Photo

Should the New Jersey Devils Consider Going After Alexander Semin?

• Please log in to reply
384 replies to this topic

#201 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:37 AM

don cherry as coach?

Tort would work lol

www.SterioDesign.com

#202 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

Lot of rumors... To pitts for one year...

pfff....

#203 giodude

giodude

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

Say Alex Semin 10 times fast.

I just got a lot of strange looks at work :blink:
Posted Image

#204 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

Lot of rumors... To pitts for one year...

pfff....

I'm sure he can do better than a one year deal.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#205 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

I'm sure he can do better than a one year deal.

For a guy like Semin, a 1-year deal in pittsburgh could bode very well for his future. If he puts up another 40 goals because he's next to Crosby, an idiot GM will pay him twice as much as he'll get on the open market this year.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#206 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

For a guy like Semin, a 1-year deal in pittsburgh could bode very well for his future. If he puts up another 40 goals because he's next to Crosby, an idiot GM will pay him twice as much as he'll get on the open market this year.

Depends on what you can get away with in the next CBA.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#207 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

On the flipside, a 1 year deal in NJ could bode very well for Semin since we have a track record for redeeming Russians with not so stellar reputations.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#208 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

On the flipside, a 1 year deal in NJ could bode very well for Semin since we have a track record for redeeming Russians with not so stellar reputations.

I don't think a 1-year deal makes sense from NJ's standpoint whatsoever, though. What do we have, 5 skaters signed through next season? If he's looking for a multi-year deal, honestly, with the amount of Cap (I'm talking cap not actual financial) room we have, I wouldn't mind him. I think Semin on a line with Kovalchuk could be all kinds of deadly, and our top-6 is just as powerful as it was last year. Without Semin, or a trade, we take our mediocre offense back to terrible. We've gotta somehow account for Parise's ~35 goals, expect a huge drop in production from Clarkson, and probably figure for a drop from Elias. I don't see that being made up by Henrique (assuming he doesn't have a soph slump) and Josefson.

It's pretty clear (captain obvious, I know) that we need at least one more forward who can play in our top 6. I don't see the harm in choosing Semin.

Posted Image

#209 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,954 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Maybe in years, but I don't think many teams are worried about giving him $6-7 million for one year. I guess Semin wants to stay in the US because he can make a fortune in the KHL. Even with a 1-year deal, he's safe no matter what happens unless their is a career-threatening injury. If he goes to Pitt on a 1-year, changes his game a bit, has a good rapport with his teammates and plays well. he could parlay that into a long-term deal with Pitt, and it wouldn't be dumb of a GM. Playing with Crosby or Malkin full-time will be huge for him.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#210 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

Depends on what you can get away with in the next CBA.

Yea this and just on a simple level, if the cap moves downwards it won't bode well for Semin.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#211 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

Reading various rumors that Semin wants $8M per. Nothing substantial or verifiable, but the asking price may be whats holding up him signing anywhere.

#212 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

Reading various rumors that Semin wants $8M per. Nothing substantial or verifiable, but the asking price may be whats holding up him signing anywhere.

... Well then neverminddddddd

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#213 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

If that is the case, I want some of what he is smoking! I would love to see the Devils sign him at a cap hit of $6-7/Mill per year for 4 or 5 years. Seems like Mr. Semin should pack his bags for Russia and head to the K....

Edited by ThreeCups, 11 July 2012 - 03:51 PM.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#214 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

He'd have to be on some serious stuff.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#215 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

No way in hell Lou pays him a dime over Kovy's cap hit... If I'm Lou, I say $6.4M max or get the hell out..

#216 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

If that is the case, I want some of what he is smoking! I would love to see the Devils sign him at a cap hit of $6-7/Mill per year for 4 or 5 years. Seems like Mr. Semin should pack his bags for Russia and head to the K....

Yea, that $8M asking price seems like a bunch of BS. The most tangible rumors are of him signing with the Pens for a year. There's just nothing really concrete about him out there. At least with the Doan rumors some of them are coming from legitimate sources. The Semin stuff is far less believable.

#217 giodude

giodude

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

Good lord haha, so much for Semin the new #9 :glare:
Posted Image

#218 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

Any links or quotes? Because "various sources" probably just means 13 year olds who play NHL12 and paid him that much cuz he has a 93 rating on his wrist shot.

Posted Image

#219 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

Any links or quotes? Because "various sources" probably just means 13 year olds who play NHL12 and paid him that much cuz he has a 93 rating on his wrist shot.

Just Twitter people talking about it. I tried to trace it to the source, but could find nothing.

#220 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

Just Twitter people talking about it. I tried to trace it to the source, but could find nothing.

People on twitter post regularly about their bowl movements. Unless it's a confirmed source, I don't know why members (not you, I don't want you to think I'm calling you out because you mentioned it was just sh!t twitter) post this sh!t as if it's a legit source. If I create a twitter and post "Semin in NJ today, walked out of the prudential center with a big grin on his face #Semin #NHLDevils, I absolutely gaurentee it gets posted 40 times on this site. It's idiotic.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users