134 replies to this topic

#61 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

One big reason Parise and Suter were so sought after was because the UFA market is pretty slim this off season.

One big reason it was so slim, the rest of the players were signed to long term deals before hitting UFA.
Parise's injury hurt us a lot more than missing the playoffs last year.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#62 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

THIS. I am glad someone else is annoyed with Lou's procedures that he will not deviate from. It is a BIGGER distraction to let the situation loom. How can anyone ignore the elephant in the room?!? He better change his ways, starting NOW and with Travis. If he pulls this stunt again Travis is out in July...rumor has it Minny will make him a big offer as well. :whistling:

So Zach was a good value for us...but what does that mean now?!?

It means Zach wasn't going to get over-paid here.

If Travis wants to be here next year, he will be. If he doesn't, he won't be. Lou isn't going to spend the season on his knees begging people to play here.

Lou tried a long term deal last summer, but neither side could agree. He offered Zach a contract near the trade deadline, Zach decided to decline and listen to his agents and go to free agency. Lou wasn't going to call Zach every night of the playoffs asking him if he changed his mind.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#63 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

Lou tried a long term deal last summer, but neither side could agree. He offered Zach a contract near the trade deadline, Zach decided to decline and listen to his agents and go to free agency. Lou wasn't going to call Zach every night of the playoffs asking him if he changed his mind.

Apparently in some people's eyes he should have.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#64 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

I have an issue with LL's free agency handlings. It is stubborn and stupid. You do not wait for marquee players to hit free agency. Plain and simple. If you want to retain your best players, you put your best foot/offer forward WELL BEFORE free agency and try to get them to stay. If you cannot come to a deal, you TRADE them before the deadline for whatever assets you can get for them. THE END.

Marquee players WANT to hit the market in many instances. You often make more money when more than one team is bidding for your services. Even very good players (not just the great ones) want to hit the market. Ask Brian Gionta, Scott Gomez and more recently, Dennis Wideman and PA Parenteau.

So don't be shocked when Travis Zajac decides he wants to become unrestricted, too.

You want players to sign earlier, and for less money. Why should they?

Edited by Jerrydevil, 05 July 2012 - 01:06 PM.

#65 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

It means Zach wasn't going to get over-paid here.

If Travis wants to be here next year, he will be. If he doesn't, he won't be. Lou isn't going to spend the season on his knees begging people to play here.

can you please show me reports or rumours of this cause i never saw anything about it... thank you in advance bro. I must be 100% true if you're using it in your arguments as if it was official.

i will be here, waiting.

www.SterioDesign.com

#66 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

can you please show me reports or rumours of this cause i never saw anything about it... thank you in advance bro. I must be 100% true if you're using it in your arguments as if it was official.

i will be here, waiting.

Just going off-hand, I remember reading a couple of reports (I think from TG) about Lou offering Zach a contract and Zach said he wanted to wait until free agency.

#67 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

i will be here, waiting.

There were rumors of a 7/50 contract that floated around in February. I'm not the only one who has mentioned this, so I'm not sure why you are singling me out for it. DevsMan84 seems to remember it too.

I'd like to see your reports or rumors that say a contract was never offered. I'm pretty sure Zach went into silent mode right before the trade deadline and said he wasn't taking questions about it anymore.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 05 July 2012 - 01:38 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#68 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

There were rumors of a 7/50 contract that floated around in February. I'm not the only one who has mentioned this, so I'm not sure why you are singling me out for it. DevsMan84 seems to remember it too.

I'd like to see your reports or rumors that say a contract was never offered. I'm pretty sure Zach went into silent mode right before the trade deadline and said he wasn't taking questions about it anymore.

I remember it as well. It was basically a carbon copy of Marian Hossa's offer that the Pens made him before he walked.

And Zach most definitely did the "Im not talking about that" stance around the deadline.

#69 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

Add me to that list. I remember 7/50 or 7/49.

Edited by Zubie#8, 05 July 2012 - 01:43 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#70 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

im singling you out cause i like you so much dude. I just don't remember hearing anything about it at all and Lou clearly said that he would not talk about contracts before the end of the season. Its true that Zach went in silent mode after the trade deadline tho but he was also sick of it by then. I'd still like to see a report though... not that i don't believe you guys but i'd like to see something.

But why would they tried to "get a deal done" per zach / Lou / Arnott before the deadline if they all knew he was going to July 1st... doesnt make sense at all

www.SterioDesign.com

#71 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

But why would they tried to "get a deal done" per zach / Lou / Arnott before the deadline if they all knew he was going to July 1st... doesnt make sense at all

From all indications, Lou went to Zach around January with this rumored offer. Arnott advised Zach to turn it down and just wait til July. That's what happened.

#72 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

'From all indications'? I mean, it's a rumor reported by a member of this board. A member who I definitely trust, but I don't know his source or what it is. I'm therefore not taking it as gospel.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#73 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

'From all indications'? I mean, it's a rumor reported by a member of this board. A member who I definitely trust, but I don't know his source or what it is. I'm therefore not taking it as gospel.

I don't think he even took it as gospel.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#74 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

i just asked TG about it so we'll see, it could be true but im not gonna let posters here gives me sh!t about what i'm saying using only a rumour for their main argument against it.

www.SterioDesign.com

#75 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

I don't think he even took it as gospel.

Which I didnt, perhaps a bad choice of words "from all indications", but that rumor is not new.

#76 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

i just asked TG about it so we'll see, it could be true but im not gonna let posters here gives me sh!t about what i'm saying using only a rumour for their main argument against it.

Um... all any of us, including yourself, have is rumor and speculation. None of us know what Lou offered last summer. None of us know that he never contacted Zach's people this season. None of us know what the ownership situation really did to affect things. Until about February or so, none of us knew if Zach's knee was going to hold up. All we do know is that the sides couldn't come to a multi-year deal last summer, Zach talked about wanting to stay here all year, everyone went silent in February, Lou gave an offer the last week of June, and Zach decided to do what people had speculated that he would do over a year ago. The rest is rumors and speculation, and I SAID it was a rumor.

There is nothing there that says Lou definitely did or did not make an offer. Like I said, if Zach wanted to be here, we'd be wrapping up the press conference today. You can't force someone to stay.

#77 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

Um... all any of us, including yourself, have is rumor and speculation. None of us know what Lou offered last summer. None of us know that he never contacted Zach's people this season. None of us know what the ownership situation really did to affect things. Until about February or so, none of us knew if Zach's knee was going to hold up. All we do know is that the sides couldn't come to a multi-year deal last summer, Zach talked about wanting to stay here all year, everyone went silent in February, Lou gave an offer the last week of June, and Zach decided to do what people had speculated that he would do over a year ago. The rest is rumors and speculation, and I SAID it was a rumor.

There is nothing there that says Lou definitely did or did not make an offer. Like I said, if Zach wanted to be here, we'd be wrapping up the press conference today. You can't force someone to stay.

HE OFFERED ZACH A CONTRACT. ZACHS AGENTS TOLD HIM TO WAIT FOR FREE AGENCY.

Why can't you get that?!?

you looked pretty damn 100% sure that he did make an offer there... are you often screaming at people trying to make them feel stupid simply based on rumours and then the day after say that no one really knows if it was true or not? You may need some pills bro.

www.SterioDesign.com

#78 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

you looked pretty damn 100% sure that he did make an offer there... are you often screaming at people trying to make them feel stupid simply based on rumours and then the day after say that no one really knows if it was true or not? You may need some pills bro.

I went caps lock because you seemed to have problems reading it when me and 10 other people brought it up, and you'd spent 4 days flipping out about the whole situation. I wasn't trying to 'make you feel stupid'. Your theory of Lou napping for 6 months and refusing to talk to Zach was baseless. He isn't going to go down on bended knee and beg someone to stay. Last week, he offered what he felt was fair, and both sides agreed it was a competitive offer.

Yet, you seem pretty damn 100% sure that he did absolutely nothing until last week. So much so that you made a whole thread dedicated to it. That may be the first time I've 'screamed' (little over sensitive, there) in my 5 years on this board. But you've been whining for weeks and it got old.

#79 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Seems like LL offered a good deal., Zach obvisouly wanted to go home... he will never win a cup but but thats his problem not ours...

I just hope Kovy can live upoto his contract
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#80 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

I went caps lock because you seemed to have problems reading it when me and 10 other people brought it up, and you'd spent 4 days flipping out about the whole situation. I wasn't trying to 'make you feel stupid'. Your theory of Lou napping for 6 months and refusing to talk to Zach was baseless. He isn't going to go down on bended knee and beg someone to stay. Last week, he offered what he felt was fair, and both sides agreed it was a competitive offer.

Yet, you seem pretty damn 100% sure that he did absolutely nothing until last week. So much so that you made a whole thread dedicated to it. That may be the first time I've 'screamed' (little over sensitive, there) in my 5 years on this board. But you've been whining for weeks and it got old.

dude you can't be serious. You blame me for having problem reading stuff and i told like 10 times directly to you that this thread doesnt have anything to do directly with Zach's case but simply Lou's way.

And its not baseless at all, reports and interviews from TG, Lou, Zach and Arnott ALL SAID that there was no talks at all between them, NONE and they all said that Lou was waiting after the season. If those reports or those people we're lying about it well there's nothing i can do about it, but at least its coming directly from them and its still better than "rumours". Plus we all KNOW that Lou doesnt want to negotiate during the season, it's a well known fact.

And i never said that Lou should have got on his knee during the season either, to at least approach your captain and star player 1 week before july 1st is not the best way to go, plain and simple. PLUS Zach was saying he wanted to negotiate and stay there, WHY WAIT THEN? just try to get it done. Nop instead Zach had to go through hell with the medias for like 6 months.

Edited by SterioDesign, 05 July 2012 - 03:18 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users