automatic search for the driver. If it doesn't find anything through the auto-search, insert the driver CD/floppy and browse/select the file/directory where they are located. See if that works.

Also, go to Control Panel >> Printers and Other Hardware >> Phone and Modem Options >> Modems tab >> Properties >> Diagnostics tab >> Query Modem. What do you get?

Edited by Leafs_whine_2_much, 09 June 2004 - 06:54 PM.

Get well soon, Burns!!!
"Don't worry, "your" Leafs will come through Posted Image ...HNIT (Hockey Night in Toronto) needs them to win.... Although if they lose, we'll hear excerpts from the book "101 ways to bitch about the Maple Leaf$ lo$$", narrated by Mr Leaf himself, Don Cherry" - Legend Of the Clown Banner

--------------------
Leafs whine too much. So do the Lakers. Both suck. ANYONE but the Leafs and the Lakers! Posted Image

#15 devildave00

devildave00

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 08:49 PM

I have just had the same problem and sounds like a winsock error. If you are still having a problem I can email a file to fix it.
It's like a gift, I can't control it.

#16 JesterDevil

JesterDevil

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:13 PM

Definitely drivers. Find the missing hardware on your device manager list and right click then choose update drivers and have your disk ready and point it to the correct version of the drivers. Wallah you're up and running. Who'd you buy the PC from or did you build it? Out of curiousity what's it got in it?

#17 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 07:46 AM

Thanks for the advice. I don't know how I'm going to do this unless I remember everything because I won't be able to come back on this forum when I get home.

:pray:
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#18 Leafs_whine_2_much

Leafs_whine_2_much

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the advice. I don't know how I'm going to do this unless I remember everything because I won't be able to come back on this forum when I get home.

:pray:

Save it and copy it on CD/floppy and/or print it? :D
Get well soon, Burns!!!
"Don't worry, "your" Leafs will come through Posted Image ...HNIT (Hockey Night in Toronto) needs them to win.... Although if they lose, we'll hear excerpts from the book "101 ways to bitch about the Maple Leaf$ lo$$", narrated by Mr Leaf himself, Don Cherry" - Legend Of the Clown Banner

--------------------
Leafs whine too much. So do the Lakers. Both suck. ANYONE but the Leafs and the Lakers! Posted Image

#19 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 02:01 PM

I just reinstalled Windows XP on my computer, and now I have no internet connection. Keeps saying there is no modem connected, but I just made sure all the wires and stuff are plugged in, and they are. Also says there are no speakers or printers either.
:noclue:
This really sucks, I can't do anything anymore, and the only time I get to come here is when I have free time in school.

Oh well, at least school is about to end so I won't need to go online to research stuff and hockey season is over so I won't need to check scores or anything....

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

...How are you posting on a forum without a internet connection??? :noclue: :lol: :lol:

Dial up or broadband?
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#20 overrated elias

overrated elias

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 02:44 PM

He does his internet work in school.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users