50 replies to this topic

#21 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Liked him. Too bad the Devs couldnt keep him.
Posted Image Posted Image

#22 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

i also liked him and would've been fine if he had stayed at that price - even giving him two years on it.

we don't know what his situation was and i'm not going to pass judgement on the devils until they've made the moves they want to make.
"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
Shameless Business Plug - Shop at Capitol Lighting and
1-800lighting.com - Use code NJDEVS10 for 10% OFF

#23 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Again. We don't know the details. We very well could've put in an offer and he still WANTED to leave. Not everybody wants to stay in NJ, whether we're winning or not. We've never been a premier free agency lure.

don't know the details but its what im thinking
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#24 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Maybe we can reaquire him in a deadline trade
Devils.

#25 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

i also liked him and would've been fine if he had stayed at that price - even giving him two years on it.

we don't know what his situation was and i'm not going to pass judgement on the devils until they've made the moves they want to make.
"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
Shameless Business Plug - Shop at Capitol Lighting and
1-800lighting.com - Use code NJDEVS10 for 10% OFF

#26 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,490 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Lou saw the TMZ video and that was it for Pony. Lacked Devils character.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#27 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

He may not have wanted to stay. Can't always lay blame on us. He was traded here. I also believe he'll also be playing on a better line in Winnipeg, in terms of playing time and such. Id not be surprised to see him paired with Antropov.

TG tweeted a day or two ago that although the Devils showed some initial interest, they never really got serious about negotiating a new deal. You're right that maybe Poni just wanted to leave and nothing could be done to keep him, but it seems like the Devils didn't try hard enough to figure out if that was really the case.

I remember Poni, Zubs, and Bernier playing good together for a while but after they broke that up not much came from the third line. The third line was never really set either until the fourth was set.

Yes, the players on the third line were constantly changing, but any line that included Cam and/or Boulton was the worst on the team.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#28 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

I really do wish him the best. He was a solid pick up for us and was a great player.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#29 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,865 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

Lou saw the TMZ video and that was it for Pony. Lacked Devils character.

Could be bad news for Clarky next summer, what with walking into a pole sh!tfaced drunk with a chick on either arm. :P
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#30 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

Would've def liked him to stay at that price. Not gona replace him w anything cheaper.

#31 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

Poni on conference call with Winnipeg:

@IllegalCurve
An interesting part of the Ponikarovsky conf call is that he spoke to NJD about returning, but their financial woes are very legit #Brodeur

Illegal Curve are a Winnipeg based blog/website dealing with the Jets.

#32 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

To bad for us, good for him, I guess. Best of luck, hope he's happy.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#33 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,663 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

Being reunited with Nik Antropov might have driven his decision a bit.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#34 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

there goes my little poni. i am mostly upset for my personal laughs at his name, but he didn't really do much apart from that.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#35 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,736 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for this Poni

#36 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Poni on conference call with Winnipeg:

@IllegalCurve
An interesting part of the Ponikarovsky conf call is that he spoke to NJD about returning, but their financial woes are very legit #Brodeur

Illegal Curve are a Winnipeg based blog/website dealing with the Jets.

that sucks
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#37 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

We'll pick him back up at the deadline

#38 Troy from NJ

Troy from NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

Liked Poni, but he played small against the Kings. While the Flyers let him cycle down low, LA played him physically and took that away. He had no answer (nobody really did) for it. While I can forgive a Parise because he's giving up so much size, that has to be where Poni plays strong (think Holik against Detroit in '95 for example). Still, at 1.8m not sure NJ can upgrade from that.
"What's the difference between a catfish and Rangers Fan?
One is a low life bottom feeder that lives on the feces of others. The other is a fish"

Official Keeper of THE BUD LIGHT GOAL BAR
Posted Image

#39 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

Poni was a great spare part. Three holes in the top nine need to be replaced. I bet Bernier starts the year on the third line now. Poni was a key contributor on the top four goals of the playoffs. The guy got a lot of d zone starts down the stretch and came out ahead.

#40 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:26 AM

I wished poni would've waited a bit to talk with us. He brought awesomeness to this team. Certainly replacable, however, and shame on him for taking the quick offer because ours probably wasn't too different

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users