227 replies to this topic

#41 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

Yeah, Sykora, along with Tedenby, are not decent options.

They're not, but its not a guaranteed bad season if that is what we go into the start of the season with. Johnny Mac is not the coach and we had an excellent 2nd half the year Zach was injured + we have Henrique now. If we don't get Semin, there's not a whole lot out there UFA wise that will help us that we have a legit shot at getting. There are a few names we could essentially target, but they're few and far between.

Its a seller's market trade wise right now considering how many teams are trying that. If the Flyers, Wings, Rags, Buffalo, and Carolina and whoever else lose out on Nash/Ryan, then they're going to be fighting over the next names that may be trade bait. Its more prudent to go into the season with Sykora/Tedenby than sign some UFA trash or make a trade now and pay a lot more than we would have to at the deadline. Sykora is old, but if he can play well the first half and then we can make a trade to improve the team at the deadline, we'll be okay. Tedenby is a wash right now. I think he's Bergfors 2.0, so at the very least playing him will hopefully get some team to bite and give him a chance another place.

Im not going to be surprised at all if we sign Sykora and that's it for us before the season begins.

#42 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

Kris Versteeg is a RFA Right winger. I doubt we'd make a move for him, but I wouldn't mind having him on the team. Just a thought.

I like this idea a lot. He's a little younger and gets some more speed back into our lineup. Of course, what would it take to get him? I'm sure Florida isn't looking for defensive prospects given their young blueline.

#43 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

I like this idea a lot. He's a little younger and gets some more speed back into our lineup. Of course, what would it take to get him? I'm sure Florida isn't looking for defensive prospects given their young blueline.

They did lose Mr. Garrison.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#44 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Kris Versteeg is a RFA Right winger. I doubt we'd make a move for him, but I wouldn't mind having him on the team. Just a thought.

Offer sheets to RFAs are a waste of time, and even worse when they are successful.

Alex Semin. 3 yrs $20 mill. Get it done Lou.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#45 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,206 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

Offer sheets to RFAs are a waste of time, and even worse when they are successful.

Alex Semin. 3 yrs $20 mill. Get it done Lou.

Semin's getting more than twice that in years and money. You guys are going to be amazed...with all the teams in on Parise you think half of them aren't going to be overpaying for Semin? Unless there's more xenophobia in NHL front offices than I think.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 04 July 2012 - 04:00 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#46 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Semin is by far the best option available. Personally I think he's a better match for Kovys line then Parise anyway..

Semin for 7M x6 years.
Posted Image

#47 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,206 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Semin is by far the best option available. Personally I think he's a better match for Kovys line then Parise anyway..

Semin for 7M x6 years.

I was thinking more the other way around 7 years, 6 million per (7-42)...not what I'd pay for him, just more in terms of what he's getting. He's not going to get a 7+ cap hit when Zach got 7.5 but he's getting big money, if not here in the KHL.

Freaking P.A.Parenteau got 4-16, GM's have money and cap space to burn.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 04 July 2012 - 04:03 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#48 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

Status quo.

#49 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,073 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

Semin's getting more than twice that in years and money. You guys are going to be amazed...with all the teams in on Parise you think half of them aren't going to be overpaying for Semin? Unless there's more xenophobia in NHL front offices than I think.

Yeah, someone will overpay, no doubt. Be it Pittsburgh or Detroit (I think it's one of the two), somoene will overpay.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#50 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

There's a lot of group think among NHL GMs. So if the word is Semin is a cancer, a lot of teams will take it at face value without context. People thought the same thing about Kovy and somehow think Ovechkin is lazy.

But you're right I'm probably being over optimistic
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#51 schneidpants

schneidpants

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

Rick Nash

Posted Image

#52 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

Rick Nash

Sure if you don't mind trading Henrique and Merrill. I wouldn't. End of story.
Posted Image

#53 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

Rick Nash

No. Its not that I dont think he'd be good here, it'd just cost entirely too much and his contract sucks. Nash is not UFA anytime soon, Howson will sit and wait until he gets what he wants. We got Kovy because Atlanta had to deal him so as not to get nothing.

#54 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,982 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

Rick Nash is overrated and isn't worth his current contract. I want no part of him.

#55 schneidpants

schneidpants

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

No. Its not that I dont think he'd be good here, it'd just cost entirely too much and his contract sucks. Nash is not UFA anytime soon, Howson will sit and wait until he gets what he wants. We got Kovy because Atlanta had to deal him so as not to get nothing.

Yeah we did get Kovy but in return we lost someone who meant a lot to the team and fans. Might I also say our Captain.

Posted Image

#56 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,982 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

Yeah we did get Kovy but in return we lost someone who meant a lot to the team and fans. Might I also say our Captain.

You're blaming Kovy? Are you one of the ones yelling Kovalsuck at the arena?

#57 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,206 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

If you would rather have kept Zach over Kovy you didn't watch the playoffs this year, Kovy produced more without being able to skate.

#58 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

TG said the same thing but I'm not buying it. Zach was not going to be offered the same amount that the Wild offered him Kovy or no Kovy.
Posted Image

#59 schneidpants

schneidpants

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

If you would rather have kept Zach over Kovy you didn't watch the playoffs this year, Kovy produced more without being able to skate.

While you are correct about this I would like to see if he can still have the same season he did without Parise.

Posted Image

#60 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,982 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

While you are correct about this I would like to see if he can still have the same season he did without Parise.

Kovy played great in the 2nd half of the 10-11 season when Parise was hurt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users