227 replies to this topic

#141 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

If we had the money for Zach, why not use SOME of that cash on Semin?!?

If I was GM, I'd be after Semin. I just don't think Lou will go after Semin hard. I think we're going to get priced out by teams not in financial straits and that Lou will have a limit on what he would be prepared to offer him.

Zach is a completely different beast. We knew EXACTLY what we were going to get if we re-signed him since he was here 7 years and was Captain. I also think that Zach brings other intangibles, like marketing to the table. We're not going to get the same value for Semin as we would for Zach most likely. There are ?'s about Semin's character as its been pointed out ad nauseum by RedArmy. No one can deny this. Its much more of a risk with Semin than it is with Zach.

Are you joking?

He has been stocked with talent these past few years and a coach let gave him the green light to produce. Ovechkin gave him carte blanche to succeed, in fact the majority of Semin's points came when he played alongside of AO.

He has talent, but he is all about the money, not winning. I would give him a 1-year deal for $3.5 with incentives for WINNING and give him a chance to prove everyone wrong about him in the hockey world.

My comment on Ovechkin has nothing to do with Ovechkin on the ice. Ovechkin is a party animal, yet can still get up and play the next day. Semin is not the same guy. And Semin's agents wouldnt even listen to you if you offered that. He's going to get more money and more years.

Edited by ghdi, 05 July 2012 - 04:06 PM.

#142 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

It's still a million bucks which is a big deal when you've probably got an internal cap.

I don't think so. Internal cap or not, if Lou wants an impact guy like Semin, etc. we won't miss out on him because we spent a mill on thuggery....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#143 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

I don't think so. Internal cap or not, if Lou wants an impact guy like Semin, etc. we won't miss out on him because we spent a mill on thuggery....

When you see good role players going for 2 mil and 3 mil then a million bucks is a big deal.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#144 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

If anyone isn't thinking Semin wouldn't be deadly on a line with Kovy and Zajac then take a look at the play by play:

Wait a minute? Goals from the top of the circle?

#145 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

If I was GM, I'd be after Semin. I just don't think Lou will go after Semin hard. I think we're going to get priced out by teams not in financial straits and that Lou will have a limit on what he would be prepared to offer him.

Zach is a completely different beast. We knew EXACTLY what we were going to get if we re-signed him since he was here 7 years and was Captain. I also think that Zach brings other intangibles, like marketing to the table. We're not going to get the same value for Semin as we would for Zach most likely. There are ?'s about Semin's character as its been pointed out ad nauseum by RedArmy. No one can deny this. Its much more of a risk with Semin than it is with Zach.

My comment on Ovechkin has nothing to do with Ovechkin on the ice. Ovechkin is a party animal, yet can still get up and play the next day. Semin is not the same guy.

Yes we did know what we were getting with Zach, but Semin would be the beginning of replacing Parise's point production that we will be without this season. Marketing?!?!? Do the Devils even have a marketing department??!?!? We are notorious for not marketing players, but instead the team itself. I know Semin has been dogged on by just about everyone in the hockey world, but if any destination could whip him into shape it could be NJ. We have vets on the team that will give him a correct bitchslap if needbe, and our likely captain is a fellow Russian. I think he just may be a good fit here! Initially I had a "NO WAY!" outlook on him, but the more I think about it...the more it makes sense. With that being said, I would not want to throw him a boatload of cash to get him. We will see, but I do not expect he joins NJ whatsoever...would be a nice bonus though after losin the Cap'n!

Wait a minute? Goals from the top of the circle?

Do you mean Zach couldn't score from there?!?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#146 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

I would rather do my homework on a player than just blindly pay him anything he wants before making such a commitment.

That is all I am saying. The fact that there really is no market for him, is good for us.

There's plenty market for Semin I'm sure. I agree on doing the HW on the character of a player but this is nothing. Many players don't like many of their teammates. The reason you don't hear more criticism is because they are above it, they are taught to be disciplined this way. The fact that Semin's former teammate opened his mouth, says something negative about that guys character, not Semin.

and ok, so he rubbed Pierre Mcguire the wrong way. Pierre has rubbed quite a few guys...the wrong way. (bad phrasing?)

point is, the stuff you're bringing up is 9th grade gossip stuff. meaningless. tell me when he elbows a player in the jaw on the ice. tell me when he goes out partying the night before a playoff game. tell me when he gets a DUI. tell me when he skips practice. tell me when he hires a hitman to kill his former coach. DON'T tell me when a couple people say they don't like him.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#147 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

The whole idea of NJ being a good spot to rehabilitate Semin's image is a good argument, but it depends on whether or not Semin cares about how he is perceived.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#148 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

The whole idea of NJ being a good spot to rehabilitate Semin's image is a good argument, but it depends on whether or not Semin cares about how he is perceived.

Fvck his image, if he wants to win and play in a team system he should come here....

#149 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

There's plenty market for Semin I'm sure. I agree on doing the HW on the character of a player but this is nothing. Many players don't like many of their teammates. The reason you don't hear more criticism is because they are above it, they are taught to be disciplined this way. The fact that Semin's former teammate opened his mouth, says something negative about that guys character, not Semin.

and ok, so he rubbed Pierre Mcguire the wrong way. Pierre has rubbed quite a few guys...the wrong way. (bad phrasing?)

point is, the stuff you're bringing up is 9th grade gossip stuff. meaningless. tell me when he elbows a player in the jaw on the ice. tell me when he goes out partying the night before a playoff game. tell me when he gets a DUI. tell me when he skips practice. tell me when he hires a hitman to kill his former coach. DON'T tell me when a couple people say they don't like him.

Craig MacTavish killed someone while driving drunk, but he was and is still respected around the league.

Dude, Pierre McGuire will be the first one to say the Penguins made a smart decision and they are unstoppable if the Pens sign Semin.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#150 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

Pierre "Go have fun out there!" McGuire tries his best to rub every player he gets an interview with...it was nauseating looking at his goofy ass drooling over the players while he sat in his little perch in between the benches. I wish he got the Montreal gig so we did not have to see him on TV anymore.

#151 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

Craig MacTavish killed someone while driving drunk, but he was and is still respected around the league.

Dude, Pierre McGuire will be the first one to say the Penguins made a smart decision and they are unstoppable if the Pens sign Semin.

um...agreed.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#152 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

Yes we did know what we were getting with Zach, but Semin would be the beginning of replacing Parise's point production that we will be without this season. Marketing?!?!? Do the Devils even have a marketing department??!?!? We are notorious for not marketing players, but instead the team itself. I know Semin has been dogged on by just about everyone in the hockey world, but if any destination could whip him into shape it could be NJ. We have vets on the team that will give him a correct bitchslap if needbe, and our likely captain is a fellow Russian. I think he just may be a good fit here! Initially I had a "NO WAY!" outlook on him, but the more I think about it...the more it makes sense. With that being said, I would not want to throw him a boatload of cash to get him. We will see, but I do not expect he joins NJ whatsoever...would be a nice bonus though after losin the Cap'n!

Again, I DONT DISAGREE WITH YOU. I am for Semin being signed by the Devils, I just don't think the Devils will do it and/or they will be outbid by another team. If this franchise wasn't in a financial bind, I could see us being more competitive for Semin.

And yes marketing. Zach's jersey/merch sales were high + he's likely going to be captain of the national team in 2 years. He brings more to the table than Semin does in that respect. Now if Semin came here and lit it up (and I think he's capable) we'd likely get that boost, but if he came here with his head up his ass, he'd not. There is a risk signing Semin and I agree that this is the type of place he could thrive, I just don't think the Devils are going to take the risk, that's all.

Zach is one of the most well liked players in the entire league. Fans of other teams liked him when he was here and wanted him on their teams. On the flipside, Semin is one of the most maligned players in the league and few want him on their teams.

#153 Devilsrock01

Devilsrock01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

to get semin would be amazing

Posted Image

#154 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

Pierre "Go have fun out there!" McGuire tries his best to rub every player he gets an interview with...it was nauseating looking at his goofy ass drooling over the players while he sat in his little perch in between the benches. I wish he got the Montreal gig so we did not have to see him on TV anymore.

Montreal fans deserve him. They're the worst road fans EVER.

#155 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:23 PM

Are you joking?

He has been stocked with talent these past few years and a coach let gave him the green light to produce. Ovechkin gave him carte blanche to succeed, in fact the majority of Semin's points came when he played alongside of AO.

He has talent, but he is all about the money, not winning. I would give him a 1-year deal for $3.5 with incentives for WINNING and give him a chance to prove everyone wrong about him in the hockey world.

It is amazing how this rhetoric pervades NHL thought. Amazing.

Okay, Semin came back into the league in 2006-07. There are 14 players who've scored more goals than him over that time. He ranks 7th in goals per game.

Oh, but his defense must be weak, right? He's been a + Corsi player all 5 years of the Corsi era. He has been given a lot of offensive zone starts, but hey, he's a great scorer. Not a fan of +/- because it minimizes zone starts and things, but he is a +67 over the last 6 years, which ranks 17th among forwards.

Most frequent forward linemates last year: Marcus Johansson (who is horrible), Jason Chimera (who is a 3rd line grinder). 2010-11? Alex Ovechkin is ranked as his 6th most frequent linemate. Brooks Laich is #1. 2009-10? Ovechkin ranked 4th. 08-09, Ovechkin is ranked #1. In 07-08, Ovechkin is not ranked. They didn't play together that much at ES.

I'm not totally sold on Semin, his offensive zone penalties are horrible, but they're also partly a result of going after the puck - Zach Parise got penalties that way too. But he could be better than the market thinks he is.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#156 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

Okay, Semin came back into the league in 2006-07. There are 14 players who've scored more goals than him over that time. He ranks 7th in goals per game.

Oh, but his defense must be weak, right? He's been a + Corsi player all 5 years of the Corsi era. He has been given a lot of offensive zone starts, but hey, he's a great scorer. Not a fan of +/- because it minimizes zone starts and things, but he is a +67 over the last 6 years, which ranks 17th among forwards.

Most frequent forward linemates last year: Marcus Johansson (who is horrible), Jason Chimera (who is a 3rd line grinder). 2010-11? Alex Ovechkin is ranked as his 6th most frequent linemate. Brooks Laich is #1. 2009-10? Ovechkin ranked 4th. 08-09, Ovechkin is ranked #1. In 07-08, Ovechkin is not ranked. They didn't play together that much at ES.

I'm not totally sold on Semin, his offensive zone penalties are horrible, but they're also partly a result of going after the puck - Zach Parise got penalties that way too. But he could be better than the market thinks he is.

So inquiring minds NEED to know...Tri, the stat guru...if you are Lou, what deal do you offer Semin? (years and total value)

#157 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

Don't forget a career +83 and career 408 points 2 points less than ZP in 32 less games.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#158 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

Okay, so what I am gathering here is that because Marc Crawford (now a head coach in Switzerland) Pierre (seriously, did someone reference Pierre) and Matt Bradley said he doesn't care, it must be true.

Give the man a chance in a new system, a successful system with outstanding leadership and veteran presence. He can be an extremely valuable asset.

#159 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

@dchesnokov

I asked Semin if he was going to play in Detroit - one of the clubs reportedly interested. His reply: "I don't know." Evaluating his options

#160 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

Someone asked Chesnokov if the Devils were interested. Reply: @NJDDave I haven't heard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users