50 replies to this topic

#1 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Alexei Ponikarovsky to WPG, 1 year, $1.8M.

McKenzie

Edited by ghdi, 01 July 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#2 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

I really liked what he bought to this team. Disappointed he couldn't wait til the Parise drama was over. Oh well.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#3 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,264 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

Bummer, I really liked Ponikarovsky's game in NJ. Best of luck to him in Winnipeg.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#4 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,283 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

Good luck in the 'Peg Poni.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#5 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

We don't have anything Better than him for $1.8M
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#6 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

Only 1.8 mill. Damn.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#7 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,405 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

I'm surprised he didn't wait longer for a better deal than that, guess there wasn't much interest. I'll feel better when we sign a guy for over $1 million lol.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#8 Joonas #6

Joonas #6

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

I really liked him. If I remember correctly, he played pretty well with Antropov in Toronto.

I fvcking hate animated avatars and signatures.

#9 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

wish him well

easily replaceable however
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#10 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,734 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

If Poni really wanted to go to Winnipeg, nothing can stop him, but I don't see how this isn't a huge value win for WPG. Ponikarovsky immediately transformed the bottom 6 from terrible to decent.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#11 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

If Poni really wanted to go to Winnipeg, nothing can stop him, but I don't see how this isn't a huge value win for WPG. Ponikarovsky immediately transformed the bottom 6 from terrible to decent.

Its a good signing at a good price, can't fault Winnipeg for doing it. Maybe he just didnt want to stay in this area and/or wanted to go back with Antropov.

#12 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

I liked him and what he brought but he seemed to fizzle out after a great start.

3rd line was a mess all year anyway. Definitely our worst line.

#13 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

I liked what he brought, and for only. 1.8m I would have liked to bring him back.

Best of luck to him.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#14 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

I liked him and what he brought but he seemed to fizzle out after a great start.

3rd line was a mess all year anyway. Definitely our worst line.

Did you watch this team at all before the playoffs? The fourth line was way worse because it took a year to find the right players.

I kind of feel like Poni just got forgotten with the current Parise and Marty drama. If it was only going to take about 1.8mil to sign him, why didn't the Devils show more interest in resigning him? Odd by Lou.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#15 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

Did you watch this team at all before the playoffs? The fourth line was way worse because it took a year to find the right players.

I kind of feel like Poni just got forgotten with the current Parise and Marty drama. If it was only going to take about 1.8mil to sign him, why didn't the Devils show more interest in resigning him? Odd by Lou.

He may not have wanted to stay. Can't always lay blame on us. He was traded here. I also believe he'll also be playing on a better line in Winnipeg, in terms of playing time and such. Id not be surprised to see him paired with Antropov.

#16 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Best of luck to you Poni!

#17 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

I remember Poni, Zubs, and Bernier playing good together for a while but after they broke that up not much came from the third line. The third line was never really set either until the fourth was set.

#18 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

how did we not put up 1.8 for him....saving it for parise
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#19 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

how did we not put up 1.8 for him....saving it for parise

Again. We don't know the details. We very well could've put in an offer and he still WANTED to leave. Not everybody wants to stay in NJ, whether we're winning or not. We've never been a premier free agency lure.

#20 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,686 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

He's a "pick up at the deadline" kinda guy anyway, odds are the Jets will be selling come February anyway......
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users