134 replies to this topic

#121 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,535 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

Again. Our success is in the #'s. The NHL is a different game since the trapezoid and rule changes. Theres a reason no team has repeat as Cup champs in so long. The cap has changed so much, yet we're still making the playoffs minus 1 time and have won a division title without any of the free agents we've lost. We will win without Zach Parise. Theres no reason to believe we won't.

More often than not, Lou has made the right choice when it comes to our free agents. He's not perfect and I don't think anyone would say he is, but I'd surely rather have Lou making the decisions at age 75 than bring in a dipsh!t like Jay Feaster or Paul Holmgren or Glen Sather.

If we were the Toronto Maple Leafs, Lou would have a statue built outside the ACC of him by now.

Not only this, think about teams that have been great over the course of the Devils' 3 Stanley Cups until now who haven't won it all - the Pronger and MacInnis Blues. The Senators from 2003-2008. The post-Thornton Sharks. The Flyers have made the playoffs every year except 1 and been to the Conference Finals 6 times and haven't won a Stanley Cup in that time. The recent Capitals. The recent Canucks. They've all been labeled chokers at one time or another, but these teams were real good, and a lot of them could've been deserving Cup winners. Hell, the Wings have probably been a legit contender every year since 1994 and have won the thing 4 times. It's really goddamn hard to win a Stanley Cup.

Edited by Triumph, 05 July 2012 - 08:41 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#122 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

Not only this, think about teams that have been great over the course of the Devils' 3 Stanley Cups until now who haven't won it all - the Pronger and MacInnis Blues. The Senators from 2003-2008. The post-Thornton Sharks. The Flyers have made the playoffs every year except 1 and been to the Conference Finals 6 times and haven't won a Stanley Cup in that time. The recent Capitals. They've all been labeled chokers at one time or another, but these teams were real good, and a lot of them could've been deserving Cup winners. Hell, the Wings have probably been a legit contender every year since 1994 and have won the thing 4 times. It's really goddamn hard to win a Stanley Cup.

All great points Tri. BUT, we were so conditioned to postseason flops after 03, that they were all ecstatic when we beat the Panthers in the first round. Yes, obviously winning a playoff round is a huge feat. But...during the glory years we would take it for granted and expect a 1st round victory. Very different times for sure. Several teams during that span have definitely had better overall playoff success. I just hope Lou does not follow protocol with Zajac. If he does, I am pretty confident #19 will also be packin his bags. BTW, did you ever see my post asking you what you would offer Semin if you were Lou?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#123 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

All great points Tri. BUT, we were so conditioned to postseason flops after 03, that they were all ecstatic when we beat the Panthers in the first round. Yes, obviously winning a playoff round is a huge feat. But...during the glory years we would take it for granted and expect a 1st round victory. Very different times for sure. Several teams during that span have definitely had better overall playoff success. I just hope Lou does not follow protocol with Zajac. If he does, I am pretty confident #19 will also be packin his bags. BTW, did you ever see my post asking you what you would offer Semin if you were Lou?

Outside of the 00-03 run, the Devils had plenty of first and second exits. I can tell you, we sure didn't take the late 90's for granted. That 00-03 run was phenomenal, but name one other team who has had a run like that in the same time. Detroit? That's really all that I could think of. Maybe Pittsburgh. That's an incredibly high standard.

94 - conference finals
95 - Cup
96 - no playoffs
97 - 2nd round
98 - 1st round
99 - 1st round
00 - cup
01 - finals
02 - 1st round
03 - cup
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#124 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

Outside of the 00-03 run, the Devils had plenty of first and second exits. I can tell you, we sure didn't take the late 90's for granted. That 00-03 run was phenomenal, but name one other team who has had a run like that in the same time. Detroit? That's really all that I could think of. Maybe Pittsburgh. That's an incredibly high standard.

94 - conference finals
95 - Cup
96 - no playoffs
97 - 2nd round
98 - 1st round
99 - 1st round
00 - cup
01 - finals
02 - 1st round
03 - cup

In that time, Detroit would be the other team. Earlier in the post we were discussing 03-this year, as an example of the playoff lows.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#125 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

I think those who are upset at our success should experiment with being Blue Jackets fans next season.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#126 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,474 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

I think those who are upset at our success should experiment with being Blue Jackets fans next season.

Same exact season. 1 team wins the cup and 29 teams are identical losers.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#127 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

Same exact season. 1 team wins the cup and 29 teams are identical losers.

A good season for a Blue Jackets fan is not finishing in last place.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#128 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

A good season for a Blue Jackets fan is not finishing in last place.

And not losing Rick Nash...I dont think they're going to start this season on the right foot.

#129 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,699 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

In that time, Detroit would be the other team. Earlier in the post we were discussing 03-this year, as an example of the playoff lows.

I took a look at the playoffs since 2003. Jersey really hasn't been that bad. For example, they've won only 5 playoff rounds, but thats more than 1 Cup team and only 1 less series win than 4 other cup winners. They are tied for the second most playoff appearances, and only 10 teams have won more series since 2003. I definitely still put the Devils upper-middle of the pack, which is impressive.

Appearances: 8: Detroit, San Jose 7: Philly, New Jersey, Nashville 6: Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Rangers, Pittsburgh 5: Washington, Calgary, Anaheim 4: Chicago, Tampa, Colorado, Dallas, Buffalo 3: Los Angeles, St Louis, Phoenix 2: Minnesota, Islanders, Carolina 1: Columbus, Florida, Toronto, Edmonton, Atlanta

Series Wins: 12: Detroit 9: Philly, San Jose 8: Pittsburgh 7: Anaheim 6: Chicago, Tampa, Boston, Vancouver, Carolina 5: New Jersey 4: Los Angeles, Montreal, Ottawa, Buffalo, Rangers 3: Washington, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton 2: Nashville, Dallas, Phoenix 1: Toronto, St Louis 0: Columbus, Minnesota, Islanders, Atlanta

Finals:Chicago, Los Angeles, Tampa, Boston, Philly, New Jersey, Ottawa, Detroit(2), Vancouver, Calgary, Carolina, Edmonton, Anaheim, Pittsburgh(2)

Cups: Chicago, Los Angeles, Tampa, Boston, Detroit, Carolina, Anaheim, Pittsburgh
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#130 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,731 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

So it was all fun and all but im still waiting for a serious answer...

do you guys think that Getzlaf and Perry won't be approach for negotiations until one week before free agency next season?

www.SterioDesign.com

#131 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

do you guys think that Getzlaf and Perry won't be approach for negotiations until one week before free agency next season?

I think Getzlaf is dealt. Perry will probably be approached.

#132 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,731 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

I think Getzlaf is dealt. Perry will probably be approached.

They already reached out... at least its something

The earliest Murray can sign either or both to is Sunday but that won’t happen. However, Murray said extending both is a priority.
“I think it’s imperative for the hockey team,” he said. ”We’ve reached out to the agents and that will be an ongoing process. I don’t think it’s going to happen overnight. But we’ve reached out to both sides.
“It’s something that will be ongoing and we’ll work at it. I don’t think it’s something that you need to read in the paper every day. We’re going to work at it and when we get it done, we’ll tell you.”

http://ducks.ocregis...erative/111790/

www.SterioDesign.com

#133 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,699 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

No idea. They might, but that's a different organization. Maybe one or both of them will want to go to free agency.

#134 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#135 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Posted Image

I've always pictured Lou using Coach Red Beaulieu's line in "The Waterboy", in conversations with people:

Example:

Zach: Lou, I love the Devils, I love the organization, but I've decided to sign with Minnesota. I'm really sorry.

Lou: Ever see a champion ring? *shows ring* You're messing with a champ. *winks*

Edited by ben00rs, 06 July 2012 - 07:53 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users