Photo

on November 11, when Minnesota comes to town, what do we do to Zach?

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

Poll: on November 11, when Minnesota comes to town, what do we do to Zach? (102 member(s) have cast votes)

What should we do when Parise comes back to Jersey

1. Boo at him every time he touches the puck (43 votes [37.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.72%

2. applaud him before the game for all of his work for the devils (38 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Voted Chant "Kovy's better" (33 votes [28.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

I don't know if this quite belongs here, but since it's the thread I've done the most arguing in, I figure I might as well put it here. Hopefully this will be the last I have to say about the whole thing.

I get being disappointed. I even get being upset to an extent. I don't get seething with the type of anger usually reserved for the girl who dumped you and stomped on your heart... or the muscle-bound meathead she left you for. (Reading back those words, maybe I should get it, but I also don't get forming such a close attachment to a professional athlete that you'd feel the same way about his departure that you'd feel about breaking up with your girlfriend.) And I really don't get having to resort to revisionist history as a coping mechanism, not for something like this.

I didn't blame Rafalski for wanting to go home. I didn't resent Niedermayer for leaving to go play with his brother, even though it spooked Lou into making some of the worst mistakes of his career. Even though I probably should have been mad at Gomez and Holik for jumping to the Rangers, I was more disappointed than anything else; same thing when MacLean signed there after his trade to San Jose. (And with Gomer, I don't quite remember, but I think I was also in the "we're better off without him" camp.) I don't think I felt anything when Martin left. What I'm building up to is this: I can't be angry at Parise for going home with one of his best friends. I'm disappointed that he left, sure, but I can't bring myself to be mad at the guy. He doesn't owe me a damn thing, and I'd be wrong to act like he does.

Finally, DIG's right about Parise's value. He's totally not worth $7.5 million a year for 13 years. He might be just barely worth it for a handful of years, but the contract will outlive his career and by the time it's over, he'll have declined comparable to Pandolfo. Definitely not worth the cap hit the Wild will be stuck with. Long story short, there may be some short-term pain in Devil land without Parise, but long term, we're better off.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#182 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,276 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

I don't know if this quite belongs here, but since it's the thread I've done the most arguing in, I figure I might as well put it here. Hopefully this will be the last I have to say about the whole thing.

I get being disappointed. I even get being upset to an extent. I don't get seething with the type of anger usually reserved for the girl who dumped you and stomped on your heart... or the muscle-bound meathead she left you for. (Reading back those words, maybe I should get it, but I also don't get forming such a close attachment to a professional athlete that you'd feel the same way about his departure that you'd feel about breaking up with your girlfriend.) And I really don't get having to resort to revisionist history as a coping mechanism, not for something like this.

I didn't blame Rafalski for wanting to go home. I didn't resent Niedermayer for leaving to go play with his brother, even though it spooked Lou into making some of the worst mistakes of his career. Even though I probably should have been mad at Gomez and Holik for jumping to the Rangers, I was more disappointed than anything else; same thing when MacLean signed there after his trade to San Jose. (And with Gomer, I don't quite remember, but I think I was also in the "we're better off without him" camp.) I don't think I felt anything when Martin left. What I'm building up to is this: I can't be angry at Parise for going home with one of his best friends. I'm disappointed that he left, sure, but I can't bring myself to be mad at the guy. He doesn't owe me a damn thing, and I'd be wrong to act like he does.

That's how I am, but even I haven't gotten too disappointed over many athletes leaving. Parise would have to be the most disappointed I have been, and I'm not even that disappointed. I expected him to leave, but not even too Minny. I'm more impressed he passed on some great opportunities like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Philly, and Detroit to go home. I honestly don't even remember being upset when Niedermayer, Gomez, or Holik left. Free agency is a right given to all NHL players. Go wherever you want. There is no loyalty in sports and fans always side with management in the end. Ray Allen is one of the classiest players in sports, and a HOF player. The Celtics tried to trade him multiple times over the last year, but it never worked out. They sent him to the bench in the playoffs and even signed a player that plays his position a week ago. Ray ends up signing with the Celtics rivals, the Miami Heat. It's an unbelievable opportunity for him where his strengths will be magnified. Yet the fans are all calling him a traitor and are absolutely crushing him. He thought that all he did for the franchise in helping them win another ring would excuse him, but no chance.

I just don't want players to be total dicks about it. If Zach signed with the Rangers after his comments, I'd prob be ticked for a bit, but probably soon forgive him. I'm a Toronto Raptors fan, and I knew Chris Bosh was going to leave after the 2010 season. I didn't even want him back on the team. But he acted like a douche on his way out. Just two weeks after the season ended he tweeted, "Been wanting to ask, where should I go next season and why." But even after a weeks, I got over it and cheered him on when he won a title this past season. And you can't ask more of a jackass question than that.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#183 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:01 AM

Finally, DIG's right about Parise's value. He's totally not worth $7.5 million a year for 13 years. He might be just barely worth it for a handful of years, but the contract will outlive his career and by the time it's over, he'll have declined comparable to Pandolfo. Definitely not worth the cap hit the Wild will be stuck with. Long story short, there may be some short-term pain in Devil land without Parise, but long term, we're better off.

I feel like this is actually the general sentiment of the board.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users